Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

E0020 Canon IR 3235

We have a machine that throws this code E0020 whenever we try to either print or copy, so far ive tested bootle motor 5 on service mode-function-prtchk-motor 5 and it spins normally, after doing this the machine started printing and copying just fine.

However, trying to perform a test with function-install-toner-s always throws a NG message.

Developer assy actually has toner (from the motor 5 test i did maybe?), ive opened it up and cleaned the inside where the sensor is located, ive manually tried to open the hopper by pushing the small plastic tab and i could see toner falling down so theres nothing obstructing the way, also one time it gave an error E840 which is for the PSU fan failing, the i just turned it off and on again and it went away hasnt happened again since.

What else should i be testing to find the cause of this? i dont have another one here for a few days so i can swap the dev assy and see if that fixed the issue.

Independent Service Tech 100+ Posts
    E0020 Canon IR 3235

Re: E0020 Canon IR 3235

check for toner supply in hopper?? Check if there is a toner clog going into the developer unit next. If no clog then it is either the hopper toner sensor, developer unit sensor or the DC controller. More likely one of the sensors. (E020)

Independent Service Tech 100+ Posts
    E0020 Canon IR 3235

If toner is going into dev unit, can you check the sensor in dev unit next?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    check for toner supply in hopper?? Check if there is a toner clog going into the developer unit next. If no clog then it is either the hopper toner sensor, developer unit sensor or the DC controller. More likely one of the sensors. (E020)
    Yes there´s toner in both the hopper and dev assy, i opened it up and i could see a fair ammount of toner in there, my guess is it ran out after all the copies we made (aprox. 150) then it threw E020 error again.

My guess is also on one of the sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    If toner is going into dev unit, can you check the sensor in dev unit next?
    It is sensor P020 right? in service mode DC CON ? cant remember the steps :/

EDIT: today we got another machine to swap parts and find what the problem is, so what i did was this exactly:

1.-Turned it on first time in the morning, went to service - function - install - toner-s threw NG error after the timer stopped, which is 600 seconds.
    2.-went to service function part check motor 5 (bootle) threw OK, immediatly test motor 12 and threw NGĄ, immediatly tested motor 13 threw NGĄ, immediatly tested motor 5 again and threw NGĄ even tho it passed a minute before, at this point i ran the test on these 3 motors several times and everytime it threw NGĄ
    3.- after this, i removed dev assy, installed the one from the working machine, turnit on, went to service function install toner-s and this time, clock went from 550 seconds to 100 seconds, it finished and threw OK, immediatly went to service function part check motor 5 it threw OK, motor 12 OK motor 13 OK, and its been printing fine for the last 5 hours.

Im yet to test the dev assy i removed on the other machine.

What conclusion should i get of all this? could it be the sensor on mthe dev assy causing all the tests to fail even tho im not completely sure if they are related? motors 5, 12 and 13 spitting NGĄ on test.

Any ideas welcome.
    Last edited by LTTP; 04-20-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

New popst because previous one was just too long.

This morning machine threw the same error E020 again, so next step is replacing DC board, im just confused as to which one should i replace? attached image with list of PCB´s.

Which one should i replace? part number should be FM2-2764-010 if im not mistaken.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Bumping shamelessly.

Anyways, after a week of fighting with this devils machine, the basis gestalt goes like this.

Replaced the full Dev Assy from one that was working fine on another machine, next day throws the same error E0020.

Replaced the Relay board, it failed again the next day, same error E0020.

Replaced main DC Controller board, 36 hours later it failed again, same error E0020.

Something ive noticed when the mahcine is giving the error tho, is that if i perform a test ons ervice mode COPIER - FUNCTION - INSTALL - TONER-S it ALWAYS fails, throws a NGĄ message after the 600 seconds counter, on a machine thats working fine, that same counter goes from 590 secodns down to 110 seconds and gives an OK message.

So, what could be the problem here]? im running out of ideas, Dev Assy actually has toner in it, i opened it up to confirm this and i believe this takes the hopper motor out of the equaation since having toner inside the Dev Assy means that mtoor is working fine.

Any ideas welcome.

Technician

Did you change the sub hopper from a working machine ? (with the cable FM3-5076-000)
    Rotate the toner bottle when you make "toner-S" can you see it?
    ir4570-105.pdf ir4570-102.pdf

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CS0523 View Post
    Did you change the sub hopper from a working machine ? (with the cable FM3-5076-000)
    Just swapped the sensor and hopper motor, not the cable tho.

Rotate the toner bottle when you make "toner-S" can you see it?
    ¨toner-s fails¨ everytime and no i can not see the bottle rotating, BUT if i do a PRT-CHK - MTR 5 test then i can see the bottle rotating.

Also, nothing clogging the subhopper, i took it out and cleaned it completely, hoping it will fix the problem, im going to putting everything back toghether in a moment.

One question... does the Dev Assy has any other sensor besides the one on the ffront where the cable is?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by LTTP View Post

One question... does the Dev Assy has any other sensor besides the one on the ffront where the cable is?
    No only the toner sensor in the front.
    stupid question but did you change the toner bottle with an new one.
    I install a new machine last week and the "toner_S" give me NG, with an another Toner Cartdridge was it OK.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

No only the toner sensor in the front.
    stupid question but did you change the toner bottle with an new one.
    I install a new machine last week and the "toner_S" give me NG, with an another Toner Cartdridge was it OK.
    Something i havent noticed until yesterday thati had the time to work on this machine, is that the bottle has a broken claw, cant find the plastic piece tho but i just swapped the full dev assy just in case and cleaned the sub hopper, gonna try with a good bottle later today.

Any other suggestion? im completely BLANK.