Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canon iR-ADV C3325 - Scan to Email (SMTP) Issues

Hi Guys,

We have got a iR-ADV C3325 and I am unable to get Scan to Email working using SMTP. I have configured what I thought was all the relevant settings however when testing I receive an error code of #810 ("POP server comm. error. Check server name in POP Server Settings under Comm. Settings & in DNS Settings."). I am unsure why I'm getting a pop error when using SMTP. Here is a shot of the settings page with how it is configured - Pasteboard — Uploaded Image (the password was entered in both boxes for SMTP and I checked changed password).

I also reboot the machine (remotely, not using the physical switch) after changing any settings but it still doesn't work, I did a bit of searching and I saw somewhere that the SMTP port needs to be 587 and so I went into service mode and changed that too - Pasteboard — Uploaded Image, after rebooting I still get the 810 error.

We are using NHS mail and so I thought it may be an issue with them. I downloaded a command line app called 'Send It Quiet' and I can successfully send an email using that with the below command. I have obviously removed the sensitive information, but seen as this works I cannot get why the machine won't. Am I missing something obvious? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Code:
    senditquiet.exe -s send.nhs.net -port 587 -u username@nhs.net -protocol ssl -p Password -f username@nhs.net -t me@nhs.net -subject "Send it quiet - SMTP Test" -body "Hello there, this a test."
    pause

Senior Tech 250+ Posts alex@wocltd.com's Avatar

Re: Canon iR-ADV C3325 - Scan to Email (SMTP) Issues

first remove any pop settings - you dont need then

2nd is the account ssl ? have you enabled it?

Quote Originally Posted by alex@wocltd.com View Post
    first remove any pop settings - you dont need then

2nd is the account ssl ? have you enabled it?
    Thanks for your reply Alex. Yes SSL is enabled, I've tried it with both 'ON' and 'Always SSL' settings.

As for the pop settings, I assumed the 'E-Mail Address' field below 'SMTP Server' relates to SMTP (highlighted here - Pasteboard — Uploaded Image) however I have removed that and now get a different error, #752 "SMTP server communication error. Check DNS Settings, Communication Settings, and the SMTP server status."

At least its an SMTP error, closer to the goal. Any other ideas?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Yes uncheck all the POP settings.

Have you entered the gateway & DNS settings correctly?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

anything can go in that email address. We usually a 'scan@donotreply.com' or something along those lines
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

first check via any other mail client ie outlook using the same credentials that you can send - do not worry about rx issues

2nd use googles dns 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

I have sent up for internal use two accounts one enabled with ssl one without - the majority of the time both account will works so for whatever reason I have two 'provable' accounts

- if either of those dont work I can at least explain to client that it is a restriction within their infrastructure preventing outbound traffic - happens alot at serviced offices whereby you do a fallback to either scan to folder or ftp.

Too many times have colleagues been left battling with an account supplied by client that is either not valid/correct/misspelt

as tip set up a free gmail account enable it for pop and remember to enable ssl and you will have a workable email to use virtually anywhere

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

You can put in the pop settings. The Canon will use those if there is a problem with Authentication. Its actually recommended that the pop send settings go in.

by adding pop settings you are adding to potential problem especially if say you set to authenticate before sending - 302 Found

you only need to set the smtp side of things ,,,,,,,,,,

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alex@wocltd.com View Post
    Too many times have colleagues been left battling with an account supplied by client that is either not valid/correct/misspelt

as tip set up a free gmail account enable it for pop and remember to enable ssl and you will have a workable email to use virtually anywhere
    Please correct me if i am wrong but recently I learned that gmail accounts used for SMTP was not a good idea because google was keeping a copy on their servers. Please correct me if I am wrong! I wouldn't want a customer to ask me about this- have to prove they didnt and find out they do keep a copy. Those free accounts are not hippa complaint either. We set up an account through Network Solutions to use for the machines authentication. Cost is about $50.00 a year.

It is possible to get errors or problems using the second SMTP authentication page on a machine such as the C5000. In this case POP can help. You dont turn pop on! - Leave it off. You can Just put in the IP address of the SMTP server email and password in the POP fields. The SMTP Server will use these credentials to auth off of. This is a valid method of getting around stubborn SMTP auth settings that are correct but give errors. When this is done... the SMTP AUth button is turned off.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

so what are they using for email communication in that office then? If they are using gmail for that, then they are probably not HIPPA compliant there either. I do not have the answer to which you are asking for the scans, but I would assume that google is grabbing them. They want all the information that they can get there hands on.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.