Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Open Cover Issue - Canon iPF8100

I was getting an xx2618 EV voltage error on my iPF8100. So, per the service manual and Canon, I replaced both printheads. However, since it was throwing the error before I could get it to start in either normal or service mode, I wasn't able to go through the normal head replacement procedure, I had to manually move the carriage to put in the new heads. Now, when I start up the printer it does some of the normal startup procedures and then goes to the "please wait, carriage is moving" message followed by "open top cover." No matter what I do at that point it will never go out of the "open top cover" message. I can open and close the top cover, remove and replace the heads, and press all of the buttons, nothing does anything. I can't even power it off without unplugging it. I can get it to startup in service mode, but if I go to replace heads it does the exact same thing--carriage is moving, open top cover.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the cover sensors since it will recognize if the cover is open when I turn the printer on. However, if I turn the printer on with the cover open it says "close top cover" and then does nothing once I close the top cover. Is it a PCB or some other issue I can fix? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Open Cover Issue - Canon iPF8100

Re: Open Cover Issue - Canon iPF8100

open /then close cover> power off >unplug printer from wall >wait a bit > plug back> power up
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    open /then close cover> power off >unplug printer from wall >wait a bit > plug back> power up
    I've tried that a few times unfortunately. I can't power it off when it says "open cover," it doesn't even allow me to shut down. I've tried opening and closing the cover, unplugging, and turning back on. Every time it goes back to the "carriage is moving" then "open cover"

Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar

Had this on a brand new iPF8400 when they came out - told me to "close carriage cover"

Turned out to be a small fuse on main controller had blown somehow...probably static discharge as we were using it as a training machine.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by onlyinnewfoundland View Post
    Had this on a brand new iPF8400 when they came out - told me to "close carriage cover"

Turned out to be a small fuse on main controller had blown somehow...probably static discharge as we were using it as a training machine.
    I found a few small fuses soldered on the main PCB and one on the power supply PCB. Do you know if yours were soldered on or replaceable? Is it something that was able to be tested while on the board?
    Last edited by cutmoney; 08-10-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar

Yeah I had to replace the entire main controller. They are surface mounted pico fuses - probably not going to be easy to try and replace it.