Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

iPF8100 - Hardware Error 03130031-2618

So, I have a iPF8100 that has been working fine up until today when I went to print. It threw a clean or replace printhead error. I ran a head cleaning B, after which it gave me a 2F2F error. I shut it off, turned it back on to clean again and also changed out the waste tank around the same time. Then, I tried to unload the media and it gave me a hardware error right before printing the barcode. Then, every time I started up the printer (whether it was in service or normal mode) it would move the head a full pass back and forth then right before it would normally go to the loading stage of startup, it threw the 2618 error. I am aware that it's a VH voltage abnormality error.

I don't have any new printheads on hand, but I do have another 8100 which was having issues and is no longer in use. So, I tried swapping the heads from that printer. Same error, same point. I tried swapping the power supplies, same error at the same point. I tried swapping the main PCB, same thing (although it did go through the board replacement sequence without issue). Then I tried swapping the carriage PCB. I was finally able to get the printer to startup in service mode, but then it threw a 2F2F error during a clean cycle. When I started the printer back up to initiate another cleaning cycle, it gave me a "turn off printer!!!" or whatever. Now, it's back to the same 2618 error at the same point during startup.

I have the service manual, but does anyone have any insight in to a possible solution that doesn't involve just replacing all of the most expensive parts of the printer? I've reseated the ribbon cables, but cannot figure out how to get to the head PCB to check/reseat those cables. Does the carriage need to be removed to access those cables? There doesn't appear to be any physical damage to the ribbon cables, but obviously that's almost impossible to tell. I also can't figure out how I would possibly be able to test continuity on 12 ribbon cables with probably 200+ contacts as the service manual suggests. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: iPF8100 - Hardware Error 03130031-2618

There is a good chance that by swapping parts you have "electrically contaminated" the other printer as well.

So probably both are "gone" now.

Sorry...

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by V-P View Post
    There is a good chance that by swapping parts you have "electrically contaminated" the other printer as well.

So probably both are "gone" now.

Sorry...
    I appreciate the reply, but I've literally never heard of electrically contaminating something. It's rather common practice to swap parts from electronics to test a fault, how would doing so break the entire printer?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Ok I give you a simple example:

Printhead nozzles get electrical signals and ink passes through.
    Printhead nozzles get blocked with passing of time - ink flow stops.
    Overcurrent happens and head burns.
    A burned head eventually will burn printhead and/or mainboard.

If you replace the mainboard but keep the existing printhead/s = you will burn the new board as well.

Savy ?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by V-P View Post
    Ok I give you a simple example:

Printhead nozzles get electrical signals and ink passes through.
    Printhead nozzles get blocked with passing of time - ink flow stops.
    Overcurrent happens and head burns.
    A burned head eventually will burn printhead and/or mainboard.

If you replace the mainboard but keep the existing printhead/s = you will burn the new board as well.

Savy ?
    I'm aware of that, but that doesn't have anything to do with electrical contamination. In your example, it wouldn't matter if you swapped the main board with a brand new board or a used board, the outcome would be the same (aside from saving hundreds of dollars by not burning up a new board). My question was if anyone had any advice on what typically causes this problem so I have a better idea where to look. As I said, I appreciate you replying, but you basically said that by swapping out parts the printer is dead. There's no basis for that contention.