Technician 500+ Posts

Hard Drive replacement

First of all I am new to the Canon product. I have worked on other manufactures and found that any hard drive would work despite the fact that the manufacture said you must use theirs. Having said that, can any hdd be used on the Canons? I have read a few posts but just got confused. Probably because I'm new to the product.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Hard Drive replacement

Re: Hard Drive replacement

Quote Originally Posted by copiman View Post
    First of all I am new to the Canon product. I have worked on other manufactures and found that any hard drive would work despite the fact that the manufacture said you must use theirs. Having said that, can any hdd be used on the Canons? I have read a few posts but just got confused. Probably because I'm new to the product.

If the Canon SST HDFormat program does not recognize the HDD u will not be able to format and load in the firmware.

The newer HDFormat files are encrypted, so u are not able to modify the HD Descriptor file (which would recognize the HDD being used.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Hard Drive replacement

HDD Not Found Message.

When attempting to format a hard drive in a Canon
    ImageRUNNER you receive a message from the
    SST advising that theHDD cannot be found in the drives file.

(Service Support Tool) (Hard Disk Drive)
    HDD Descriptor File
    This is the file which contains the descriptor information for each HDD registered fot he Canon model. The naming of these files is important to understand as you will need to track these files down when you want to format non-standard HDD's.
    iRModel: This will be the model designation for the unit. iR2200 for example. iRXXXX files are encrypted.
    XX: A double X appears in this position for all such files.
    xx: This is the language designator for the firmware files. Since the HDD file is universal this is always xx.
    ####: This is a version number which will correspond to the firmware version number you see in the SST.
    HDFormat: The type of file which is always HDFormat for the HDD Desriptor file. .ift: TheWindows file type. This is used for all Canon Firmware files.
    iRModel-XXxx####-HDFormat.ift

Overview
    The SST provides the ability to properly format new hard drives or reformat corrupted hard drives in Canon ImageRUNNERs.
    Sometimes you will try to format a drive and will receive a message advising you that the unit has an invalid disk installed. This message indicates that theImageRUNNERhas a non-standard HDDinstalled and the SSTdoes not recognize it.
    When you load the firmware for a Canon device into the SST part of the information provided is a list of valid hard drive designations for the model. This list of HDD's not only specifies the name of each valid drive type but also the hardware specifications such as number of read/write heads, platters, surfaces, segment sizes and other technical data describing the features and capacity of the
    HDD to the SST. Canon updates these lists when they use different forms of drives in the different models of copiers and when you install a more recent version of the firmware for a model into your SSTyou are also updating this list of HDD's.

(Read: Non-Canon)
    EncryptedHDDFiles
    Originally these HDD Dewcriptor Files were regular text files which could be editted to add new HDD formats when necessary. More recently Canon has started encrypting the files to prevent them being editted. As such, newer model Canon ImageRUNNER's will require that authentic Canon HDD's be installed should they require replacement. Generic drives may not be on
    the list of supported drives for the SSTand Canon will not release a list of supported drives.

Examples of Edittable vs. Encrypted files would be:
    Edittable: iR2200/2800/3300 iRC3100 iRC5800/6800
    Encrypted: iR2270/2870/3370 iRC3380 iRC4580/5180

Modifying theHDDDescriptor.
    If the HDFormat file for the model you wish to format is
    Edittable you can create a new entry in the file to allow it to support your hard drive.
    You will need to determine the model of the HDD you
    are trying to format to begin. The model will have been
    displayed in the error message fromt he SST. it is also printed on the outside of most HDD's.

Steps to Modify the File
    1. Find the Correct HDD Descriptor File
    2. Disable Read-Only protection
    3. Locate Similar HDD Descriptor
    4. Create Copy of Descriptor and Modify
    5. Increment Supported HDD Counter
    6. Save Modified File
    7. Re-Enable Read-Only Protection

1. Find the Correct HDD Descriptor File
    Search the hard drive of your PC for *.ift files. You will be provided with a list of these files. Find the apropriate HDFormat file in the list. The list will be similar to the example below. The example provided is for an iR2200 and is version 13.

2. Disable Read-only Protection
    The HDFormat files can be set to READ-ONLY which would prevent you from saving your
    revised file at the end of this procedure. Right-click on the file you will be modifying in the list and click on
    the word Properties in the menu that appears.
    If the Read-Only box is checked, uncheck it and click theOKbutton. If it isn't checked you can just
    click on theOKbutton without making any changes.

3. Locate SimilarHDDDescriptor
    Open the file in Notepad and scroll down to the HDD Dscriptors.You need to locate an entry in the list of valid HDD's that is similar to the one you need to configure to support your drive. The more similar the better.Go through the entire list and locate the best match possible.
    Myexample drive is to be a Toshiba MK8025GAS drive. I have located an entry for the ToshibaMK2023GASdrive which is very similar.

4. Create Copy of Descriptorand Modify
    Highlight the block of text related to the HDD Dscriptor you have chosen and copy it using Ctrl-C. Click the mouse on the blank line below the entry and press Ctl-V to create a new copy. Make certain there is a single blank line before and after the new entry.
    Edit the new entry to match your drive. in this case i changed 2023 to 8025 creating an entry in the table formyMK8025GASdrive.

5. Increment SupportedHDDCounter
    Scroll down to the bottom of the list of supported
    HDD's (Note: Not the bottom of the file.) and find the entry
    for the number of drives supported. As you have added a
    new drive you must increment this file by 1. If it was 52,
    you change it to 53.

6. Save the Modified File
    Click on File and Save to save your changes.

7. Enable Read-only Protection
    If you had unchecked the Read-Only box in the
    HDFormat file's properties in step 2, you will now open the
    file's properties again and check the Read-only box to
    protect the file.
    Now that the new entry is in the HDFormat file you should be able to format the drive on your ImageRUNNER using the SST.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    If the Canon SST HDFormat program does not recognize the HDD u will not be able to format and load in the firmware.

The newer HDFormat files are encrypted, so u are not able to modify the HD Descriptor file (which would recognize the HDD being used.

Thanks for the response. I have never used the SST before. We just use USB. May try SST in the shop just to get familiar with it. Guess Canon has a monopoly on the HDDs. I was hoping we could use different hard drives like I did on Kyocera. Saved a lot. Oh well, I guess we will just have to buy HDDs from Canon. Thanks again for your helping me.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Hard Drive replacement

Thanks for the response. I have never used the SST before. We just use USB. May try SST in the shop just to get familiar with it. Guess Canon has a monopoly on the HDDs. I was hoping we could use different hard drives like I did on Kyocera. Saved a lot. Oh well, I guess we will just have to buy HDDs from Canon. Thanks again for your helping me.
    What model are you referring too? all later IRADV Canon you can fit a new HDD (if using correct one) then format the drive & install the firmware using a prepreparred USB stick via SST.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    What model are you referring too? all later IRADV Canon you can fit a new HDD (if using correct one) then format the drive & install the firmware using a prepreparred USB stick via SST.
    Thanks copier tech. I was talking in general. I was told that you can only use Canon hard drives. I have worked on other manufactures machine and always used any hard drive, not the manufacturers. I am new to canons but have been in copiers since 1982.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Hard Drive replacement

Thanks copier tech. I was talking in general. I was told that you can only use Canon hard drives. I have worked on other manufactures machine and always used any hard drive, not the manufacturers. I am new to canons but have been in copiers since 1982.
    Best way to be sure is order an identical HDD that you currently have fitted in the machine.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk