Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    saddle finisher v2 - Knurled belt assy

hi,

This saddle finisher is on a ir7105, a couple of pieces are broken on the Knurled belt assy, this machine has over 4 million copies so we are replacing the Knurled belt assy because of the broken parts. Has anyone replaced it, I cant see in the service manual how to replace it, there is a section on the Belt controller unit, but dont think thats how to replace the Knurled belt assy....does anyone know how to replace it and how long roughly if never attempted before?

tks

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: saddle finisher v2 - Knurled belt assy

Quote Originally Posted by MunsterTech View Post
    hi,

This saddle finisher is on a ir7105, a couple of pieces are broken on the Knurled belt assy, this machine has over 4 million copies so we are replacing the Knurled belt assy because of the broken parts. Has anyone replaced it, I cant see in the service manual how to replace it, there is a section on the Belt controller unit, but dont think thats how to replace the Knurled belt assy....does anyone know how to replace it and how long roughly if never attempted before?

tks
    It's fairly easy(after the first time) but time consuming approximately 1.25hrs.

1.separate fin and machine
    2. Remove inner cover
    3. Remove top rear cover
    4. From machine side, remove 2 sheet catch brackets. These are L shaped metal with white plastic flaper on slides single screw on bottom of process tray.
    5. Manually, ensure paper exit guides are in down position. If you look inside from door you should see a brown spiked gear with a white cam that leavers these when rotated.
    6. Remove tray rail lock, located on door hinge side one screw on silver bracket.
    7. Remove upper and lower "wall" covers by sliding trays up and down, once removed position them so tray A is at the top and Tray be is at the bottom.
    8. Disconnect 7 connections at lower left.
    9. Remove 4 screws, one in each corner of process tray assembly. Note, start at top, if previous steps done correctly the bottom will swing out approximately 1 inch indicating it is free.
    10. Remove process tray assembly, lift up and pull out.
    Exposes the knurler belts assembly, nope not done yet...
    11. From machine side disconnect 3 connectors and one sensor located on the right/rear side. You will need to also undo the wire saddles.
    12. From the front side you will see 2 holes through the frame metal, remove those screws.
    13. From the rear, you will see identical holes through the frame metal. One is hidden below the transport pcb.
    14. From paper exit side you should now be able to remove knurler belt assembly. It WILL take some finagling, HINT remove right/front side first.

Hope it was easy to follow!
    Some people may say I have a short temper, but I prefer to call it
    "A swift and assertive reaction to bullshit"

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

thanks very much for that, not looking forward to attempting this but ill give it a go....tks again

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

just take your time. It is not as hard as it appears
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Man About Town 250+ Posts CanonSco's Avatar

I had to do the belt control assy for E587 / noise on a 7086 today, first time ever in the however many years that machine has been out.

Not as bad as I had first thought. Did it in-situ from back of the finisher.
    Yes, I am a nerd.
    Gaming PC - check. Raspberry Pi - Check. Custom ROM on phone - check. Thick glasses - check.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

hey everyone,

with a help from another tech, got it out very easy from the front of the finisher, moved the bins out the way, cover off and took off another assy and got the knurled belt assy out, alot harder putting it back though...but thanks for all the info, hopefully ill be retired the time that needs replacing again!