Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

IR 3235 poor print quality, loose toner

So, one of these machines is presenting a printing problem i cant seem to resolve yet, attached images show the error, NISSAN one is the bad one, the Ofice Depot one is how that same fuser prints on our machine, it looks dirty scanned but in reality it is just fine, i edited out some personal info for obvious reasons.

First time client called reported toner was loose and he could actually remove it from the paper with his finger, tried playing with the FIXTEMP setting on service menu, it was originally at 3 so i turned it up all the way up to 7, did a power cycle, and it didnt help.

Took the fuser unit to inspect it and pressure roller looks OK, fuser film looked a bit worn out so i decided to replace it with a brand new one, cleaned everything and applied fresh thermal grease.

4 days later problem came back, same dirty prints, toner is loose i could remove it with my finger, so this time i thought maybe the heating unit was done so i used the one we have for testing at the shop and it started printing fine... for a day and then AGAIN the same problem.

This time i took a whole fuser unit we have at the shop for testing and vacuum cleaned the dev assy in case toner was the problem, and took the original one back to try it on our machine, here it prints just fine, lines are perfect, no "swipe" defects, so i guess this rules out the heating unit, pressure roller and fuser film as the cause, fuser assy seems to be working just fine.

Im out of ideas, problem doesnt seem to be on the actual fuser unit, as i said ive tried with a different fuser combinations, tried with OEM toner and also generic one. everything works fine on our machine, but not on theirs, the only thing ive notices is that the right door feels a little loose, a couple times it even got stuck and had to use a screwdriver to open it, client also says in some days it james a lot on the fuser area, checking the jam list i see a few sensors throwing delay errors PS10 and PS13 being the ones with most.

any suggestion welcome.

2.jpg1.jpg

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: IR 3235 poor print quality, loose toner

Check the fuser temp in service mode, analogue. display & check it is coming upto the correct temp.

You say you have replaced the film only, then another fuser etc so I can see you are trying to save costs so I would assume you are not using genuine canon toner?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Check the fuser temp in service mode, analogue. display & check it is coming upto the correct temp.

You say you have replaced the film only, then another fuser etc so I can see you are trying to save costs so I would assume you are not using genuine canon toner?
    Replaced the film on clients machine, and then tried with our fuser which is printing fine on our machine. Ita not as much as trying to save costs as it is only replacing whats actually broken, i thought it was a broken faulty heathing unit but our fuser is giving the same problem.

Checked temps and on standby it fluctuates btw 95-105 celsius, and printing it goes to 195-200 celsius, humidity 69%.

Also ive tried two dev assys, one with generic toner and OEM on the other, with the OEM problem is noticeably reduced but still i can swipe the tomer off the paper.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

the door is not acctuating fuser, chek hook.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi, What is the condition of the paper ? is it fresh, or stored opened in cold environment?Believe it or not, I have seen this happen....nothing like drying the paper-out at the same time the toner is trying to bond to the paper as it is exiting the machine.
    Hope this helps....Steve

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by livancicm View Post
    This is a good point, the pressure release hook on the door, is this working correctly?

I assume you have the paper weight set correctly?

Always worth opening a fresh packet as a test.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    This is a good point, the pressure release hook on the door, is this working correctly?

I assume you have the paper weight set correctly?

Always worth opening a fresh packet as a test.
    Quote Originally Posted by livancicm View Post
    you mean the white hook that looks like a jaw on the side of the fuser? if i push it to the ¨locked¨ position manually and then close and open the door, it disengages, also the clip on the door that pushes the hook looks fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Machinercylr View Post
    Hi, What is the condition of the paper ? is it fresh, or stored opened in cold environment?
    fresh paper, i opened the pack myself, it reduces the toner "swiping" but still i can remove it with my finger, paper weight is correct.

Could the dev assy magnetic roller cause something like this? ive tested with 3 different dev assys so far, and i notice prints are faint, on one more noticeably than the other 2 but still, an internal print looks faint- faded.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Does this issue happen on different types of paper, if tested. ( OHP, HEAVY, COLORED, etc. )
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I undestand you have swapped-out Developer units, Drums and fuser assemblies. I assumed these were tested and working fine in another donor? But the problem is still faint? What is the current page count? Has the firmware been checked? Have you performed a "half page check/test"?
    I would only think that the optics,,,Laser unit ,slit-glass could be dirty....my thoughts,Steve