Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canon Adv C5240 not seeing Windows 10 workgroup computers for scanning

Have a new customer that has a new windows 10 workgroup set up and their Canon Adv C5240 will not see the computers for scanning. Have tried to set up the machine for scanning with the SMB browser but it finds nothing. Have tried to manually input the setting and says it can not find the server. These are Windows 10 home and Windows 10 Pro computers set up on a workgroup with no Server. Had noticed that the firmware on the computer was out of date and I up graded it thinking was the problem, it did not fix it. They print to the copier just fine but wanted to scan and keep running into problems setting it up. Any help appreciated. Thanks Never run into this problem before.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Canon Adv C5240 not seeing Windows 10 workgroup computers for scanning

iR ADV C52XX support only SMB1 with the original standard system software, it is possible that on windows 10 only smb 2 and 3 works?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ult-in-windows

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuby View Post
    Have a new customer that has a new windows 10 workgroup set up and their Canon Adv C5240 will not see the computers for scanning. Have tried to set up the machine for scanning with the SMB browser but it finds nothing. Have tried to manually input the setting and says it can not find the server. These are Windows 10 home and Windows 10 Pro computers set up on a workgroup with no Server. Had noticed that the firmware on the computer was out of date and I up graded it thinking was the problem, it did not fix it. They print to the copier just fine but wanted to scan and keep running into problems setting it up. Any help appreciated. Thanks Never run into this problem before.
    Something blocking it. Firewall, antivirus or something else. Sometimes we have to set up sharing permissions. Real pain as most people have no idea what is on their computer.

Quote Originally Posted by disamm View Post
    iR ADV C52XX support only SMB1 with the original standard system software, it is possible that on windows 10 only smb 2 and 3 works?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ult-in-windows
    Thanks disamm, I tried it and it did not work. Will try something else.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Go into Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center. Click the icon for the network connection (Make sure it's set to "Private" or "Work network" and not "Public") and click "Properties". Once there, click the IPv4 protocol and click the "Properties" button. Then click "Advanced>WINS Tab" and change it to "Net BIOS over TCP/IP".

If you leave it at NetBIOS over DHCP, you won't be able to browse to the computers on the network. I had a new install a few years back after the first updates to Win 10 where I discovered this little nugget.... after 2 days!!

You'll also likely need to go into the Windows Firewall settings, and make sure for your Inbound Rules, all instances of "File and Printer Sharing" and "Network Discovery" are set to "Enable".

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    Go into Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center. Click the icon for the network connection (Make sure it's set to "Private" or "Work network" and not "Public") and click "Properties". Once there, click the IPv4 protocol and click the "Properties" button. Then click "Advanced>WINS Tab" and change it to "Net BIOS over TCP/IP".

If you leave it at NetBIOS over DHCP, you won't be able to browse to the computers on the network. I had a new install a few years back after the first updates to Win 10 where I discovered this little nugget.... after 2 days!!

You'll also likely need to go into the Windows Firewall settings, and make sure for your Inbound Rules, all instances of "File and Printer Sharing" and "Network Discovery" are set to "Enable".

Good luck.
    Thanks I will try this..

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

if i recollect, I had this issue that a machine wouldnt find any network PCs or it wouldnt scan via SMB, if you go onto SIMS, some firmware now fixes the SMB scanning issue, not sure if its the browsing issue, but you can turn on SMB1 in windows, however, this is a security thing so would advise against it as can allow network attacks.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kuby View Post
    silly question - but are you using downloaded CANON drivers? or generic windows drivers?

Windows 10 has some very weird properties and their generic drivers SUCK big time and cause lots of problems - this may not apply to scanning, but you never know

i notice you updated the confuser firmware - but have you updated the machine firmware?

also, be sure DNS server addresses are correct

Yes I upgraded the copier firmware too.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts spectraindo's Avatar

The problem is with Windows 10, it disables SMB1 by default so machines cannot send over SMB1.
    If you enable it, next time Windows 10 update will kill SMB1 again, it is a real headache.
    You can try pull scan with Color Network Scangear.