Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    IRadvC5535I Lines

IRadvC5535I Lines

Hello,

Peculiar one, brand new out of the box IRadv5535. When copying from the glass and DADF the copy quality is perfect, no lines. When the customer prints from the PC, the copy quality is perfect. The slit glass for dadf is clean, but the lines it produces when scanning are from top to bottom, not leading to trailing edge. When scanning A4 or A3 to the customers PC the lines can be clearly seen on the monitor, but if you copy the same documents through the doc feeder, they come out perfect. It has been escalated to canon and they are stumped. The only way we have got round it temporarily is to adjust the doc stop and adjust erase frame, but then the customer cant scan different size originals. The samples are not great, but ive marked the lines, on the samples these lines are dotted, but on the scanned documents are solid lines. When the customer send them back to print, the lines are always down the leading edge! Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    IRadvC5535I Lines

Re: IRadvC5535I Lines

Just to add, the scanned files are compact pdf 300x300 in auto colour greyscale. thanks

So in short, you get weird lines when you scan to pdf.

Somewhere in digitising the document goes wrong. Have you tried scanning and saving to .jpg or a pdf format without 'compact' ?
    I had simular issues (tiretracks) on a 2380...
    Johan

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    IRadvC5535I Lines

Hi,

Yep, I scanned with compact off but still same, the above scanned examples show a dotted line but on the monitor and scanned sheets the line is alot more defined, almost like when using the dadf to scan it's scanning either the leading or trailing edge, wondering if a timing issue, but strange how when copying using dadf the cq is perfect

That's why I suspect the issue to be in the conversion-to-file part and not in the scanning itself... Have you tried .jpg yet ?
    Johan

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Question Re: IRadvC5535I Lines

Quote Originally Posted by MunsterTech View Post
    Hello,

Peculiar one, brand new out of the box IRadv5535. When copying from the glass and DADF the copy quality is perfect, no lines. When the customer prints from the PC, the copy quality is perfect. The slit glass for dadf is clean, but the lines it produces when scanning are from top to bottom, not leading to trailing edge. When scanning A4 or A3 to the customers PC the lines can be clearly seen on the monitor, but if you copy the same documents through the doc feeder, they come out perfect. It has been escalated to canon and they are stumped. The only way we have got round it temporarily is to adjust the doc stop and adjust erase frame, but then the customer cant scan different size originals. The samples are not great, but ive marked the lines, on the samples these lines are dotted, but on the scanned documents are solid lines. When the customer send them back to print, the lines are always down the leading edge! Any ideas?
    I have this same issue with a brand new IR ADV C5560i! The users are scanning with the DADF.

It has been escalated to canon and they are stumped.

Same here!

Did you manage to get a resolution to this issue? I'm really trying to work out what to do about this.

Here's what I have:

scan vs copy.jpg

I've read all relevant sections of the Service Manual (as far as I know, but some of those settings are pretty obscure.)

If there were a manual "edge erase" somewhere I could set on the leading edge, that would solve it. I think if I could add a 1-2mm edge erase on the leading edge that would do it.

I know about the "edge erase" in the user interface, but the problem with that, is apparently that makes you pick a paper size for the edge erase so I have to set it to LTR. But if I make that default, then when the user wants to copy LGL or 11x17 on the DADF, they get a letter size scan. Tried that.

The image is otherwise perfectly square and is not being enlarged or reduced by the scan, so I don't want to mess with LA-SPEED, nor DOCST because those are fine.

And the users note that this "gray line" as they call it, does not show up on every scan, but half or most scans have it.

I called Canon helpdesk and they're stumped.

If anyone has a bright idea, I'm all ears!

Engineer senior 100+ Posts giogi's Avatar

before running a scan, enter the options and increase the deletion erase mm.
    this can be set by default.
    "Knowledge is a source, but unfortunately ignorance is a sea."

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

On the IR ADV C5560i I was handling, I ended up changing these settings which handled the gray line they were getting when scanning Letter on the ADF by expanding the scanned image a bit and moving it toward the leading edge by 1.3mm, which is where the line was being seen on scans.

FEEDER > ADJUST > LA-SPEED decreased by 5
    FEEDER > ADJUST > DOCST increased by 13

Now letter size scans (scanned LTR) scan with no line on the left side which is great.

However I just got samples of LGL scans (scanned headfirst obviously) and those have a small gray line on the scans at the top left of the document. So it seems I have another small adjustment to do.

For this copier I cant set the default to crop the edges like was suggested earlier, because they need to capture all handwriting that might be on those edges.

I'll do another adjustment when I go back to that location, but at least Letter scanning was handled which is primarily what they use.

I hope this helps someone.