Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    yuppicide

ImageRunner 2000 squeaks

I have a Canon Imagerunner 2000 that squeaks when making copies. We're a small office, so this machine doesn't get a lot of use. Usually when it starts up and you make a copy or two it's fine, it'll eventually go back into Energy Saver mode. It is when you start making 5 or 6 copies or so it squeaks. Listening to the sound it seems to be coming from whatever is to the left side of the "[2] Delivery tray". Whatever parts are inside "[6] Left cover". I got those part names from the Service Manual.

Unfortunately, I don't have a service contract on this unit any more. The company that serviced it for many years no longer does this unit because it's so old, and now they no longer do Canon completely. I'd like to see if it's something I can do myself or maybe a part to be replace like drum or something.

What's odd is while we had a service contract the copies would come out crooked sometimes. Would start happening every 6 months or a year maybe. The service guy would come out and do maintenance on the unit. He would fix whatever caused the crooked copies. Since we've had no service contract for a few years now, the copier never prints cooked.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    ImageRunner 2000 squeaks

Re: ImageRunner 2000 squeaks

this is an older, fairly light duty, low end machine made up of a lot of plastic parts. The noise could be coming from any number of drive gears, bushing, bearings, drive roller, drum unit, fuser assembly, developer assembly, waste toner auger or something outside of what I have already listed. To blindly replace parts trying to troubleshoot a noise can get expensive and time consuming. I would recommend finding an authorized dealer in your area that would repair your machine on a charge call basis.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

I *hate* calls on a printer that "squeaks"... Like charm5496 says, it can be -anything that moves or turns- in the machine, especialy when it gets rather old.
    Plastic and rubber 'dries out' so no. of copy's is not always relevant...

Sometimes you can get lucky in pinpointing the culpret part, sometimes with an well aimed spray of oil or a gob of grease. Part-check often is a great help, turning motors and part on one-by-one...

But if i have the chance i stay away from these issues..

yuppicide

Thanks for the replies. We have a printer which also copies, so if need be I can use that.

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts
    ImageRunner 2000 squeaks

I Agree. Also many times parts won't squeak if you turning by hand.Can be a big deal.

I bet on worn pickup or drum.
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

yuppicide

Quote Originally Posted by zoraldinho View Post
    I Agree. Also many times parts won't squeak if you turning by hand.Can be a big deal.

I bet on worn pickup or drum.
    You may be right on the drum, I just didn't know a drum could be a cause of noise, because now sometimes the copies are coming out bad. Someone came to me yesterday saying that the bottom of his copy didn't come out clear. I said maybe it's the original you have, but putting it in our multifunction printer it copied fine. So I took a full image of a model wearing clothes and copied it. Comes out lighter in color and missing sections (white streaks). I've cleaned a few things that the service manual recommends and I've ran the cleaning mode which prints out the arrow shaped paper which you insert in the manual feed slot. That did nothing.

I'm not sure what drums go for, but Brother laser printers are ridiculous.. the drum for one of our printers is $201.49 at Staples. Yet the whole printer cost me $199 with a second paper tray for free which was a promotion at the time. I could just go out and buy a new printer instead of a drum and throw this one out. I wrote to Brother one time saying "you mean to tell me if you sell me the printer without the drum I'd pay $0 for it?" because $199 printer minus the drum price = free.

If one drum fails, within some the others will too..
    If you doubt the printer is worth one new drum...

yuppicide

Quote Originally Posted by JPiek View Post
    If one drum fails, within some the others will too..
    If you doubt the printer is worth one new drum...
    It's not that I doubt the printer/copier/fax is worth the drum.. it's the fact that for the price of a drum, I can buy the same printer brand new which includes the new drum.

If a part is more expensive than the whole (or a new) unit, that is "not worth it" in my book. I'd rather have a new unit than a new part.

If it's an old machine, more parts will have to be replaced in the future... you will spend more than just the cost of this drum....

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

There is a tech where ever you are located, just post on here and I am sure you will find one.