Technician

Question Canon IR5000 ImageRunner 5000 (Faint print and LOUD clicking)

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

We have a Customer whose aging ImageRunner 5000 recently started making a horrendous racket while printing, and the pages that come out are very very faint.

Through the front I removed everything necessary to take out the Drum (I have the Service Manual), but after reading this forum I decided not to. From what I saw from both the front and the right side, the drum moves properly, and the surface is free from defects.

I opened a portion of the right back corner (near the power switch), and can see a tensioner start jumping all over seemingly coinciding with the noise.
    Shortly before/while printing the last page or two the noise stops.
    I'll be attaching 2 brief videos, one of which i recorded from this "inside" vantage point.

I'm pretty sure the problem is something the developer unit is geared with.
    I removed the Developer unit and the gears turn fine, and the toner seems distributed evenly, so I don't believe it is the unit itself.
    I even marked the gears, and test printed to confirm the gears (on the Developer) are in fact moving when it is printing.
    It is my belief they are not turning enough, and it is related to the clicking.

Every gear I was able to see looks to be in good shape, and is able to turn.

Here is an example of the Printout:
    Epson_20171116121014(3).jpg

Here's a video from the front of the copier:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/cI8FprNBoNadSX3x1

Here's the "internal" video I referenced (NOTE: the middle portion of this video is slo-mo):
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ncq7Ao25WohDZWO73

If somebody could give me some feedback, or suggestions I'd appreciate it a whole lot.

Re: Canon IR5000 ImageRunner 5000 (Faint print and LOUD clicking)

Make sure the cleaning unit is not locked up. Sometimes in the cleaning unit the toner builds up like concrete and will not turn. You have to chip it out. Could be causing the LOUD clicking.

Just a thought.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by kuby View Post
    Make sure the cleaning unit is not locked up. Sometimes in the cleaning unit the toner builds up like concrete and will not turn. You have to chip it out. Could be causing the LOUD clicking.

Just a thought.
    Same. Start with checking waste toner box to see if full.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Hopper2 View Post
    Same. Start with checking waste toner box to see if full.
    Level of waste toner is very low, maybe 3in of toner.

Assuming you are referring to the cleaner unit for the drum. (there's several different cleaning mechanisms)
    2017-11-17_02.05.25PM.jpg

Would the cleaning unit being locked up also account for the light print?

Thanks so much guys!!!

(I won't be able to service this machine in-person, so there's a gal that I'm using to work on it remotely.
    If I were positive what the issue is, I would be able to free myself from other duties, and make the 3 hour drive to resolve the issue.)

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cwmw.andy View Post

We have a Customer whose aging ImageRunner 5000 recently started making a horrendous racket while printing, and the pages that come out are very very faint.

Through the front I removed everything necessary to take out the Drum (I have the Service Manual), but after reading this forum I decided not to. From what I saw from both the front and the right side, the drum moves properly, and the surface is free from defects.

I opened a portion of the right back corner (near the power switch), and can see a tensioner start jumping all over seemingly coinciding with the noise.
    I'll be attaching 2 brief videos, one of which i recorded from this "inside" vantage point.

I removed the Developer unit and the gears turn fine, and the toner seems distributed evenly, so I don't believe it is the unit itself.
    I even marked the gears, and test printed to confirm the gears (on the Developer) are in fact moving when it is printing.

Here's the "internal" video I referenced (NOTE: the middle portion of this video is slo-mo):

If somebody could give me some feedback, or suggestions I'd appreciate it a whole lot.
    Just remove the flywheel and check the drum gear if there is nothing broken gear....

Buenas, deberias de comprobar la unidad del revelador por si tuvieses algun rodamiento del rodillo revelador bloqueado y estuviese ofreciendo resistencia en el giro.
    Tambien comprueba el muelle (sinfin) del mecanismo del toner residual o el propio sinfin de la unidad limpiadora.
    Espero haber podido ayudarte.

Saludos

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cwmw.andy View Post

Thought it was a 5030, ignore this.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts HELIO240's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
    Thought it was a 5030, ignore this.
    Hi, Make some print or copy and stop it in the middle of the process , so check out the image formed on the paper and make sure if the image is clear .If the image on the paper is clear you need test the Transfer charger wire or pre transfer unit wire.