Technician

canon ir c2880 Poor print quality after running "Clean the main unit"

Hi. Out on site today I had a Canon ir c2880 with multicoloured lines going across the page. It was obviously the pattern from the autograd/ set up not being removed by the itb cleaning assy.
    For some reason, I ran the "clean inside main unit" from the adjustment/cleaning menu.
    Ever since, the prints have been coming out with black/ cyan and sometimes magenta background randomly but on every page.
    It's a very low page count (38k) for a machine so old and the drums are only on 60% or so.

Does anyone know what "clean inside main unit" actually does? if it changes any voltages? And if so, is there a way to reset the settings to before I ran the process, as the print quality was good before I touched it!

I've got a feeling it's going to need a complete set of drums but this machine belongs to a home user who isn't going to be too pleased with a huge bill.

Thanks in advance.

Re: canon ir c2880 Poor print quality after running "Clean the main unit"

did you check the drums and itb cleaning visual?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    canon ir c2880 Poor print quality after  running "Clean the main unit"

Quote Originally Posted by Ginbolero View Post
    Hi. Out on site today I had a Canon ir c2880 with multicoloured lines going across the page. It was obviously the pattern from the autograd/ set up not being removed by the itb cleaning assy.
    For some reason, I ran the "clean inside main unit" from the adjustment/cleaning menu.
    Ever since, the prints have been coming out with black/ cyan and sometimes magenta background randomly but on every page.
    It's a very low page count (38k) for a machine so old and the drums are only on 60% or so.

Does anyone know what "clean inside main unit" actually does? if it changes any voltages? And if so, is there a way to reset the settings to before I ran the process, as the print quality was good before I touched it!

I've got a feeling it's going to need a complete set of drums but this machine belongs to a home user who isn't going to be too pleased with a huge bill.

Thanks in advance.
    I never ever used that "clean inside machine"
    Learned lesson hard way, especially if drums are worn.
    Percentage numbers means nothing, because if one customer is only printing color docs over 6% coverage on letter, and other customer is printing 50% Percentage coverage on letter, the printer reflects same % on drums.

When running copies, toner is constantly added to the drum assembly to maintain a good density level. When making a copy, some of the toner in the drum assembly is then put on the ITB Belt to be transferred to paper. Some must empty out of the drum into the waste toner port hole.
    If toner cannot empty out of the drum unit into the waste toner port hole, it will eventually over fill the drum unit with toner. This will cause the toner to start dumping in the machine.

In a couple of cases, the drum waste port was out of position or clogged not allowing toner waste to pass through. Replacing the Waste Toner 1 Feed Assembly resolved the issue in both cases.

The part number for the assembly is FM2-5530-010.

Remove drums and inspect Surface.
    Have a hard time believing that counter #_Doctor?
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    canon ir c2880 Poor print quality after  running "Clean the main unit"

Sounds like an ITB cleaning issue, the blade can flip & cause poor cleaning, remove the itb & check it, if it has flipped simply replace it as stated above.

When the drums are worn you'll get thin lines on the prints.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician

Sorry for the slow response. Turned out the ITB cleaning blade was really worn, AND running " clean inside main unit" must've killed the cyan drum. There was a non canon cyan toner installed but the user swears it had been in there for months and not caused a problem.
    Luckily didn't have to replace all the drums
    Still not sure what "clean inside main unit" does but I won't be pressing it again.
    Thanks for your help guys.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ginbolero View Post
    Sorry for the slow response. Turned out the ITB cleaning blade was really worn, AND running " clean inside main unit" must've killed the cyan drum. There was a non canon cyan toner installed but the user swears it had been in there for months and not caused a problem.
    Luckily didn't have to replace all the drums
    Still not sure what "clean inside main unit" does but I won't be pressing it again.
    Thanks for your help guys.
    I've noticed on the iR-ADV C2200 series that if you use the "clean inside machine" option it will basically just blast the ITB with a coat of each colour at high density and shove it into the cleaner assembly. Basically just cycling the toner to keep the proper density (like Teckat mentioned) and to ensure the cleaner blade is coated and not rubbing dry onto the belt. You can take off the top cover and watch it if you have one available. I would imagine that the C2880 is doing much the same since the machine is similar. I also don't really use it very often because it will end up causing drum quality problems - at least on the C2200 series.

Cheers