Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yahoo scan to email problem

Customer was having an issue with their scan to email on their Canon IR5570. Message came up every saying "Check the Server". I put in my Yahoo email settings and

it worked just fine. They created a new email account with Yahoo and we put in the settings. Now it gives SMTP Authentication Error. We rechecked name and password

and verified they were correct. On Yahoo email on their computer they got a warning message about an attempt to login from another device. It said to change the

security settings to a less secure app. WE did that and it still will not get past the authentication. Again my yahoo email settings work just fine. Any ideas?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Yahoo scan to email problem

SMTPTXPN option has to be changed in Service Mode level 2 to 587 and Canon devices must be configured to authenticate via SMTP with SSL enabled.
    - Access Service Mode level 1 by pressing Additional Functions, - 2 and 8
    - Access Service Mode Level 2 by pressing Additional Functions - Additional Functions - 2.
    - Once you are in Service Mode level 2, select Copier > Option > Body > SMTPTXPN, enter 587
    - Select OK and recycle the machine to apply the change.

After machine recycle, select Additional Functions > System Settings > Network Settings > Email/I-Fax.
    - Depending on which service providers you have, enter smtp.att.yahoo.com or smtp.gmail.com for SMTP server
    - Enter a valid user e-mail account for E-mail Address.
    - Select Authent./Encryption > SMTP Authentication (SMTP AUTH) - On
    - Set Allow SSL (SMTP Send) On.
    - Select OK to apply the changes.
    - Access Network Settings and make sure IP address, Gateway, DNS settings are correctly entered. (These information can be obtained by using a customer's networked PC nearby, access the command line, enter ipconfig /all.)
    - Restart the Canon device and start sending e-mail once it is Idle.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

In environments that require certain policies or standards for SMTP Authentication, it might be that the network security policy require that each SMTP client be required not to use certain authentication methods when connecting to an SMTP server.
    When the authentication information is transmitted from the imageRUNNER device to the SMTP server using PLAIN LOGIN, the username and password is transmitted in clear text.

To prevent the imageRUNNER device from using PLAIN LOGIN as the SMTP authentication protocol, go to the device's Service Mode level 2 > COPIER > OPTION > BODY and then change the value of NS-PLN and NS-LGN from the default value of 0 to 1 that is:

Default Setting
    NS-PLN = 0
    NS-LGN =0

DISABLED SETTING
    NS-LGN =1
    NS-PLN = 1

An imageRUNNER device reboot is required after these settings are changed.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks teckat! Last night I created another Yahoo account and set the account security to allow less secure app login. Tested it with our copier in store.

I went to the customers office this morning and put in my new yahoo settings and it worked just fine. Left a message for their IT guy to try changing passwords

for the account he created yesterday. Again he had already changed the security settings for his account. Haven't had any real problems with Yahoo before.

I will keep the info you gave me for future reference. Thanks again!