Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Oh, and I asked him about waste toner - he said in his career, he's never had to change the waste toner.

what a technician

Oh, and I asked him about waste toner - he said in his career, he's never had to change the waste toner.
    what a technician

Jen, you have been mugged off!!. I have about 150 of these machines in my patch, and as a senior tech I say that drum, pick up tyres, fixing cleaner and waste toner have to be done as standard on a service call. Dont come on here and slag people off cause you've been stitched up!!

Technician
    Jen - I am not a service Guru by any means and I just replaced our drum here at work because it was printing black lines. Paul 75 gave me great clear-cut directions on how to do this fix.

Very Simple - Open front door, lower transfer bed (handle on left) rack dev unit away(blue handle on right). Unscrew drum and pull out (big thumb screw right in front!). Remember to take special notice how this drum slides in and out on those rails. You then slide in the new one. One step at a time!

I hope this works for you as easy as it worked for me and I hope even more that you become the office hero unlike me who didn't even get a Thank You for saving them a service call!

Good Luck - John!

Quote Originally Posted by John G View Post
    Jen - I am not a service Guru by any means and I just replaced our drum here at work because it was printing black lines. Paul 75 gave me great clear-cut directions on how to do this fix.

Very Simple - Open front door, lower transfer bed (handle on left) rack dev unit away(blue handle on right). Unscrew drum and pull out (big thumb screw right in front!). Remember to take special notice how this drum slides in and out on those rails. You then slide in the new one. One step at a time!

I hope this works for you as easy as it worked for me and I hope even more that you become the office hero unlike me who didn't even get a Thank You for saving them a service call!

Good Luck - John!
    And did you run a DPC?...how about that transfer roller...did you wipe it clean?...did you empty,or at least check the waste toner?
    And did you clean or replace the heatsink roller in the fuser?
    On an iRC3200 I wouldn't really care less if a customer wanted to swap drums in and out but on an iR2200 series you really need to do a total pm at drum change coz in most cases,as a tech,you won't see that machine for another 6-12 months depending on volume.
    Swapping in a new drum without running a DPC or changing the heatsink roller WILL shorten the life of the drum 100% guaranteed.
    That's one service call that could have been avoided.
    Not having a go but I hope you can understand WHY I withheld the info from Jen in the first place.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    And did you run a DPC?...how about that transfer roller...did you wipe it clean?...did you empty,or at least check the waste toner?
    And did you clean or replace the heatsink roller in the fuser?
    On an iRC3200 I wouldn't really care less if a customer wanted to swap drums in and out but on an iR2200 series you really need to do a total pm at drum change coz in most cases,as a tech,you won't see that machine for another 6-12 months depending on volume.
    Swapping in a new drum without running a DPC or changing the heatsink roller WILL shorten the life of the drum 100% guaranteed.
    That's one service call that could have been avoided.
    Not having a go but I hope you can understand WHY I withheld the info from Jen in the first place.
    Nah - at $115 a drum as opposed to $250 + just for a service call without parts I think I'll go for the straight out drum replacement. The fact that you state it will have a shorter lifespan is a mute point for me because the company pays for the parts. If I replace the Drum twice a year I'm still ahead of one service call. But I appreciate all the Sage technical advice I get from you guys. If I knew how to do all the stuff that you mentioned above i would definitely do that at the time . . . hell I might even quit my job and become a Canon Certified technician and do what you guys do! But alas, I am just a meek Systems Administrator who also takes on the Network administration and Telco administration so i got my hands full right now just trying to keep this stuff working let alone all the printing maintenance!
    Thx for the heads up buddy!
    John

Technician
    I believe the point that is missing here is not the point that a drum can be replaced cheaper than the service call, but that their is a reason for the service call. The main point seems to be the waste toner that will have to be replaced as the machine will shut down with a code if it is not replaced and a service call will have to ge performed anyhow. If the tech that has never seen a waste toner message or emtied one, has not worked on this model long.

spacerider

Replacement of Drum

Just remove the Screw of Drum module, which is fixed to the machine, loosen the two claws, the cover will be removed, remove three screws, and remove the plate, the drum gets released install the new drum
    Quote Originally Posted by jen1023 View Post
    I need instructions for replacing the drum on my Canon IR3300 - the manual doesn't cover the drum at all. I have the new drum but it only comes with instructions for installing the new one - not removing the old one and I don't want to break anything.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by spacerider View Post
    Just remove the Screw of Drum module, which is fixed to the machine, loosen the two claws, the cover will be removed, remove three screws, and remove the plate, the drum gets released install the new drum
    Great...you just gave instructions on how to replace the drum cylinder?
    Bearing in mind that these people are END USERS and NOT techs.
    Forgot to mention that they STILL need to run DPC and a crapload of adjustments and maintenance at drum change.
    When will people understand?
    Changing an iR2200 drum is called a "DRUM SERVICE CALL"...TO BE PERFORMED BY A QUALIFIED TECH..!!!
    There are at least 8 procedures that need to be performed and if you third world "Techs" aren't doing this then you need to travel to the west for some real training.

Technician
    Yikes! I just replaced the drum and the Canon world is once again printing perfectly; which in the end, is the only thing the boss cares about. Should it start mis-behaving again in the short term, I'm going to take your advice and have a qualified service technician come in and do a complete service. I actually spoke to the CFO already and suggested we do this in the near future anyway.

Anyway - I just want to thank everyone for helping me get the printer backup and printing perfectly - quickly! It might have not been done correctly . . . but it works!
    John