Thread: OPC drums

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    OPC drums

OPC drums

hi,

Putting this in the Canon Forum but I guess could relate to any OPC drum. Has anyone successfully repaired little nicks/pits in the drums surface? Some techs say you can repair very small nicks/pits with nail varnish, but i have never found this to work. I put in a brand new irc2380 drum in today and noticed a little speck of cyan on the copies, took out the drum and very small pit mark on the surface. Tried wiping it away but ended up worse and taking off the drum surface. Has anyone got any tried and tested method for these little marks?

tks

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    OPC drums

Re: OPC drums

Negative on that. This worked on Mita DC-122 and DC-131 only because there is no drum cleaning blade. These machines used cleaning coronas. Any surface irregularities of the drum will not clean properly with a cleaning blade.

There are still a few manufacturers that make machines without cleaning blades; Brother and Kip. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Take this with a grain of salt please, as I haven't officially worked on Canon equipment for a long time.

But blackcat4866's right, nail varnish only works when there isn't a cleaning blade. I haven't seen that work since the 80's when the 3M 360 series used a rotating brush to clean the drum. And even then that was only a temporary fix, as the nail varnish covered area would produce blank spots on the copies.

If I understand the pits you speak of correctly, you might want to consider that they may not actually be pits. In the time I've worked on copiers and mfds, I can't remember seeing pits in new drums from either OEM sources or some of the aftermarket stuff that the mothership would temporarily try out every once in a while (well, except for when the drum was handled poorly, but there were obvious dents in the drums then though). With that in mind, you may want to see if there is something that is contaminating the drum surface if time permits. Your initial description even sounds a little like that was the case, as when you wiped the drum off you may have just been smearing things around.

Well, I hope that helps, and if not I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    OPC drums

Dirty filters cause issues.

You can't do anything with these OPC drums.
    On the mirror surface drums, u could use car was to polish surface.

Factors Affecting OPC Life
    An OPC is much softer than a selenium-based photoreceptor, and will flex and rebound before chipping. Still, OPC is highly susceptible to damage from impact or mishandling. Excluding impact, mishandling, mechanical, or electrical damage, the two primary failure modes for page printer OPCs are mechanical wear and electrical deterioration. How long an OPC can last inside a given page printer model primarily depends on design-created environmental factors within the specific machine. The following sections present page printer design considerations as they relate to OPCs.

Mechanical Factors:

All OPCs eventually wear out. When the CTL coating wears thin, electrical charge acceptance diminishes and the OPC fails to produce prints with good resolution and contrast. Given that coating wear causes most OPC failures, it might seem that reducing OPC abrasion would be a top priority for page printer designers. However, printer engine designers often must design abrasion into the system to keep the OPC surface free of a film called “oxidation”.

Paper is also an important factor in OPC abrasion. Most OEMs recommend using high-quality, 16-24 lb. xerographic or bond paper stocks in page printers which utilize OPCs. These papers have smoother surfaces and contain fewer chemical contaminants, making them less abrasive to OPCs. The use of poor quality paper (recycled), paper stock, or label stock accelerates abrasion of an OPC surface and can cause premature failure. Adhesive chemical materials from label stock can also contaminate to OPC surface and create print quality problems.

Electrical Factors:
    Charge acceptance and photosensitivity characteristics gradually change as an OPC wears. These changes are the results of mechanical wear, oxidation, and light fatigue or damage. As wear reduces the thickness of the CTL, the capability of the OPC to charge electrically is diminished (see figure 3). Some OEMs compensate by designing charge stability into the page printer. Common techniques include the incorporation of scorotron or grid charging systems. A controlled rate of OPC surface wear is required to reduce oxidation-related problems; OPCs could last longer if highly abrasive oxidation-removing components were not necessary. OEMs attempt to compensate for the expected electrophotographic change caused by OPC surface wear.

OPC wear rate depends on the wear coefficient of the CTL material, and on CTL interaction with toner, developer, and toner additives. Paper dust and other contaminants contribute to OPC wear, but not to the extent that the toner/OPC relationship does. Other than switching toner or OPC type, the technician/engineer cannot reduce OPC wear, beyond the reduction achieved by maintaining the page printer to OEM specifications.

There is no safe method to remove contamination from the surface of an OPC, so prevention should be stressed. Try to assure that your customers use quality toner, developer, and paper. Instruct service technicians/engineers to keep exhaust fans and ozone filters in good working condition, and to adhere to OEM-recommended ozone filter replacement intervals. Finally, please observe the following precautions when handling an OPC:

When installing an OPC, wait until the last moment to remove the light-protective wrap.
    When removing the OPC from the machine during service, do not allow the OPC drum to be exposed to interior/outside light for an extended period of time. The OPC needs to be covered with light blocking material or placed in a dark location to prevent electrical damage to the coating.
    Do not allow any physical contact with the OPC coating.
    Use a blow brush or a Chicopee Soft Cloth, rather than blowing surface dust away with your breath. Saliva drops will cause spots on prints.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    OPC drums

The part with the paper is relative since the drums of all color MFP's and several Mono machines are not coming into direct contact with paper anymore but with a transfer medium.

Still would love to know more about transfer belts and their properties though....

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Damaged transferbelts can cause damage on the drum also, I assume..

>" Sent from my Intel i286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Wondering which TCP stack and browser you're using
    Johan

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    OPC drums

Wondering which TCP stack and browser you're using
    Ahh? You are relating to my Sig?

Have to dig that up, lol

Groetjes Johan

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "