Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: iRC3100

iRC3100

Here's a good one for ya guys:
    I went to a customer's machine last Thursday for a color registration issue.
    Easy fix...it was just a broken support arm in the ITB assembly.
    After the work I reassembled the machine and the customer tested the machine and were satisfied.
    The machine asked for yellow toner...no problem I thought...just out of toner.
    The customer then piped up.."What...again?"
    Apparently they loaded a yellow toner container a few days earlier and now it was out.
    UH OH....
    So I loaded a new yellow toner container which then proceeded to dump through the entire inside of the machine that I had vacuumed out 20 mins earlier.
    Vaccuumed out the machine AGAIN and did 20 single colour copies to bleed the dev with the toner container out...replaced the toner and BLAM....instantly overtoned again and this time threw out an E026-0101 code.
    Ok...I noticed that the machine was drawing a HUGE yellow patch on the itb which is a sign that the drum patch is having trouble reading the surface of the drum.
    Drum was at 75% and I've had them fail around that percentage lately so I replaced it...replaced the drum patch sensor...atr sensor and the yellow dev.
    ALL no good.
    Fresh toner container dumped all through the machine for a 3rd time and followed by E026-0101.
    Bearing in mind that this 1 hour call had now turned into a 6 hour call I gave up and threw the machine in the back of the truck and returned to the workshop with it.
    Now after everything I had tried the last thing I was going to try was a DC clear so I passed that info on to the tech who was taking over that machine so that I could go out and complete the rest of my days calls.
    This customer is almost at the end of their contract so we gave them a quote for an iRC2880 to replace the 3100.
    While the machine was at the workshop it had the toner feed clutches replaced...drum/itb drive motors...and the 2nd transfer clutches and the roller.
    ALL no good...the overtoning continued.
    Now remember that the last thing i diagnosed was a DC clear before it went to the workshop....I had been away on calls all afternoon and when I returned the machine STILL wasn't working.
    So I went to a wreck iRC3100 that we had sitting on the dock and swapped that DC controller into the faulty machine...BINGO.
    Replaced their original dev back and we're all good to go.
    Total service call for that machine: 14hours
    Just thought I'd post this up to help out if anyone should find a similar fault in the field

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    question... you say you did try a dc clear first or was going to do one? anyhow nice fix.

I didn't try a DC clear but I suspect that may have solved the issue.
    Since I had a couple of wreck machines I just went straight for swapping out the dc pcb.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts smiley's Avatar
    thanks for your post Oze.thats realy help. by the way i always inconter the broken support arm of these machine.do you have a p# of the arm support ofthese machine?

After all that work I did on that machine...the trainee tech came back from holidays..was asked to swap DC pcb's around(because on one board I'd re-entered the customer's settings from the p-print) and he put the dud board back into the machine..
    E225-040A....and the black dev density dropped to -75.08
    Haven't heard how they got on as I was on out-of-town calls from 11am til 7pm
    I'll grab that part number for you tomorrow...there are two part numbers one right and one left.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts smiley's Avatar
    thanks bro.

Technician
    I belive the part# is
    FC5-0343-000 ARM TENSION FRONT
    FC5-0344-000 ARM TENSION REAR
    With my field experience "Front Arm Tension" is the one brokes most of the time..