Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Question Need advice on old Canon IR3300; dead battery? NVRAM problem?

First, I'd like to state the I am NOT a Canon copier tech. I was a Ricoh tech for 7 years, and have been a Kinoca Minolta tech for just under 4 years now, so I am familiar with copier operation and repair, just not specific to to the Canon brand.

I'm trying to bring to life an old Canon IR3300 with network/print/scan capabilities. I don't know that history of the machine, but it only has just over 160K on it. It had poor output quality, so I replaced the drum and ran the drum initialization (or whatever Canon's term is). Everything is looking good there, but it has other, technical issues.

What I am experiencing is, the copier continuously looses it's settings if it is off for more than a couple days. Is there some sort of battery that keeps everything backed up? What happens is, all settings are gone, time and date are messed up, network information is gone, and it prompts for a Department ID and Password despite there being none programmed into the copier. Every time this happens, I must go into service mode and run the PWD-CLR to clear out the administrator password. This seems to turn off the Department ID garbage (prompt is gone, and indicates that it is OFF in setup), and them I have to reprogram everything so that it works again; at least until it is powered down for a day or two.

Any advice on where to look or what to do to track down this very irritating problem?

Thanks!
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need advice on old Canon IR3300; dead battery? NVRAM problem?

Re: Need advice on old Canon IR3300; dead battery? NVRAM problem?

The iR2200/2800/3300 keeps loosing the date, time and IP address. :-( :-(

:-))
    It has been found that replacing the battery, WK1-0082-000 on the main controller resolved this problem.

+ check Memory
    Remove _ Clean Ends_Re Seat

Check installed Memory Amt.
    1. Enter Service Mode (press Additional Functions, then 2 and 8 simultaneously, then Additional Functions).

2. Select COPIER.

3. Select DISPLAY

4. Select ACC-STS.

5. Look at the RAM option. The number of MB of memory installed will be displayed here.
    (ex. RAM 192 - means that the copier has 192MB of memory installed)
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Thank you for the excellent post.

Any idea where I can locate such a battery? A Google search for WK1-0082-000 brings up next to nothing, but the few sites I've come across have hinted that it is a CR2450 battery (Actually, a CR2450-F12), but I'm guessing that it's not going to be that simple. Any idea if it's soldered to the board, or perhaps has wires soldered to the battery itself?
    Answered my own question. I found a parts catalog for the copier, and I see that it really is that simple, just need to buy a new button cell and pop it in.

Do you by chance know how much RAM should be present in the copier? I see it's a single stick, but just in case it doesn't indicate on the stick what it's size is.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by femaster; 11-22-2016 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Updated questions, found one answer on my own.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    Thank you for the excellent post. Any idea where I can locate such a battery? A Google search for WK1-0082-000 brings up next to nothing, but the few sites I've come across have hinted that it is a CR2450 battery (Actually, a CR2450-F12), but I'm guessing that it's not going to be that simple. Any idea if it's soldered to the board, or perhaps has wires soldered to the battery itself?

Also, do you know how much RAM should be present in the copier?

Thanks again.

CR2450-F12------------------easy in and out

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    CR2450-F12------------------easy in and out
    Actually it was NOT easy out or easy in. It was soldered to the board as I feared. Stupid manufacturers, why in the hell wouldn't they just use a socket like they do on PC mother boards!?!

I ended up removing the network port card and the lower mount that holds the card in place. Then I removed the old battery by taking a very small flat blade screwdriver and forcefully separating the solder tabs from the battery surface on each side. After that I attached a piece of non-conductive foam rubber to the circuit board, under the lower battery tab, for support. I then partially reattached the lower network card mount bracket and removed a rectangular plastic "cover" from the outer trim panel where the network port is located. I placed the battery back in position, bent the rear tab back over the battery, placed the pink clear circular tape back over the tab and the battery. I then took that piece of plastic trim, put one half of it behind the lower network port mount rail, and the other half over the top of the battery, and finished securing the mount rail in place. This trim piece secured the battery in place quite nicely. I then reinstalled the network port card. It was an adventure to say the least.

The battery isn't going anywhere, it's held in place quite securely by that piece of trim. I'm hoping this will be the resolution to the memory problem. Will know in a few days when they go to use it again. I did notice that there is another CR2450 battery on the larger board to the right, which is held in place the same way, soldered tabs. Hoping that one is OK.

MacGyver, your hired.

🍻
    Thought those boards had easy battery removal.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

When you turn the machine off at the end of the day leave the main power switch on the RHS on & simply let the machine enter sleep mode, if they hare left unplugged from the main for long periods the back up battery dies.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

The board looks like it could have had a battery socket mounted to it, but apparently they went cheap at some point in time.

The copier is at a union hall, so it only sees use very briefly once or twice a week. I'm not sure if they turn off the main power on the side or not, I'm trying to find that out. I did leave word that they should let it go to sleep however, so hopefully that helps. I won't know until this coming Friday whether or not the issue has officially been resolved.

I hope so, as I'm not sure what I'd do if the other battery would need replacing; might have to invest in a socket and mount it on the board.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I got word that the copier is working correctly now, and remembering everything properly. I'm glad it works at all after the hack job i ended up doing just to get the battery to stay in place. Might go back in the future and add some hot glue or something to make the battery a bit more secure.

Sent using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Canons are quality Energy Star machines and cut power throughout the machine at night just fine. There really is no good reason to turn off a Canon without being serviced.