Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

how to configure SST with USB to Parallel ?

i have old machine ir5000 have error 602-001 wich is hard drive problem,
    there is no port lan/ethernet to connecting the SST with the machine.

can we use an adapter like this ?
    usb-lpt.jpg

and how to configure it ?
    i have sst with version 4.81er, 4.11er, 4.22et, 2.01, 1.63e, 1.73e
    with the firmware files .

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: how to configure SST with USB to Parallel ?

I'm curious, do you have the service manual? A copy of Revision 0 can be downloaded for free here:

CANON IR5000 SERVICE MANUAL Pdf Download.

From what I picked up in the service manual is a Bi-Centronics Cable should be used. The copyright date on the service manual I downloaded was 2000. This would seem to mean that either Windows 2000 or Windows XP (or maybe even Win98) is expected to be used in order to connect to the IR5000.

It may very well be possible that in order for the Canon Support Service Tool to work it must recognize the IR5000 which may or may not require the driver. The Driver must be compatible with both the PC you are using and the IR5000.

Unless it of course it is a terminal to terminal arrangement using a standard Centronics parallel cable between the PC and the IR5000.

I suspect that if you are using the Centronics connector on the IR5000 it may need a bit more than the ability to send and receive. Here is an explanation of the Centronics pinout:

Parallel cable pinout and port information

I may be over thinking this but it seems if you want to use this adapter will any version of Canon SST you have recognize both a USB port on your PC AND the IR5000 on the other end?

I suppose you could try.

I also found a digital copy of the SST from 2012 here:

http://www.techsupportxt.cusa.canon....ser_Manual.pdf

On page 15 is explained what is needed for the installation. It maybe very different for the later version (4.81er) which you have mentioned.

Do you have the SST Version 4.81er manual? It may hold all of the information you seek.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oxzz View Post

usb-lpt.jpg

I think so. Like the other poster said you could try it. I had to do it once and it worked but that was years ago. Maybe sst with a crossover cable would be best.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
    I think so. Like the other poster said you could try it. I had to do it once and it worked but that was years ago. Maybe sst with a crossover cable would be best.

Crossover won't work. Their machine doesn't have ethernet.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oxzz View Post

usb-lpt.jpg

In order for that cable to work with the SST it has to be used with a working machine 1st. Windows won't install the correct drivers if you plug that cable in the ir5000 with an error code. Plug it in to a working ir5000 and make sure you can print before trying it on the one with the HDD error. IIRC there was a USB driver file that was buried in the SST installation directory or had to be downloaded separately. Without that driver it won't work. Canon recommends their $$$ expensive cable but the one I had wasn't from Canon.

We used to keep a spare Network card just so we didn't have to use that cable. Even if it doesn't have the boot rom with the printing license, the network card will still work. It will allow you to input an ip address. Get a hold of a network card and you won't need that cable. It's also much faster updating firmware. NIC=20 minutes USB=45 minutes

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    Crossover won't work. Their machine doesn't have ethernet.
    I tried sst with a 5020 software and it said this windows (10) does not support parallel, use usb. But it had a network ip address. So I went to my windows xp laptop and it had Bi-Centro on the interface. Had 5020 software on sst 4.75 which would work usb to parallel. It looks like the version of windows makes the difference.

Was going to download the 5000 software on win xp laptop but it said 45 min download and I needed to use the win 10 laptop. I am guessing it will give the same info.
    Last edited by dan7777; 12-26-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
    I tried sst with a 5020 software and it said this windows (10) does not support parallel, use usb. But it had a network ip address. So I went to my windows xp laptop and it had Bi-Centro on the interface. Had 5020 software on sst 4.75 which would work usb to parallel. It looks like the version of windows makes the difference.

Was going to download the 5000 software on win xp laptop but it said 45 min download and I needed to use the win 10 laptop. I am guessing it will give the same info.
    You can still download "Windows XP mode" which was originally intended for Win7. It's a XP Shell which opens a window on/in the Windows 7 desktop, do not know if it will also work with Win10.

Download Windows XP Mode from Official Microsoft Download Center