Technician

Canon MF8340SDN printing different colors

Hi
    I have printer at a client's place that's printing different colors then the ones I see on the computer screen.
    For example:
    My client has a .docx file, and in the header of that file he has a logo and some text. In the logo he has turquoise color, and part of the text is also turquoise.
    The printer prints the turquoise color from the logo ok, but the turquoise from the text comes out blue.
    I even change the color from the text with the same RGB code from the logo, but still the text comes out blue.
    Now for the interesting part:
    I transformed the file to .pdf and printed the .pdf. Surprise: the turquoise from the text printed OK.
    Can anyone explain that to me?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Canon MF8340SDN printing different colors

**Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by mihailelea View Post
    I even change the color from the text with the same RGB code from the logo, but still the text comes out blue.
    Now for the interesting part:
    I transformed the file to .pdf and printed the .pdf. Surprise: the turquoise from the text printed OK.
    Can anyone explain that to me?
    The text color in the doc has te same RGB code like the turquoise in the logo, but on the printed page it comes out blue. Only the text comes out blue, the logo (picture) comes out turquoise.

If I transform the file to .pdf and print it everything comes out fine, the colors are what they should be.

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts

Text from word for exampple is different like pdf.If you print from word and check in driver "print as picture" you will also get the color ok.
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by zoraldinho View Post
    Text from word for exampple is different like pdf.If you print from word and check in driver "print as picture" you will also get the color ok.
    I tried to do what you said but nothing seems to happen.
    From the printer control panel on the computer, I checked "print as picture", "print as graphics", "publication", and something else but the text color comes out blue on the print with each setting

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mihailelea View Post
    I tried to do what you said but nothing seems to happen.
    From the printer control panel on the computer, I checked "print as picture", "print as graphics", "publication", and something else but the text color comes out blue on the print with each setting

Hi
    I have printer at a client's place that's printing different colors then the ones I see on the computer screen.

RGB and CYMK don't have the same gamut, or range. There are colors which RGB can produce which CMYK physically can't.

Color matching deals with a lot of problems but the central question is what to do with colors that can not be reproduced.
    See it might be that your color exceeds the colors that your CMYK printer can produce.
    The size of each space is called a gamut, and exceeding a gamut is easy since the sRGB space is much bigger than the standard CMYK spaces SWOP, FOGRA, GRACol etc...

This is why most designers design in reverse. They choose a color, usually not in CMYK but Pantone and go backwards from there.
    Again Pantone is bigger than CMYK but provides good starting points for conversions, and has color chips that accurately reflect the values available. Mainly because this is easier than trying to do the tech route, which is demanding to say the least.

Matching colours between screen and print is a complex and sometimes impossible task.
    Due to the nature of light (Screens, RGB) versus ink (CMYK, Pantones, etc) and the fact that pretty much every monitor will display the colour slightly differently and print will look different in different lights. This kind of colour management is a job in itself.

**Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

Ok, I understand that RGB and CYMK are not the same, but the color from the logo is the same color from the text, and the logo (witch is a picture) comes out the right color, and the text comes out blue.
    If the printer could not reproduce the RGB with CYMK then the logo should come out blue like the text, or some other color. But the color from the logo comes out good (turquoise).
    Also, when I transform the word file (docx) to pdf, the color comes out fine for both logo and text. That means that the printer can reproduce the RGB code.
    I can't understand why it doesn't print the text turquoise, but prints the picture or the pdf...