Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

IPF8300 giving various different codes

Hi everybody,
    Here is my story. I have an IPF8300. In October 2017 I replaced both print heads. In January it was coding 2F49 so I called Cannon and they replaced the left one for me. About a week later it coded 2F49 again. A couple of days later I get a 2F48 then later that same day I get a 2F51. Then from 2/13 - 2/20 I have got about 10 2F49 codes. I called Canon and they said they can't help me since they already replaced it and since I had that code before replacing it and then after replacing it then it's not the print head. The main board was replaced November 4, 2017. Does anyone have any ideas where to go next? Is it time to look for a new one which I can't really afford.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts

Re: IPF8300 giving various different codes

Probably purge unit does not work ok.Detach and clean pipes.Use injection.
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zoraldinho View Post
    Probably purge unit does not work ok.Detach and clean pipes.Use injection.
    Thank you for your response. I am not sure what all that means. Can you help me a little more please?
    Thanks again.
    David

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I would just replace the purge unit entirely. Cleaning them will sometimes get more life out of it...but it won't be long before it starts giving you trouble again.

Make sure the customer isn't turning the unit off. Letting it go to sleep is the best course of action for the IPF machines.... in sleep mode, they don't use much electricity at all, and the lines stay full of ink.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    I would just replace the purge unit entirely. Cleaning them will sometimes get more life out of it...but it won't be long before it starts giving you trouble again.

Make sure the customer isn't turning the unit off. Letting it go to sleep is the best course of action for the IPF machines.... in sleep mode, they don't use much electricity at all, and the lines stay full of ink.
    Hi Guitar,
    Thank you very much for responding. Looks like you are the second one to go with the purge unit. Here is a little background. I am the owner of the machine and unfortunately the one who has to fix it. Lucky for me I am pretty mechanically inclined and also lucky for me I have people like all of you on this forum for help. Over the years I have changed the carriage board and the main board and of course the print heads. I never turn the machine off so it can always do whatever it needs to. So with all that being said, do you or anyone out there have the repair manual for this machine. I was given one years ago by someone on this forum so I could change the carriage board and what a help it was. It was the kind that a service tech would have on their laptop. Strange thing is I still have it but it won't run anymore. Just so I can learn, I have this question. Why would the purge unit throw all these different codes, although for the most part it is the 2F49?
    Thanks in advance for anything you can do for me.
    David

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

there could be 2 reasons for what is happening to you:

1. Some blockage on the tubes of purge unit or failure of the purge - which influence the degradation of the heads.
    2. Electrical contamination. When PH gets shorted out, it will backfire to the mainboard and as a result you will need to replace mainboard + printheads at the same time to get rid of the contamination.

Just out of curiosity - which country do you live ? (Canon approach looks very dummy)

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by V-P View Post
    there could be 2 reasons for what is happening to you:

1. Some blockage on the tubes of purge unit or failure of the purge - which influence the degradation of the heads.
    2. Electrical contamination. When PH gets shorted out, it will backfire to the mainboard and as a result you will need to replace mainboard + printheads at the same time to get rid of the contamination.

Just out of curiosity - which country do you live ? (Canon approach looks very dummy)
    Thanks V-P. I am in the USA. I sort of thought it made sense what Canon told me as I described in my first post. They said since I replaced the two print heads in Oct and then it coded so they replaced it in Jan and then it coded again they feel it is not the PH. I am assuming that all of you feel it's the Purge Unit because of the wacky way it is throwing codes. I saw somewhere that a Purge Unit code is something like 2F1F which I never get but I guess it could confuse the machine with air problems. Anyway, for some reason I really don't think it is a PH problem anymore but I don't have any good instructions on how to replace the Purge Unit. If someone out there has a service manual that would be great. I have one but it will no longer load on my computer. It brings me to the Canon Prograf box with the blue in the middle. I click enter and it brings up another box but won't load. I know it worked a couple of years ago because I used it to replace the carriage board.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

You don't need a manual to check the purge unit.

There are things you can do

1. Check the tubes for air bubbles
    2. Check the maintenance cartridge for presence of ink.
    3. Start the printer in service mode and perform a head clean B followed by a nozzle check. Post a pic of that nozzle check.

post back the results

ps: Still Canon Dealer is supposed to fix whatever issue you have with the printer...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by V-P View Post
    You don't need a manual to check the purge unit.

There are things you can do

1. Check the tubes for air bubbles
    2. Check the maintenance cartridge for presence of ink.
    3. Start the printer in service mode and perform a head clean B followed by a nozzle check. Post a pic of that nozzle check.

post back the results

ps: Still Canon Dealer is supposed to fix whatever issue you have with the printer...
    Thanks V-P,
    I will do all of the above and then take a picture with my phone and try to figure out how to post it here. The reason I was asking for the manual is in case I have to replace the purge unit. I also saw somewhere that after about 72 - 75,000 times the purge unit will start to act up. I don't know how to go find that number either. As for Canon, I can understand why they won't fix it since the plotter is no longer supported by them because it is six years old and they have new models to replace it with. It does aggravate me though that this thing as had numerous problems over the years that I have never had with any other plotter.
    Thanks for the help and I will try to get you that picture.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hey V-P,
    I did the Head Cleaning B. Then tried to do a nozzle check and got a 2F51. I shut if down and tried again and got a 2F49. Once again it is giving random codes. I'm thinking it's time for a new machine. If you or someone else could really confirm that you guys think it is the Purge Unit and I can get a manual on it, I will order one and try it. I guess it's my last ditch effort. Can someone tell me how to go and check the count on the Purge Unit? Maybe that will give us some help diagnosing this thing.
    Thanks to everyone for your help.
    David