Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Light Output when Priinting Color on ImagePress C1

Light Output when Printing Color on ImagePress C1

I just installed a 2nd ImagePress C1 (I know, I'm a glutton for punishment - but this model prints so beautifully!)

I was getting an 020 code on the yellow, and since that developer unit was an old one I had around, I decided to replace all starters and start fresh.

I followed the procedures, including stirring the developers and aging with the 11x17 sheets. I did clean the ATR sensor window and the shutter.

Now, when I print in Grayscale, it prints nice solid black, and great shades of gray. When I print the same exact sheet in color, the black prints at about 10% and the colors print at about 80% of what they should be.

I cannot do a full gradient adjust because the black is not printing. But it only fails to print the black on the CMYK prints. It's a great B&W machine right now.

Attached is a photo of the Grayscale and CMYK print modes of the same file on the #2 ImagePress. For reference, I included a CMYK sample off my #1 ImagePress which shows nice solid colors. Hoping to get #2 up to par with the quality of #1.

C1_Color_Samples.jpg
    Last edited by victoryprinting; 03-05-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Light Output when Priinting Color on ImagePress C1

Success! Here's what I did, in case someone encounters this or similar issues down the road:

I noticed the Cyan developer unit was depositing toner on the ATR shutter as I rotated the developer carousel. This was actually caused because I replaced the developer in that unit from one I was experimenting with previously. I set the blade too far from the roller, so the toner was too heavy on the roller. So I set the blade the correct distance from the roller in order to have a thinner film on the roller. No more deposits on the shutter window.

I also took out the whole developer carousel unit and vacuumed and then blew out all of the toner in the turrets in case there was toner clumping in them. (This C1 was sitting in storage for 5 months in a 40-degree building.)

I cleaned the ATR shutter & window, also inspected and cleaned the sensor that detects the position of the developer carousel.

While I was inspecting the carousel, I saw that the foam seals had deteriorated to the point that some toner was blowing by those areas. I rebuilt the foam seals for each color coming from the hopper unit as well as the waste toner ports.

I then re-installed all four developer units and buttoned the ImagePress up and turned it on.

After the warmup, I immediately went into service mode and ran the supply-4 function since the turrets were empty. Then I did a stir-4 function. Then a test print in which all colors were solid. Once I saw that it was printing solid colors, I did a full gradation.

Since it appears to be printing fine, I am wondering if I should perform another aging on the developers? The initial aging was done when the colors were printing light.

Technician

CONGRATS!
    I think the 020 errors are the toughest on the C1 - I too am a glutton for punishment - I have 4 (yes 4!) they do print great and with some knowledge and service they daily make money - give me an email or call and we can exchange service knowledge. I have a guy in LA that is pretty good that bounces ideas off.
    ron
    mailstore@cedarst.net

Technician

Thanks for the knowledge.

I operate 4 imp c1 in hot ambient ( 35 ~ 40 C) and hight humidity ( 16 g).
    All consumables have a little life, between 1/5 and 1/10 of what the manual says.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Liebendeinsam View Post
    Thanks for the knowledge.

I operate 4 imp c1 in hot ambient ( 35 ~ 40 C) and hight humidity ( 16 g).
    All consumables have a little life, between 1/5 and 1/10 of what the manual says.

don't believe all u read

point----------Canon judges all results/usage values ( be it color or black & white printers ) at 5/6 % text coverage on Letter Paper

this is an example;
    Attached Files Attached Files
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**