Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    IR-2030 Advance, paper feed issues...

Hey guys... I'm not familiar with this machine, but it's got a little over 300K on it and the top paper tray rollers seem to be the issue... paper will never seem to leave the tray, even though I cleaned the rollers... by chance, do these things have any issues with drive clutches or anything? I just don't want to order feed parts and have the machine still jam from the top tray (bottom tray works fine, by the way, so I had the customer switch to the lower tray for the time being)

Also, is the feed roller a pain to change? I know on some Canons they are. I was able to get the sep assy out pretty easily, but the feed roller looks more difficult.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    OC

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: IR-2030 Advance, paper feed issues...

Quote Originally Posted by Oystercopy View Post
    Hey guys... I'm not familiar with this machine, but it's got a little over 300K on it and the top paper tray rollers seem to be the issue... paper will never seem to leave the tray, even though I cleaned the rollers... by chance, do these things have any issues with drive clutches or anything? I just don't want to order feed parts and have the machine still jam from the top tray (bottom tray works fine, by the way, so I had the customer switch to the lower tray for the time being)

Also, is the feed roller a pain to change? I know on some Canons they are. I was able to get the sep assy out pretty easily, but the feed roller looks more difficult.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    OC
    Please get clearer on the these:
    Does the rollers respond if you press start (you hear a sound implying it is trying to lift the paper)?
    Do they lower onto the copy sheet to lift?
    If they do, carefully smear a small amount of toner (intend to clean after this) on them to find out if they rotate. If they do, you'll see a dirty smear on the picking end of the copy sheet. If you find that out, your conclusion will be that the mechanism is ok, it's the rollers that have gone bad. If they don't that is when you think of clutches and gears.

To remove, the attachment tells you how the roller is. The inner pin locks into place. Carefully press and hold down the pin and drag rightwards. I hope it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The separation roller assembly comes out fairly easily...just make sure you get the correct one! The assembly for the iR Adv C 2030 is NOT the same as the one for the C2230 series!! Check your part numbers. I do believe the PICKUP roller might be the same though.

I did have one paper feed unit for cassette one go bad on me, but if you follow the instructions in the Service Manual, they're not that hard to change.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Well, I know the feed roller is turning (or trying to turn) because it always picks the paper up about 1/2 inch and stops there...

But I still need to know if there are any KNOWN issues with feed clutches, etc on this machine?

And I don't have the S/M to figure out how to remove that feed roller...

THANKS!
    OC

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oystercopy View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Well, I know the feed roller is turning (or trying to turn) because it always picks the paper up about 1/2 inch and stops there...

But I still need to know if there are any KNOWN issues with feed clutches, etc on this machine?

And I don't have the S/M to figure out how to remove that feed roller...

THANKS!
    OC
    You can remove the feed roller without the S/M:

After you pull out the cassette tray, look rightwards into its chamber, where you'll find the feed rollers.
    As you could find out in the attachment above, the inner pin is where you'll press and hold, as if you are squeezing the inner pin and the outer guide. squeezing and pulling rightwards will bring it out.
    When replacing, slot it back on the same pin, ensuring the gear end slots unto a cross pin. To be sure it is locked, grab the roller and pull without the inner pin. If it does not move, it means the pin has locked into place perfectly. Do this until you have all the rollers fixed. Let us know how you fare buddy!

Oh my gosh, seriously? If I had known it was as easy as an HP, I wouldn't have bothered you guys! Yes, certainly, they LOOK LIKE HP rollers.. just wasn't sure.. don't know why Canon and HP have been sleeping together for this many years...?? LOL
    OC

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

mc has a issue with top pick up jams.

rollers wear down in sections..

also a rod comes out of postion where you need to strip it out and clip it back in.but 7 out of 10 times its rollers.