Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts
    Canon C5045  ghost image

Canon C5045 ghost image

Customer called with an issue of ghost image on copies (mostly the black). To resolve issue tried the following:

1. Verified that it was not an issue with feeding heavy stock without changing the paper settings from plain paper to heavy bond. ITB unit looks clean----no residual image. Black print has a raised almost braille feel to it.
    2. Increased fixing temp in service mode to see if issue improved.
    3. Fixing film unit was at 200% of life and making a little noise. Replaced film unit. Tested----problem still exists. Since last visit the ghost image even seems darker and customer had replaced toner before these issues.....so removed black toner cartridge and installed new genuine oem cartridge to see if a bad toner was the issue.....no change.
    4. Installed a fuser unit from a working machine to see if the issue was in the fuser unit itself.....no change....still ghosting.

My next steps will be:
    block the suspected black laser with the cleaning tool and make prints to verify colors do not ghost
    replace Black drum and dv unit
    replace Black laser
    replace circuit boards

Any thoughts on this issue much appreciated.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Re: Canon C5045 ghost image

I have experience with this type of problem. You have bad toner. Remove toner cartridge and either replace dv unit or run test pages until ghosting clears up. Then put in fresh toner. Drum may be OK. If color bleeds onto the edges, replace drum unit.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Canon C5045  ghost image

Quote Originally Posted by blazebusiness View Post
    Customer called with an issue of ghost image on copies (mostly the black). To resolve issue tried the following:

1. Verified that it was not an issue with feeding heavy stock without changing the paper settings from plain paper to heavy bond. ITB unit looks clean----no residual image. Black print has a raised almost braille feel to it.
    2. Increased fixing temp in service mode to see if issue improved.
    3. Fixing film unit was at 200% of life and making a little noise. Replaced film unit. Tested----problem still exists. Since last visit the ghost image even seems darker and customer had replaced toner before these issues.....so removed black toner cartridge and installed new genuine oem cartridge to see if a bad toner was the issue.....no change.
    4. Installed a fuser unit from a working machine to see if the issue was in the fuser unit itself.....no change....still ghosting.

My next steps will be:
    block the suspected black laser with the cleaning tool and make prints to verify colors do not ghost
    replace Black drum and dv unit
    replace Black laser
    replace circuit boards
    Any thoughts on this issue much appreciated.
    go with drum / dev unit first... i've never seen a laser cause ghosting.... blurry / stretched print / voids maybe

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Canon C5045  ghost image

Are you using compatible or OEM toner and/or drums?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Canon C5045  ghost image

I've had that and had to vacuum hopper to get bad toner out, replace dv and put in fresh toner

Canon C5045  ghost image

Quote Originally Posted by chinotech View Post
    I have experience with this type of problem. You have bad toner. Remove toner cartridge and either replace dv unit or run test pages until ghosting clears up. Then put in fresh toner. Drum may be OK. If color bleeds onto the edges, replace drum unit.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. After installing a new oem ctg. and made a ton of prints to deplete old toner in hopper and dv unit ------- with no improvement. So now I am almost certain that bad toner is not causing this. I suspected it initially but now it seems more likely it is an issue with the K dv unit or K drum unit. Appreciate your input though.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Canon C5045  ghost image

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Are you using compatible or OEM toner and/or drums?
    Customer exclusively uses OEM drums & toner only.

Canon C5045  ghost image

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    go with drum / dev unit first... i've never seen a laser cause ghosting.... blurry / stretched print / voids maybe
    Agreed. Will try K drum & dv unit and see what happens. When I logged on to the Canon knowlegebase there were some techpubs pointing to issues like this being resolved by laser or main controller or dc controller but I feel those are more of a long shot. I'll let you know if the drum unit and dv unit makes a difference. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blazebusiness View Post
    Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. After installing a new oem ctg. and made a ton of prints to deplete old toner in hopper and dv unit ------- with no improvement. So now I am almost certain that bad toner is not causing this. I suspected it initially but now it seems more likely it is an issue with the K dv unit or K drum unit. Appreciate your input though.
    By installing the new toner before depleting the old, you may have a mix of good and bad in the dv unit. To save time, just replace the dv unit. It's also possible that the end user may have more than one bad toner. Even OEM toner can be defective or go bad. Just trying to be helpful.

Canon C5045  ghost image

Quote Originally Posted by chinotech View Post
    By installing the new toner before depleting the old, you may have a mix of good and bad in the dv unit. To save time, just replace the dv unit. It's also possible that the end user may have more than one bad toner. Even OEM toner can be defective or go bad. Just trying to be helpful.

I have seen bad toners but I have never have seen 2 bad oem toners before, but anythings possible I guess. Thanks.....appreciate your time.