Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

IRC3080 will send but not receive

I have found a few threads on here with the same problem and printed out a couple of suggested solutions.

The copier sends just fine but when receiving it always stops and says start over. I hooked up a fax machine to the same

line using the same phone cord and it received just fine. I switched the copier fax unit with a known working one and it

still would not receive. One thread recommend clearing a hard drive partition used for incoming faxes. I will try that and

a different phone cord. I have working on these for years and have not had any problems like this. Majority of the time

fax problems are phone line issues. Any other ideas?

I called the fax number with my cell phone and it responded normally. Test faxes from the home office would act like they

were going to come through and stop. The log on the system monitor gives the NG result but no error code number.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: IRC3080 will send but not receive

Error codes are not showing up on your TX report because it's turned off by default. That's a simple tweak in Service Mode to fix that.... Otherwise, just go into the job history and highlight the failed RX job and check the "Details" button, your error code will be there.

My FIRST question would have to be, are they using a VOIP phone line, or a standard hard-line phone connection? If it's VOIP, then it could be a multitude of issues causing the problem.

....(Just for fun, google "Faxing VOIP problems"... you'll see well over 65,000 entries, so it's not a new thing! LOL!!)

If you have the manual, go into service mode for Fax, and reduce the TX/RX speeds to 9600, and turn off ECM (Error Correction Mode) in the user settings and see if that doesn't help.

Another thing I ran into one time was the customer had a voice-mail feature on the same phone line, which gave a distinct dial tone if you had any messages. The fax would hear that dial tone and basically say, "What was that??"..... then it would hang up after about 45-60 seconds. Connect a handset to that jack and see of there's any odd noises on that line.

Good luck.... Fax issues can make you go gray and bald... Don't ask me how I know!!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

This is probably due to the Memory RX inbox being full. The Memory RX inbox will retain everything and will not delete receptions automatically. As a consequence, the box may fill up over a period of time with the result being the fax board will no longer receive.

This may happen in cases where a high volume of fax receptions occur since the capacity for receiving into a memory inbox is in the neighborhood of 2000 pages. In such a case it will be necessary for the user to go into the Memory RX Inbox and select items to delete.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yep. Found out the customer uses VOIP. I did as suggested with the speed and shutting off ECM and that seems to have solved the problem.

I saw on another thread about people using a converter box on their fax line. Fax ATA. Has anyone used one of these?

Thanks for the help!!