Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sarky9

Canon IR C4080i paper jam/scan problem

Hello,

I just bought and sell a Canon IR C4080i, when I tested it, it fully works. But when I delivered it to my customer, it doesn't work. I had an error everytime I would print. At the beginning I thought it was a software problem, so, I reset some components of the printer via the service mode.
    But when I turn it ON, the printer shown an error code, an this error code, changed everytime I turn it off and on again.
    Then, I saw in internet that this error codes was hardware problem, so, I decided to open up the back cover of the printer to access to the motherboard. Given the dust on the components, I decided to remove all the cards, clean the contacts and try to turn the printer ON again. And it was working ! Then, I made factory reset via the UI of the printer, and after a while, the printer turn OFF and ON again.
    But now when I want to print or copy, the printer jamming immediately... I hear the paper feed in the printer, but some seconds after, the printer stop with paper jam alert on the screen without error codes, and when I open the fusing unit drawer to eliminate the paper jam, I can see the sheet placed on the fusing unit just before the fusing rollers, and the sheet is not print (no toner on it) or crumple.
    And since the factory reset, when I try to scan with the feeder on the top (not with the glass) I have scan paper jam error immediately I put my paper sheet, and the only way to make it disappear, is to turn the printer OFF and ON again.

I tried to print/copy with A3/A4, to change the paper format in the paper drawer, I cleaned all the sensor, I have a finishing unit (staples) and I try to remove/unplug it, but nothing work. I have access to the service mode, and I can change some hardware parts if needed.
    I 'm really desperate. When I tested it was working well (no paper jam), and when I deliver it, all this problem appears, I conclude that the first one was due to the dust, but I don't understand why it jamming instantly... The printer wasn't hit during the transportation, we just make roll it on the asphalt for some meters to bring it to my customer's office.

I really hope you could help me.
    Thanks a lot for all.

Alexandre

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Canon IR C4080i paper jam/scan problem

First, there is no factory reset on this model.
    U can clear DCON, R-CON, MNCON, but before clearing them u need p print settings to re_input from them.

Second, remove Finisher, Now work on isolating issues with printer.

Third, I would never purchase that series of canon models.
    Fuser unit cost 1,000.00 US, ITB UNIT stinks, DF UNIT has multiple issues.

Cassett trays have issues with the plastic post breaking that holds a plastic gear , when broken or gear falls off, paper width plate slides away causing poor size read & feed.
    Remove trays & paper, turn over tray and shake, see if anything falls out, or lift plate to view if gear is in place.

Re Check all connections on all boards removed.
    Check right side door position.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

sarky9

First, thanks for your quit reply, and for your help.

I use the wrong word about factory reset. I would say that I go in the UI of the printer to select "initialize the printer", it's not the same things obviously, and I'm sorry about it.
    Thanks about the informations of the printer, I thought it was a good one... But no it's too late.

I already did all the things you tell, and nothing had worked, as I said, removed the finisher cause the same jamming problem, and the top scanner (not the glass, I forget the word in english) doesn't work too.

I thought about a "BODY" setting in the service mode that was reseted with the printer initialization, but I don't know which one, I could take a photo of the screen if it can help you.

Thanks for your help.
    All the best,

Alexandre

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sarky9 View Post

I use the wrong word about factory reset. I would say that I go in the UI of the printer to select "initialize the printer", it's not the same things obviously, and I'm sorry about it.
    Thanks about the informations of the printer, I thought it was a good one... But no it's too late.

I already did all the things you tell, and nothing had worked, as I said, removed the finisher cause the same jamming problem, and the top scanner (not the glass, I forget the word in english) doesn't work too.

I thought about a "BODY" setting in the service mode that was reseted with the printer initialization, but I don't know which one, I could take a photo of the screen if it can help you.

Thanks for your help.
    All the best,

Alexandre
    =================================================

service mode has jam codes listed , take a clear picture and post it here

Touch the appropriate notation for details.
    [1] To go to the previous page.
    [2] To go to the next page.
    [3] To find out the order of jams.
    [4] To find out the type of jam.
    [5] To find the sensor in question.
    [6] To go to the previous Jam screen.
    [7] To go to the next Jam screen.
    <No.> Indicates the order of jams; 1 through 50 (the higher the number, the older the jam).
    <DATE> indicates the date of occurrence of the jam in question.
    <TIME1> indicates the time of occurrence of the jam in question.
    <TIME2> indicates the time of jam recovery.
    <L> indicates the location of the jam in question; 0 to 2 (0: copier; 1: feeder; 2: finisher).
    <CODE> indicates the jam code in question.
    <P> indicates the source of paper.

1: cassette 1
    2: cassette 2
    3: cassette 3
    4: cassette 4
    5: side paper deck
    6: manual feed tray
    7: duplexing assembly
    <CNTR> indicates the reading of the soft counter used for the source of paper.
    <SIZE> indicates the size of paper.
    Last edited by teckat; 06-30-2016 at 03:49 PM.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Thanks for your help.
    All the best,

Alexandre

Try the bypass tray on right side. Maybe the paper selector is wrong on the cassettes.

sarky9

thanks dan7777, I forget to say that I already test it, and paper jam too :/

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

thanks dan7777, I forget to say that I already test it, and paper jam too :/
    You are going to have to go into service mode and get the jam code. If you took the boards out you may have missed a connector. I doubt anyone can help you with the info you have provided.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I feel like a manual would do a lot of good at this point. Do you have one yet?
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

sarky9

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    =================================================

service mode has jam codes listed , take a clear picture and post it here

Touch the appropriate notation for details.
    [1] To go to the previous page.
    [2] To go to the next page.
    [3] To find out the order of jams.
    [4] To find out the type of jam.
    [5] To find the sensor in question.
    [6] To go to the previous Jam screen.
    [7] To go to the next Jam screen.
    <No.> Indicates the order of jams; 1 through 50 (the higher the number, the older the jam).
    <DATE> indicates the date of occurrence of the jam in question.
    <TIME1> indicates the time of occurrence of the jam in question.
    <TIME2> indicates the time of jam recovery.
    <L> indicates the location of the jam in question; 0 to 2 (0: copier; 1: feeder; 2: finisher).
    <CODE> indicates the jam code in question.
    <P> indicates the source of paper.

1: cassette 1
    2: cassette 2
    3: cassette 3
    4: cassette 4
    5: side paper deck
    6: manual feed tray
    7: duplexing assembly
    <CNTR> indicates the reading of the soft counter used for the source of paper.
    <SIZE> indicates the size of paper.
    Thanks for it, I'll take a photo as soon as possible.

sarky9

Hi, dan7777, I didn't took the board out, just the little components like the RAM etc.
    The first time (after the delivery) I try to print, I had an error, that was not a paper jam, but a RAM problem. I solved this problem with cleaning all the connection of the ram but I had the error code immediately after the printer start. Then when I cleaned all the connectors and components, the printer start, I did a initialization, but paper jam. That's why I think about a setting problem maybe. I don't know...
    I really thank to help me

Alexandre