Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Canon IRAdv C5045 blur thru black/white copy only

Have a Canon IRAdv C5045 that has a blur thru copies or prints only when you use straight black/white copies or prints. If you ran just a little bit of color on a page and the rest in black/white its fine never blurs. Have tried replacing the black drum unit, developer unit with no change. Have cleaned the laser glass. tried different paper, stopped it before it fuses image and still has a blurr, so its not a fuser problem. Tried running from different paper trays no difference. Pulled transfer belt and cleaned and checked cleaning blade & roller seems fine. Turned on drum heater. Have run all test patterns in service mode and doesn't show up on any of them. Have done a full graduation copy quality adjustment and doesn't correct the problem. I've inserted a sample copy of the counter report page. if you look at the line directly above the "Send Counter Type" this is the blurriness and distortion in that line, that is what I'm referring to. Looking to see if any one out there has ever seen this before and has a remedy?
    Canon IRAdv C5045 blurry copy.jpg

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Canon IRAdv C5045  blur thru black/white copy only

Re: Canon IRAdv C5045 blur thru black/white copy only

I've seen something similar when I had a slick transfer belt drive roller. When in color mode, the tension on the belt increases just enough to compensate for any "slippage". You might also want to check the transfer roller in the right door for any flat spot.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Had something identical, turned out after replacing practically everything it turned out the vertical guide plate would attract K toner and then smear a black only print along that spot, never color or full process K. No idea why the guide would attract toner there and there only but it did. Check the guide immediately below the ITB as you open the right door, and for good measure also check the one below. Canon had no reports of this until my issue.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roho View Post
    Had something identical, turned out after replacing practically everything it turned out the vertical guide plate would attract K toner and then smear a black only print along that spot, never color or full process K. No idea why the guide would attract toner there and there only but it did. Check the guide immediately below the ITB as you open the right door, and for good measure also check the one below. Canon had no reports of this until my issue.
    What did you find to correct the problem other then cleaning off the guide? Mine seems to get worse the more you run black and white copies/prints, almost like its building up some sort of charge that causes the K toner to smear, cause seems like after it sits for awhile then you try to run it again starts out with a very slight smear and then the more you run it, builds up more and gets worse and worse, but again only on straight black/white never with processed black/white copies/prints.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    What did you find to correct the problem other then cleaning off the guide? Mine seems to get worse the more you run black and white copies/prints, almost like its building up some sort of charge that causes the K toner to smear, cause seems like after it sits for awhile then you try to run it again starts out with a very slight smear and then the more you run it, builds up more and gets worse and worse, but again only on straight black/white never with processed black/white copies/prints.
    Cleaning did not last, had to replace that guide completely. As I said process black and full color never had the issue as I figure the charge would overide the stray static charge on the guide. K prints would be blurred along a straight line. I can't remember if it was the guide immediately below the ITB or the larger one below it. Try removing both and look for K toner buildup on either. If so replace. If no toner build up then likely something else.