Canon IR Advance C5051 Multi-color toner line at top of printed page.

Hi.

Tech previous to me replaced ITB cleaning unit, then damaged ITB belt and wiring harness. I replaced ITB belt, repaired wiring, replaced Magenta and Black drums due to defects likely related to ITB dropping on drum set. Main issue throughout has been a line at the top of printed pages.

I attached two pics, one is multiple top edges stacked. Second is photo of drums where one can see a clear line of dumped toner across the entire tray. I am being sent out to replace the cleaning blade on the ITB Cleaning Unit, but I am arguing there is something else happening causing the toner to accumulate. Got concerned when a waste toner collection bin was ordered because they "fill up so quickly."

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Re: Canon IR Advance C5051 Multi-color toner line at top of printed page.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrall View Post
    Hi.

Tech previous to me replaced ITB cleaning unit, then damaged ITB belt and wiring harness. I replaced ITB belt, repaired wiring, replaced Magenta and Black drums due to defects likely related to ITB dropping on drum set. Main issue throughout has been a line at the top of printed pages.

I attached two pics, one is multiple top edges stacked. Second is photo of drums where one can see a clear line of dumped toner across the entire tray. I am being sent out to replace the cleaning blade on the ITB Cleaning Unit, but I am arguing there is something else happening causing the toner to accumulate. Got concerned when a waste toner collection bin was ordered because they "fill up so quickly."

Thanks for any help.
    You definitely have something going on. I have been working on these for over five years and have not seen streaks like these. These are fat almost like corona streaks but the different colors I have no clue. I like test page 10 to see defects. There is a mylar at the right end of the itb unit you can see with the right door open that gets bent but that usually causes smearing. Maybe check to see if the ITB unit is cleaning the belt first. Maybe something is going on not connected to ITB. Maybe check the transfer rollers to make sure a bushing on the spring loaded side is not broken. I have had c clips come off inside the unit on the inside where when you pull the handle it engages parts. Make sure the drums are seated.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Right so this issue started when the previous engineer dropped the ITB unit onto the drums!!??
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have never seen anything like this either. Looks like the belt is very loose and I am unsure how this happening really outside of one side loose somehow but with no error?! Perhaps a stretched and damaged belt? Its for sure not getting the toner cleaned off because the belt is loose somehow.

Hi.

Thanks for the suggestions. When I got to the unit today I replaced the ITB cleaning unit's cleaning blade, and did NOT replace primary transfer rollers, etc. When the ITB was reinserted into the unit and test prints were made both black and white and color photographs, the streaking was gone and we printed about 100 pages.

The streaks usually recurred sooner than that. So we seem to have success. Very strange occurrence, glad the cleaning blade works removing the charge so toner won't be attracted to the ITB belt.

I will let you know if this defect recurrs anytime soon. Again, thanks!

Warm Regards,
    Jim Thrall
    San Jose, CA