Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    IRC 2550   noise from ITB assy.

IRC 2550 noise from ITB assy.

A couple of months ago this machine made some noise that I traced to the ITB assy and or cleaner.
    I replaced the cleaner assembly and re-powdered the belt. That stopped it for a while. The belt had about
    150% of use but still looked good. A couple of week later the noise returned. So I replaced the ITB and
    cleaner at the same time. Powdered the belt checked for binds. Done.

It just came back, I did not hear the noise. Last time I could see the transfer belt vibrate and make noise
    with it out on the table. Also thought that the blade may have flipped and stalled the belt. Customer said
    it was a lot of noise. And the copies did not look good. No codes or jams reported.

I generally use Methuselah powder but someone mentioned that some belts call for the kynard (I know its spelt wrong).
    So I pulled it out and checked for binds, no binds. Powdered the belt with the K powder put it in and off it went.

Has anyone else heard of this, using a different type of powder on the ITB??

Thanks

DR

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: IRC 2550 noise from ITB assy.

You can buy the Canon powder and you should. Its a small amount and not expensive and the only powder for these purposes I would use. The powder is for treating new parts. You need a new belt and blade to keep the problem solved.

Now the thing about these belts is that they should last a very very long time to around the 300k image mark in SM. At that time they would usually error , cut or get noisy.
    The other thing is trying to salvage a belt with a new clean blade usually and normally will not work. The belt is old worn, stretched and it will want to make too much noise. Even replacing the pressure blocks by the white gear will not solve a worn and stretched belt. This is not the case on C5000 as you can update and renew the clean blade without any objection from a worn belt. Don't forget to treat with Canon powder. Or 15 sky shots.

techandtrader,
    Thank you for a most informative post. To bad about the belt stretch. This noise came from a new belt and cleaner unit. I used Methuselah powder the first time. Last time
    I used what ever Precision roller sells. What is the name or part number for ordering that powder? I want some.

Thanks again

DR

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

They used to recommend using yellow toner.

If the customer if doing long runs with very little black only coverage this can happen.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Canon FY9-6007-000 Tospearl 240 Powder Jar, Genuine (J3642) The C5000 SM shows the large area this is applied to set new parts.

Copier tech,
    They may not do long runs but most of there work is black and white. So I guess I will have to get that powder
    techandtrader recommends.

Techandtrader, Thank you for the information so I can order that powder.

DR