Senior Tech 100+ Posts oldschool's Avatar

OP panel issues on IR C5235

We purchased this copier off lease to use for testing an interface solution. We only cared that it pushed paper. Now the OP panel has become very sluggish and seems to get worse as it's used. It gets to the point of being unusable. Only the energy save button seems to work. We unplug it for a while and can use it again for a bit before the same thing happens. After reviewing some old post here my guess is it's the same issue seen before that required replacing the op panel board (FM4-9880-000). It also appears that this part has been superseded with (FM1-R833-000). There are a few sources on line that sell the part for around 80.00 but it appears there is also a firmware update required when the part is installed. The questions I have are:
    1. If I install the new part will I be able to get into the service modes and use the check for an update option?
    2. Can I simply have the old board repaired and not require a firmware update?

This copier was pretty beat up when we got it and is not used for any type of office printing or copying. All we need it to do is push paper and talk to our test board. The boss doesn't want to put much into it but I would like to see if I can get this op panel issue resolved as it's extremely aggravating to test with.
    Jamex Tech Support: Saving the world one phone call at a time.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Re: OP panel issues on IR C5235

A new PCB will allow you to update FW, either through the net or a usb drive. We don't repair PCBs here, so no idea of what the failure is, but seems as though the new PCB and FW upgrade work together for this issue.

OK I'll order the board and follow up with how it goes. And a FYI for anyone reading this in the future, the superseded part of (FM1-R833-000) has its self been superseded with (FM1-U976-000)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Did you try calibrating the panel? there is a procedure to do that.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Have had them go unresponsive when they are pushed from the panel, when moving.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

If there is no regular response from the touch panel and the hard keys are not working, the OP is beyond calibrating. This issue was common amongst the first two generations of advanced boxes, hence the modified PCBs.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Jerrygbs's Avatar

sometimes there is just trash around the perimeter of the touchpanel. Trying running a business card between the plastic cover and the touchpanel before you buy anything.

Technician

If the control panel is unresponsive but the energy save button works ok then the fault is the CPU PCB which is under the control panel.

Part Number: FM1-R833-000

We had tried cleaning and recalibration but it didn't help. The fact that it got worse as it was left on indicated a bad board. One of our engineers looked at it and he believes it's a bad cap. He said he may try and repair it just to see if that was the issue but that's just out of a curiosity. We will not use it as there were clearly design issues with that board. We replaced the board with a new one and updated the copier firmware. Then we re-calibrated display. The op panel is now working correctly. I wanted to mention again the board had a (FM1-U976-000) P/N which superseded (FM1-R833-000).

Thanks for all the replies.