Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    make sure primary grid wire is clean also or it will give you a mess. check the transfer guide settings, also fuzzy setting. where i live lower number works better. Also check to see if trans-sep setting in service mode is set properly. 0 works best for me, even though it is recycled paper. Its the setting for recycled paper. also check in additional mode register paper type, is it correct? Then head for the dev bias adjustment. Change to a higher value to remove background, that is after you polish drum and replace cl blade. I wouldn't rule out the laser, but since you have two its kinda fishy that toner is issue. Might have to compensate for that.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Primary chg is new, Set Fuzzy to 1 (for low humidity, usually about 10% here),Trans/sep voltages at door values, Not sure what you mean about transfer guide? (or setting in service mode) Played with DC bias a bit, wasn't quite sure (solids did get lighter) Does paper type affect voltages (currently set to plain)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    sorry i didn't get back with you. register paper type does make an effect since it sets up a different set of parameters. also the enviro sensor controls charge, dev, etc. I had one i fought forever. they would always run ncr paper non approved of course.It would gum up the drum, had to clean the drum, replace the duplex reverse roller for swelling, yeah it would send 11x17 paper crooked in its path and catch on return to the duplex guide. I know not your problem. But same machine, drove me nuts. i put in a new improved updated cleaning assy, might try that. I had new corona assys in it, just could not figure it out. finally one day i said the heck with it and adjusted the dev bias until the background went just away. the one setting i forget what it is now, but there about three. I think it was around 200 or 180 then i raised it up a bit to get rid of the background. I would also, i know sounds wrong, but an optic cleaning and white plate cleaning. I made that mistake. also do ccd adjust. anyhow what does that have to do with just printing to copier. It sets the reference point for the copier settings when it adjust itself. up to that point i had never thought about that. I think that solved a problem of the same nature either there or somewhere else, once i realized why. The transfer guide setting is for humidity too. its like trg-sw or something like that. stands for transfer guide switch. Probably not your problem anyway.
    I would not rule out a dirty slit glass since that is part of the reference process. look at the voltage in the dark and light readings before and after cleaning the white plate etc. What is it like with pot control off? Believe it or not i was so furious and headed for last resort i measure the pot control board pot with machine off (so i could put it back) then tweeked on that to change pot control. not recommended though. This machine has been working great now for a couple of months with no background problems. So conclusion i think was really the dev unit and optical area cleaning and adjustment. as for the pot adjustment, didn't seem to anything. I was digging for answers so if i was to change its value i would know if it was the problem or not. I am not a tweeker so to speak, but on occasion i will beat the system. Canon sent me a nasty letter one time for modifying the timer circuit not to shut off but allowed the e codes to shut off. Said it changed the ul listing code and was a no no. so i haven't done anything stupid for a while. Yeah somebody squealed on me. Hope some of this helps you. Maybe even check enviro sensor, never had one go out to my knowledge though. I just clean them. with air. I also used a ir 5000 cl blade on this machine to solve the cleaning issue, and increase the cl blade pressure slightly. Now it works with the proper cl blade. Oh and make sure the cleaning assy cleaning roller is turning, one way on front and gear in rear of assy. I also adjust the mylar in the assy, three screws, to clean the metal roller off like a pretrans assy does. seems to me thats what it should do. cant think of anything else, except maybe toner is not the correct stuff.

Technician
    I have experience on this kind of machine. This machine sensitive to the mixed toner. If you mix some brand of toner, usually the copies of this machine will have grey background. So you must clean the developing assembly and put the right toner to this machine. In my country, there are a lot of toner brand but not only a few brand that have a good result.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    good point. I dont see much of that at all where i work, since all toner needs to be legit Canon toner or they cannot be on a contract. Thats because if they dont use legit toner and have a copy quality problem, then they are not covered by the contract and they will have to pay for the service call and repair. I have seen that before but its been awhile.roygunawan is right about what was said. If that is so you will have to clean out the dev unit and start over. then sell them the good stuff.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I turned off potential control for a few weeks, no background but very light. Turned it back on yesterday because customer said too light now background back(usually takes about a 100 copies for background to appear) Am going in to adjust dev bias (assuming this is under adj > vcont)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    when ever i adjust primary height, very rare that i do, but when i do i turn potential control off, then adjust for nice copy then turn potential control back on. That way I have given it a reference to work with, hopefully.
    The machine i had problems with i turned the dc bias the dev unit in service mode from 200 to 260 it was the first one on the list of two, second one remains at 200.