Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Cool CLC 3200 Colour Registration etc

Hi Techie's.
    We run an old CLC 3200 machine which is causing me grief.
    The problem first appeared a number of months ago and I spent an age trying to fix it. At first I was getting a problem with toner being printed along the length of an A3 sheet. It was about 10mm wide.
    When I removed the ITB unit there was a toner stripe running right around the belt. I cleaned the belt with "Isoclean" and it ran fine for a little while, then it returned again. Subsequent cleaning had the same effect. I had cleaned the "Cleaning Blade" and eventually a more thorough cleaning did the trick.
    However, another problem developed. The colour registration was all over the place. Doing a full Autograd didn't make any difference, and I repeated this a couple of times before I noticed on the print-outs that the four colours started at different positions. The difference was about 5mm.
    Checking on the forums the suggestions were to clean the DC-Con file, and possibly restore the settings manually. At this point I hesitated for fear of wrecking the whole system.
    I contacted an engineer that I had used in the past and he came to check it out. I believe he cleared the DC-Con and when the machine was rebooted the DC-Con files were all fine. He then needed to do something about the paper sizes on the Stack Bypass.

Everything has been going well until last week when running 1000 SRA3 sheets, and the colour registration moved on the last 50 sheets. Subsequent attempts have given the same result. Doing a full Autograd has the colours miss-aligned again.

The engineer who helped in the past isn't able to at this point in time, so I have cleaned the DC-Con and again after rebooting the info is still there. However, paper sizes are not recognized when sheets are put into the stack-bypass.

Sorry for this 'Epistle' but I need to know what I need to do to set the paper sizes for the Stack-bypass. Also, while I cleaned the DC-con, should I have done anything else?

Something else has just happened today, when the machine was switched on it gave the error code E000020-0181 which I know if for the yellow drum, which isn't very old. Pulling the drum out slightly and putting it back before restarting cures this fault, but I don't know why its started doing it.

Your help would be very appreciated.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Re: CLC 3200 Colour Registration etc

Remove the ITB and remove the belt. cleaning assembly. Clean the main drive rollers with water and dry wipe. That usually takes care of color reg issues. If it doesn't, replace belt and cleaning blade. I never clear anything, causes more issues after.

Check for a door label, there is a small cover inside the front door, should be behind it. Input all door specs into the device in service mode, especially MF and that should take care of your bypass.

Thumbs up Re: CLC 3200 Colour Registration etc

Hi Roho.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I had already removed the belt and cleaned the ITB unit, done autograd a number of times before clearing the DC-Con.

I have made the adjustments that you recommended and SRA3 paper is now recognized in the stack-bypass. I have printed a job that I had in a Mailbox and the colour registration is spot-on.

However, I've tried to send a couple of jobs to the printer from two different Mac computers that are networked to it, but nothing has arrived. Both Macs suggest they have a connection to the printer, but nothing arrives in the mailbox, or prints out directly.

Any suggestions would be great.

Regards

Bill

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11624bill View Post
    Hi Roho.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I had already removed the belt and cleaned the ITB unit, done autograd a number of times before clearing the DC-Con.

I have made the adjustments that you recommended and SRA3 paper is now recognized in the stack-bypass. I have printed a job that I had in a Mailbox and the colour registration is spot-on.

However, I've tried to send a couple of jobs to the printer from two different Mac computers that are networked to it, but nothing has arrived. Both Macs suggest they have a connection to the printer, but nothing arrives in the mailbox, or prints out directly.

Regards

Bill

Likely wrong driver. That is a typical symptom of using a incompatible print driver.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    CLC 3200 Colour Registration etc

Very common on this old series, ITB slips on the drive roller.

You say you cleaned the belt but did you clean the inside & the drive roller?

Cleaning the blade will make the issue worse (the blade can act as brake)

Doing a DC-CON clear will have caused you further issues, E020-xxxx error you are experiencing as an example.

If you want a long term fix replace the ITB & cleaning unit.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

i have had the registration get so far off, even after replacing the itb belt and cleaning all the rollers,the registration would not work. i have had to pull out all of the lasers and manually set back to home and do a quick and full auto gradation in that order. quick is laser alighnment only. had that several times, hated it each time but it worked.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Hi Roho.

Regards

Bill
    The likely culprit is no PostScript available on the CLC. Mac needs PS, or a model specific driver (such as UFR II on Canons) to be able to print. Verify your version of Mac OS too... sometimes the drivers can be OS VERSION specific too. (Thanks Apple)

Thumbs up Re: CLC 3200 Colour Registration etc

Thank you for your suggestions and help guys.

These machines never go wrong when business is quiet, but as soon as rush jobs come in they take on a mind of their own. Probably I've been trying to do things too quickly and not careful enough.
    I've gone through everything again, and hey presto its working a dream. Its an age since the ITB was renewed, so I'm going to order and fit one of them.

Regards
    Bill

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Thank you for your suggestions and help guys.

These machines never go wrong when business is quiet, but as soon as rush jobs come in they take on a mind of their own. Probably I've been trying to do things too quickly and not careful enough.
    I've gone through everything again, and hey presto its working a dream. Its an age since the ITB was renewed, so I'm going to order and fit one of them.

Regards
    Bill
    I used to look after dozens of these old 3200’s the secret is not to let the drums go too far over life as they start the dump toner, this toner gets behind the ITB & it starts to slip.

Replace the ITB, cleaning blade & black drum if over 160% & you’ll find it will run fine.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk