Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Canon IR 3235 disable copies

A client has an uncommon request for his machine.

He wants for every user to have a unique code for printing, and also a unique code for copies so he can have a log of every user´s activity.

Secure printing is simple and ive done it, but ¨secure copy¨ for calling it that way, is a little trickier, what he wants is for a user to log in to the machine and ask for a pin whenever theyh want to copy a document and then those copies will be in that users history alongside all his printjobs.

Read the manual a little bit and ive found a way for lockign the device completely by setting an admin user and password, and it worked for that account, but he wastns individual accounts for every people in the office (around 35).

Whats the easiest, quickest way of setting such accounts? Ive done it with Ricoh machines and that was easy, but never done it for Canon and particularly this mkodel seems a little obtuse in the way some settings are presented.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Canon IR 3235 disable copies

Quote Originally Posted by LTTP View Post

He wants for every user to have a unique code for printing, and also a unique code for copies so he can have a log of every user´s activity.

Secure printing is simple and ive done it, but ¨secure copy¨ for calling it that way, is a little trickier, what he wants is for a user to log in to the machine and ask for a pin whenever theyh want to copy a document and then those copies will be in that users history alongside all his printjobs.

Read the manual a little bit and ive found a way for lockign the device completely by setting an admin user and password, and it worked for that account, but he wastns individual accounts for every people in the office (around 35).

Whats the easiest, quickest way of setting such accounts? Ive done it with Ricoh machines and that was easy, but never done it for Canon and particularly this mkodel seems a little obtuse in the way some settings are presented.

Equitrac= intelligent print management and cost recovery solutions

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/software/output-management/equitrac-174-cost-recovery-solutions
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 100+ Posts mosey1100's Avatar

You can turn Dept ID on and give everyone an ID and PIN to use copier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

You need to set department id to the machine admin/password then from your computer only have to do is uninstall then install the driver to recognize the new setting from copier then try for sample printing if the copier ask for log in to print after done it you can disable it to your copier if you want it.....for your computer it is permanent unless you uninstall it again......good luck....

Quote Originally Posted by rudysemira View Post
    You need to set department id to the machine admin/password then from your computer only have to do is uninstall then install the driver to recognize the new setting from copier then try for sample printing if the copier ask for log in to print after done it you can disable it to your copier if you want it.....for your computer it is permanent unless you uninstall it again......good luck....

[QUOTE][/wants is for a user to log in to the machine and ask for a pin whenever theyh want to copy a document a QUOTE]

believe_poster wants it both ways>(log in) desktop printing and walk up (log in) copying.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mosey1100 View Post
    Yes i just found that option, i was looking in the adress book settings just like it is on Ricoh machines, ill try that this afternoon, im wondering if theres a way of having both counters, print and copy, add to the same user or if they are separate.

Quote Originally Posted by rudysemira View Post
    You need to set department id to the machine admin/password
    That works fine for prints and also to have the machine locked with an admin password so nobody can use it for either scans or copies, but they want a user and pass for every person in the office.

Also, i dont think i can configure any of those options via webmanager, it has to be on the machine itself which is a pain in the ass otherwise ill just do it remotely, this model has made me suffer in every way.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mosey1100 View Post
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ended up doing this.

Created a Dept ID for every user, and to0ld them they had the same pin for prints and to log into the copier to scan and make copies, not sure if prints from PC and copies will end up in the same log with the corresponding user but we´ll find out next month when they call

ended up doing this.

Created a Dept ID for every user, and to0ld them they had the same pin for prints and to log into the copier to scan and make copies, not sure if prints from PC and copies will end up in the same log with the corresponding user but we´ll find out next month when they call

Don't think you will see separations , if this is a cost priority, invest in Canon program options.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Smile Re: Canon IR 3235 disable copies

Yes i just found that option, i was looking in the adress book settings just like it is on Ricoh machines, ill try that this afternoon, im wondering if theres a way of having both counters, print and copy, add to the same user or if they are separate.

That works fine for prints and also to have the machine locked with an admin password so nobody can use it for either scans or copies, but they want a user and pass for every person in the office.

Also, i dont think i can configure any of those options via webmanager, it has to be on the machine itself which is a pain in the ass otherwise ill just do it remotely, this model has made me suffer in every way.
    i said after you configure to your computer you can disable to your machine just remove after the configuration installed to your computer so other users can scan and copies to the machine not asking for the log in after all.......

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

by the way that configuration is using to our office same pin that is not a problem, most important to see the logs who can use the machine then the logs coming from their pc and the machine can use other personnel not required for log in because the dept. id was disabled as i said we need that configuration with pin to your computer then after the installation turn off the dept. id to the copier so every one can use it........