Technician

C3220 Says PAPER JAM at Fuser, no paper, no jam...

This is making me think there's a ghost in my office.

My C3220 suddenly decided there was a paper jam at the fuser. I opened the drawer and inspected, no paper, no jam. I took out the fuser and inspected it, and inspected everywhere there could be paper, found nothing.

When I turn the machine on it starts up and immediately goes to the "JAM at Fuser" display. It's says to open the drawer, push down the lever that opens the fuser rollers, check the exit and close the drawer. Jam does not go away.

Here's the really weird part. I found two more of these C3320's that someone was giving away. They are very clean inside and out. One had four basically new drums and full toners, the other had a fuser. I put the fuser into the one with the drums and toners, turned it on, and it ran the start up page but it jammed at the fuser. Now when i turn it on I get the same exact "Jam at Fuser" indicator on screen. These machines are in totally different rooms and the new one isn't even connected to the network yet. I just wanted to see if it would work first.

How is it possible to get the same "Jam" on two machines, totally separate, in two different rooms, when there is no jam?

I am so confused.... Anyone have any ideas?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: C3220 Says PAPER JAM at Fuser, no paper, no jam...

This was a common fault on these old boxes, the fusers on this model are basically all plastic, & over time with heat the plastic warps, especially the guides & sensor flags to a point where they stick & hit the sensor thus showing a "phantom jam"

Also the vertical door above the fuser, the sensor arm there can break causing the same issue.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician

Thanks for the reply, but is there a solution?

While fiddling with the fuser I did manage to break the sensor arm, I think that's the part. It goes from the center roller to the left side and activates a sensor.

Can I trick it into thinking it's in the right position?

The fuser is not very old and has fewer than 5k copies on it.

I also find it very odd that I would get the same problem on two totally separate machines.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by msiudy View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but is there a solution?

While fiddling with the fuser I did manage to break the sensor arm, I think that's the part. It goes from the center roller to the left side and activates a sensor.

Can I trick it into thinking it's in the right position?

The fuser is not very old and has fewer than 5k copies on it.

I also find it very odd that I would get the same problem on two totally separate machines.

Thanks.
    In your own words "You broke the sensor arm"?
    No further questions your honour......

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    In your own words "You broke the sensor arm"?
    No further questions your honour......

I should have been clearer on that. I put the new fuser in, with NO broken parts. Same message.

That broken part IS NOT in the machine and not related to the problem.

So, what's the fix?

Further cross examination is in order.

To recap - BEFORE I broke the sensor arm I had the "jam" message. While I was fiddling around I broke the sensor arm. replaced the whole fuser with a new one. Same ghost "jam" message. So, no, the broken sensor arm has nothing to do with it. It's not even in the machine. Furthermore, this same "jam" message appeared in both machines, long before I interchanged any parts, and long before I broke the sensor arm. I find it hard to believe that both machines would produce the same ghost "jam". The newer machine just arrived last week from another location.

There has to be a common denominator to this, even though BOTH machines are totally separate and gave the same error.

All drums and toners are good in both machines.
    Paper is 70lb opaque, a good quality paper.
    Everything is functional on both machines except for the ghost "jam", which makes them both not even go through the start up procedure.

Sorry if I confused you with the broken sensor arm, but that has been replaced with a new fuser unit. Not the issue.

I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I wouldn't expect it to work if I was using it with a broken part....

Lightbulb Re: C3220 Says PAPER JAM at Fuser, no paper, no jam...

Ok, I understand. On this model even if you clear a jam etc it will want you to open EVERY door to clear the jam message even the paper cassette!

Put the fusers units back in their original machines do they both still show a jam?
    But the fuser you broke the arm in will always show a jam.

Technician

I opened every single door, drawer, etc. Still says jam at fuser.

I am certain this is something very simple, it's just not obvious. There has to be something off just a little bit and it kicks the sensor.

The only other clue I can offer is that this "jam" occurred after there was an actual jam at that location. And they weren't jams, the paper just stopped 1/3 of the way through the fuser and said there was a jam.

Someone else mentioned the rubber exit rollers, if they were soft and mushy it could create the "jam". Those rollers on the new machine are in very good condition.

I have had several of these machines over the years and know them fairly well, I've never seen anything like this.

Then they both won't even get through start up without saying there is a jam.

Having the same thing happen on two machines is like the chance of getting struck by lightning on a sunny day....

Technician

I found the answer to this!

It's the sensor at the end of the arm on the fuser, well, not really, it's the sensor arm. I noticed that on both fusers the arms were not exactly straight, they drooped a little. I guess from the heat of the fuser over time makes them droop a little.

At the end of that arm is the piece that activates the sensor. With the droop, it activates the sensor before paper shows up, therefore, the jam.

On the end that contacts the sensor there is a little "toe". I took an exacto knife and trimmed off a little of that toe. It works perfectly.

If you do this, pay attention to how the little spring sits on the roller end of the arm so you can replace it properly.

Anyone who needs clarification on this can contact me.

Thanks for the help from London. You were correct (a little bit) when you said the plastic warps from the heat of the fuser. It's just that the warp shows up on the sensor arm and it droops. Shave a little off the "toe" and you're back in business!