Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Life expectancy of machines

hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any official Canon documentation for life span of machines, seem to be coming across alot of older machines 7-8 yrs old, and machines with high life, Iradvc5030 with 1.3 million copies on that are falling apart, when I talk to the salesman its oh no, they are good for 1.5 million etc etc, or nope, that machines only 8 yrs old, we told the customer that we can keep it going blah blah.

I thought 5 yrs nowdays was good for a machine but click wise I dont know any parameters on what machines do? Any help?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Life expectancy of machines

I know at one time the life for Konica Minolta production machines was 8 million pages or 8 yrs.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Canons official life span is 5 years or AMPV max x 60

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Life for any machine I would suppose is how long you can repair it and have enough parts to keep it going. I just received a call for a Sharp that is 12 years old, customer wants it clean(poor c/q) I didn't sell it so, but I'll go clean it and see what else could be a problem. Maybe update them, So as far when it's life is up, that's an open issue. Manufacturer might have a date/copy count, but, after that.....

Not sure about othe Countris, but here in Holland it get quite difficult to get parts for a machine thats older than 8 years. Canon doesn't have them anymore... A broker might have some in stock, but that's it then...
    Johan

When it keeps breaking down. And cost a lot of labor and parts to keep it running your owner should target it to upgrade. New less service and parts.

Yes you keep machines FOREVER as long as you can get parts.
    Upgrade anytime time you can
    Last edited by bsm2; 05-16-2018 at 03:50 PM.

I work mostly on hi-volume Xerox printers (135 prints per minute B&W) that are over 25 years old, but they are built like tanks and everything for them is still available. Some of the smaller (40-55 ppm) Minolta machines that I work on are now considered obsolete and some parts are not available anywhere. I've been servicing a few of these for 12 years, and my customers bought them used, so they are about 15 years old. When I can no longer get the parts to make repairs- that's End Of Life for the product.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

My standard answer to clients when they ask what the life of the machine is.

Machines never really die, as long as there are parts and supplies available they can be fixed. As a machine ages there are more issues with the machine. This leads to more down time of the machine and increase in maintenance cost. There comes a time when the cost and down time make it more feasible to have the machine replaced. Each client has to decide what that point is. Most manufactures want people to upgrade around the 5 year mark. We usually have not problem getting parts and supplies up to 7 or 8 years. After that we start to see an increase in service calls. This all is effected by how the machine is used, what the environment it is in and how well it has been maintained.

In the end it is the clients decision. I will make suggestions, but if they will pay to have it fixed I will fix it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Same as a car. How many trips for service. Numerous problems? Parts available?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

I often post to techs on this website, to give it up and put a bullet in the too old copier.

Old copiers are an outdated piece of crap that cannot keep up with what modern IT environments demand.

The techs I work with routinely flush out of their minds how to repair discontinued copier that are more than eight years old. We just decline service. On those copiers that are troublesome or were never that great we decline service sooner.

I understand equipment brokers collect old copiers and sell them to very price conscious customers in lower income countries. Caveat Emptor! Buyer beware! You are usually just buying someone else's problems.

I declined service on a 6 year old 25 cpm A3 b/w copier today with 550k on it. The account never generated much revenue, the service contract had expired and the copier was uneconomical to repair. I quoted them a new copier. We will see what happens.