Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Canon 9065 Light black text on Heavy paper. Great printing on 20lb paper.

Hello Everyone,

You guys are fantastic. I am not just saying that, it is true.You are very helpful.

Anyway, my Canon C9065 prints crisp, clear, and solid black text on standard 20lb paper. When I look at the text with a loop, there are no dots in the text, it is solid with straight lines around the edges. I have the "Gray Compensation" turned on, so there is no color in the black text.

However, when I print on cover stock, the black text is composed of many 45 degree angled lines going from the lower left to the upper right. The ends of these tiny lines are rounded like they are composed of many dots. There is a thin white space between the lines. The edges of the fonts are jagged because of how they are composed. This makes the text looked washed out or pale. I think this has something to do with a setting either in the printer or in the driver because if I accidentally have a 20lb paper in a tray that is registered in the printer as heavy paper, then the printer will print the text composed of these tiny lines. So the printer will print text with tiny lines every time it thinks it is printing on heavy paper, and it will print crisp, solid black fonts every time it thinks it is printing on 20lb paper.

I have tried modifying the settings in the print driver on the Quality tab. I tried, General, Publications, Graphics, Photos, Designs, and High Definition Text. I also tried changing everything in the Advanced Settings. Nothing changes in regard to the fonts on heavy paper.

Is there a setting somewhere that can be changed to allow the printer to print crisp, solid black text on heavy paper. I know I could just tell the printer that my heavy cover stock is 20lb paper, but I don't think that is good for the printer.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Blessings, and peace.

Berean

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Canon 9065 Light black text on Heavy paper. Great printing on 20lb paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Berean View Post
    However, when I print on cover stock, the black text is composed of many 45 degree angled lines going from the lower left to the upper right. The ends of these tiny lines are rounded like they are composed of many dots. There is a thin white space between the lines. The edges of the fonts are jagged because of how they are composed. This makes the text looked washed out or pale. I think this has something to do with a setting either in the printer or in the driver because if I accidentally have a 20lb paper in a tray that is registered in the printer as heavy paper, then the printer will print the text composed of these tiny lines. So the printer will print text with tiny lines every time it thinks it is printing on heavy paper, and it will print crisp, solid black fonts every time it thinks it is printing on 20lb paper.
    I have tried modifying the settings in the print driver on the Quality tab. I tried, General, Publications, Graphics, Photos, Designs, and High Definition Text. I also tried changing everything in the Advanced Settings. Nothing changes in regard to the fonts on heavy paper.
    Is there a setting somewhere that can be changed to allow the printer to print crisp, solid black text on heavy paper. I know I could just tell the printer that my heavy cover stock is 20lb paper, but I don't think that is good for the printer.
    Berean
    you need to make sure the paper settings on computer and copier jive. The reason for your issue most likely is the setting doesn't match therefore sending the paper too fast thru the machine not allowing it to bond properly to the media.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    you need to make sure the paper settings on computer and copier jive. The reason for your issue most likely is the setting doesn't match therefore sending the paper too fast thru the machine not allowing it to bond properly to the media.
    Thank you for that. I am not sure what you mean by that. On my computer I have the ability to choose which paper drawer to feed from, but I do not know how to tell it that I am printing on heavy paper in the PCL6 driver. I would try printing from the Postscript driver, but my issue with that driver is that I cannot get it to print solid black text. It always prints black using all four colors which looks terrible and wastes toner, so I do not use the postscript driver ever. I know there are settings in that driver to tell it to print black with only black toner, but it does not work for me on this printer. The postscript driver for all my other color machines works fine to only use black for black, but not on this machine. I don't know why.

On another note, This machine (9065) often prints the black about 1/16 inch away from where it should. I have tried full adjusting gradation many times, but it still prints off most of the time. Sometimes it will print black in the right spot, but usually it is off, and I can't get it to print in the right place consistently. I just live with it, but it doesn't look good. Therefore, when the printer uses all four colors to print black text, it looks really bad.

Thanks again for your help.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

For the color registration run color mismatch from the device adjustments menu. You may notice the black text may look better if you drop the other colors and just use k only on the text. You may need to check out the application itself to do that.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by roho View Post
    For the color registration run color mismatch from the device adjustments menu. You may notice the black text may look better if you drop the other colors and just use k only on the text. You may need to check out the application itself to do that.
    Thank you so much for your help with the "Color Mismatch." That helped a lot. I had tried to do this before but the "Start" button was grayed out. Now I have kept trying and finally it worked. Ever since, the colors have been lined up well. Thank you so much.

Regarding using K only. That is how I always setup my jobs. I try to conserve ink as much as possible, and I think it is crazy to print all four colors to make black. Therefore, thanks to this forum, I learned how to use "Gray Compensation" in the PCL6 driver to force all black items to be printed with K only. That works great. I have not been able to get this to work in the PostScript driver though. I would appreciate any help getting that to work.

Anyway, my Canon C9065 prints crisp, clear, and solid black text on standard 20lb paper. When I look at the text with a loop, there are no dots in the text, it is solid with straight lines around the edges. There is no color in the black text.

Here is a graphic I designed to illustrate how it is printing. This is an illustration to show approximately how it looks when magnified using a loop.

Printing on Heavy Paper on 9065 Canon.jpg

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts

Hi,

It will not hurt the printer.Set to the thickest.

Did you get the link?
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Interesting how the H is printed on heavy paper, looks like "tiger striping", which can happen if the dev unit is worn out, it may be a dev problem, they may not look bad on 20lb, but heavier stock can bring out defects with them. You may want to have a tech come out and make sure the drums and devs are up to snuff.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by zoraldinho View Post
    Hi,

It will not hurt the printer.Set to the thickest.

Did you get the link?
    Thank you so much for the input, and especially the link you sent. Yes, I got that and really appreciate it. I replied with inquiries about the manuals for a C9065 and its A1 Booklet Finisher. Any help on those would be greatly appreciated.

Are you saying that I will not hurt the printer if I run heavy cover stock through it and tell the printer that it is 20lb paper? I thought that the printer would set things differently inside for thick paper. I know that it prints slower when it runs heavy paper.

Thank you again for your time and input. Blessings!

You can cheat the device by registering 20lb paper, but it will come back and cause other issues over time, including shortening the fuser life. The device slows down for a few reasons on heavier stock, and you will encounter other issues.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berean View Post
    Are you saying that I will not hurt the printer if I run heavy cover stock through it and tell the printer that it is 20lb paper? I thought that the printer would set things differently inside for thick paper. I know that it prints slower when it runs heavy paper.

Thank you again for your time and input. Blessings!
    you are correct...in thick mode it slows the travel of the paper as well as boosting the heat in the fuser and depending on the model can INCREASE the gap between the hot and pressure roller. I think if you set it for 20# you will find it doesn't properly bond the toner to the page and might even 'ghost' the image some