Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

IRA8105 smear or dropping toner.

I have an 8105 at a print shop that looks like a smear or dropping toner. Has a new developer as of a couple of hundred thousand copies ago. Took drum unit out twice, vacuumed and polished drum. Put in a new cleaning blade. Don't see where any toner is dropping and augur was not full or could I see anything dumping. Tried new pre charge corona housing with no change. Looked through 40 pages of tech pubs one evening. It is better but since it is at a print shop he expects perfect. He bought a used machine and has just over 1 million copies. Looking for advice from techs with 8105's. Tried to scan sample but since paper is 12x18 it did not copy side that has smear/toner. Also puts small smudge on lead edge and small specks. Much better since the drum unit cleaning but not good enough for customer. I think I will go back and pull developer and sub hopper and clean. Does it on 11x17 also but could not see it on letter paper. Looks like rear side as when he prints 12x18 it is face down and does not put toner on back side. I may not get to try any suggestions right away as I can not get help here and it may take several days. I will try and get a sample here of the smear/toner droppings. Just wondering if that sounds familiar to anyone. Inspected transfer belt and has new clip on board under it that used to break. Fuser looks ok

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: IRA8105 smear or dropping toner.

the AP units are known for warping on these, also the drive gears for the cleaner assembly in the front of the AP wear out and then in the back the drive unit for the auger has a belt that drives it, I have seen that fall off as well. I have also had to replace the waste tube and drive assembly several times as well on these units. It happens more than the 7095's use to.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Quote Originally Posted by charm5496 View Post
    the AP units are known for warping on these, also the drive gears for the cleaner assembly in the front of the AP wear out and then in the back the drive unit for the auger has a belt that drives it, I have seen that fall off as well. I have also had to replace the waste tube and drive assembly several times as well on these units. It happens more than the 7095's use to.
    Thanks, the auger did not have much toner in it like it was working. I have seen tech pubs for replacing the waste toner drive assembly because of them not working and I think they updated it. Going out with my boss when he gets a chance but thank you for the reply. I will look into it. This print shop guy has a very old place and the machine is surrounded by boxes and the floor is uneven causing me problems with the large deck on the side. He would not buy new and bought a used machine with at least 800k on it. Sometimes I hate the job I chose but it has paid my bills for almost 30 years. I assume when the drum unit warps it is hard to pull out?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
    Thanks, the auger did not have much toner in it like it was working. I have seen tech pubs for replacing the waste toner drive assembly because of them not working and I think they updated it. Going out with my boss when he gets a chance but thank you for the reply. I will look into it. This print shop guy has a very old place and the machine is surrounded by boxes and the floor is uneven causing me problems with the large deck on the side. He would not buy new and bought a used machine with at least 800k on it. Sometimes I hate the job I chose but it has paid my bills for almost 30 years. I assume when the drum unit warps it is hard to pull out?
    This seems to happen totally at random and not even by number of copies can you ballpark it.

Last time I had this happen, it was on a 6265 and I ended up installing a toner scatter prevention kit mod that Canon has as well as a new AP kit.

Problem went away. Only 375k on the machine when it first happened.

Meanwhile, I have two 7095 machines at a printshop with 8 million + and never had to change this.

no, not always, it is usually just enough for the toner to start scattering from the cleaner unit down onto the ETB

no, not always, it is usually just enough for the toner to start scattering from the cleaner unit down onto the ETB
    Thanks. I did not see the toner dropping evidence anywhere. I think about this all day. I should have put a blank sheet of paper on glass and run 10 copies. He was being stingy with his 12x18 paper and giving me paper that had been run through once. I'll try that with 11x17 when my boss and I get a chance to go back. Another set of eyes is always good. We have had issues with transfer belts over the years and I think he was going to order an tb assembly. Nice to know the drum units warp. We have had a lot of 8105's and had issues with a lot of them. Canon has a ton of mod kits and updates.

have you pulled the developer unit and AP out and gotten up in there and cleaned everything by hand. I normally put paper down over unit one when doing this, but you can get a good scattering up in there. Also is this guy running OEM toner or 3rd party toner?

have you pulled the developer unit and AP out and gotten up in there and cleaned everything by hand. I normally put paper down over unit one when doing this, but you can get a good scattering up in there. Also is this guy running OEM toner or 3rd party toner?
    Pulled AP out twice and vacuumed out augur and roller by it. Polished drum second time and put in new cleaning blade. Went out with boss and found smear on second side. Wiped out everything and found most toner under fuser/transfer drawer that slides out. Both of us did not know large paper goes that way. I think that is reason I did not notice it on letter size. Finally talked boss into pulling developer and it looked ok. Can not pull developer out easy with large cap tray on right side. Clean copies on 12x18 and 11x17 double sided and the printer pulls out weird 11x17 light yellow paper that had shadow like front to back we thought came from developer (250k on it) only on blank side of paper, like letter on right and blank on left same side from one of his programs. My boss asked him to run it on his new color Ricoh and no shadows. Pulling developer from another machine and going back tomorrow (no telling how many copy's on it. I am not given new more than I like). I rarely go to a service call for normal letter size paper there. I ask him why he is not running cardboard through it and he just stares at me. I hate working on his copier but the other techs have it as bad. I appreciate the feedback, thanks.
    Canon toner we supply. I quit one place that started giving generic toner to maintenance customers. What a nightmare!

at least you are making some progress and learning a few things. Print shops will throw all the issues at you that you will never see at a normal office that is for sure.

Technician

I have an 8105 at a print shop that looks like a smear or dropping toner. Has a new developer as of a couple of hundred thousand copies ago. Took drum unit out twice, vacuumed and polished drum. Put in a new cleaning blade. Don't see where any toner is dropping and augur was not full or could I see anything dumping. Tried new pre charge corona housing with no change. Looked through 40 pages of tech pubs one evening. It is better but since it is at a print shop he expects perfect. He bought a used machine and has just over 1 million copies. Looking for advice from techs with 8105's. Tried to scan sample but since paper is 12x18 it did not copy side that has smear/toner. Also puts small smudge on lead edge and small specks. Much better since the drum unit cleaning but not good enough for customer. I think I will go back and pull developer and sub hopper and clean. Does it on 11x17 also but could not see it on letter paper. Looks like rear side as when he prints 12x18 it is face down and does not put toner on back side. I may not get to try any suggestions right away as I can not get help here and it may take several days. I will try and get a sample here of the smear/toner droppings. Just wondering if that sounds familiar to anyone. Inspected transfer belt and has new clip on board under it that used to break. Fuser looks ok
    Did this just start happening? Or was it happening before the new DV unit? I have had this happen twice before and it was a bad DV unit. Good luck!