Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ImageRunner C3480i Firmware and manual

Just installed new drums and machine is stating "Install Black Drum" message. I understand I need firmware update. How can I obtain the firmware and how can I purchase a manual for same.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: ImageRunner C3480i Firmware and manual

Replace the T/B, have had them do that many times, just install transfer belt, it will be fine.

Client does not want to spend money on ITB and through his own research wants me to upgrade firmware. Currently DC-Con is Ver. 48.01 and previous threads state it should be 61.00 to eliminate the need to detect new drum.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

How is a New/Old Drum unit identified

This device does not have memory in the drum unit, when a new drum is mounted, the drum life counter value stored in the printer needs to be reset.
    The device detects old and new drum units, so that the counter can be reset.

The detection is performed by the DC controller CPU monitoring the fuse detection signal.
    When the CPU detects that a new drum unit has been mounted, it outputs a fusing signal and blows the fuse on the drum unit. At the same time, the drum life counter resets to 0.

1. Time of Detection: at power-on, after the front cover is open/closed

Note:
    Do not replace drum units with new ones unnecessarily, in order to check function operations during service, etc. The device blows the drum fuse as soon as it detects a new drum unit and resets the drum life counter to 0. Even if the old drum is replaced immediately, the drum life counter will increment as a new drum unit.

In Service Mode COPIER>FUNCTION>INSTALL >AINR-OFF invalidates drum initialization that is performed when a new drum unit is installed.
    Also, the fuse is not blown, as it would usually be after drum initialization is complete.
    This mode would be used to replace a drum unit temporarily in order to check image quality, for example trying to trace the cause of the problem.
    0: Initialization carried out for new unit. Fuse blown (Default)
    1.: No initialization for new unit. Fuse not blown.

Further, this service mode should be set to [1] only when necessary for service. After the service is complete the setting must always be returned to [0].
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

I replaced all drum units since they were all severely used, causing lines and background. Once the initialization of the drum units was completed, the message "install black drum" was displayed. I did do the procedure that you recommend to no avail. Many threads recommend a firmware upgrade and therefor would like to do that. I am a Sharp/Ricoh/HP/KonicaMinolta shop and am doing this Canon as a favor. I am simply looking for the firmware and a service manual.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Check your messages Topstech.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOPStech View Post
    I replaced all drum units since they were all severely used, causing lines and background. Once the initialization of the drum units was completed, the message "install black drum" was displayed. I did do the procedure that you recommend to no avail. Many threads recommend a firmware upgrade and therefor would like to do that. I am a Sharp/Ricoh/HP/KonicaMinolta shop and am doing this Canon as a favor. I am simply looking for the firmware and a service manual.

Introducing DCON v49.01 to Help Prevent Miscellaneous "Insert Drum Cartridge" Messages

During the life of the ITB Unit, resistance against parts around the Primary Transfer Roller causes a decrease in the primary current at the drum detection sequence. This symptom may occur more frequently
    in a low temperature, low humidity environment.
    SERVICING:
    To address this symptom in the field, we recommend performing the following:
    Insert Drum Message.jpgTransfer H.V. PCB (HV2) Contacts
    Procedure:
    a. Clean the Transfer H.V. PCB (HV2) Contacts.
    b. Clean the Process Unit contacts to the main frame.
    c. Upgrade the DCON to v49.01 (attached with this Technical Publication).
    Note: To install DCON v49.01, use the “Single” button in the Service Support Tool v4.11Er.
    When installing DCON v49.01, extract the .exe file, start the Service Support Tool v4.11Er or higher and
    browse to the folder listed below:
    “C:\Canon File Folder\SST System Software Folder\SST Files\CiRC3380_DCON_v49.01”

================================================== ================================================== =================

If you have only one drum color message issue >>> look into this below issue

imageRUNNER is displaying a message to "Insert Drum Cartridge" for black even after a new drum has been installed.

Solution

The problem could be related to a broken, loose, or missing drive drum coupling.
    In some cases the drum drive coupling was dislodged from the black drum drive shaft.
    This prevented the drum from rotating and caused the machine to display that the drum was not installed.

**Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

If you put old black drum back in, message will disappear. Doesn't solve your problem, but, gets up and running until you replace transfer belt, even a used one will take care of that message.