Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar

Question iR-ADV 500iF - spinning out of control

Hi guys

We had a customer call us about a 500iF apparently making a loud noise like it's about to take off lol.

We have it at the shop - seems like it will get to idle and make copies okay, but if you leave it for 2 minutes exactly - and I mean exactly - from idle, the main drive assembly which seems to have the drum, fuser and duplex motor attached will start rotating. It will slowly increase in speed and I don't know how fast it will go but it won't slow down.

It seems like at two minutes that's when the fuser might roll over but doesn't stop.

Any ideas?

I checked the error logs - customer had E202 and E733 codes right before this happened.

I am assuming Main Controller and/or Reader Controller are suspect based on the codes.

We already swapped the DC controller or Engine Controller as Canon call it on this model but no dice.

Fun times.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Re: iR-ADV 500iF - spinning out of control

Quote Originally Posted by onlyinnewfoundland View Post
    Hi guys

We had a customer call us about a 500iF apparently making a loud noise like it's about to take off lol.

We have it at the shop - seems like it will get to idle and make copies okay, but if you leave it for 2 minutes exactly - and I mean exactly - from idle, the main drive assembly which seems to have the drum, fuser and duplex motor attached will start rotating. It will slowly increase in speed and I don't know how fast it will go but it won't slow down.

It seems like at two minutes that's when the fuser might roll over but doesn't stop.

Any ideas?

I checked the error logs - customer had E202 and E733 codes right before this happened.

I am assuming Main Controller and/or Reader Controller are suspect based on the codes.

We already swapped the DC controller or Engine Controller as Canon call it on this model but no dice.

Fun times.

They seem to do that with the names. DC controller in parts and Engine controller in service manual. Just had a different problem with a 4545 and main controller controlled the engine controller that controlled high voltage that controlled developer bias. Problem was high voltage but I guessed wrong the first time. I have not looked but you may check that you are on right track with main controller. I had a problem with flash pcb on one of those and it seems like they changed the main controller that you had to have certain software installed for it. I would guess you updated software already. It has to get a signal to turn on things from somewhere, unless you have ground switching and you have a pinched wire somewhere. I thought I was the only one with strange issues.