Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Canon IR4570 making terrible noise

Re: Canon IR4570 making terrible noise

I’ll be going back tomorrow to try some of your suggestions. It is in a very dusty place and requires a lot of cleaning.
    I’m wondering though why the noise doesn’t happen all the time and can go for days not making the noise and then suddenly it makes it a couple of times on the same day?
    Also I spent 2 hours doing everything I could to get it to make the noise, running over 1000 copies and also having them make copies and scan items to their emails in the hopes of duplicating the noise and not a peep. And not a peep for 2 days after and then suddenly blamm !!
    Its just so crazy to have such a loud noise that lasts so long yet I can’t duplicate it...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I have run all 16 motor checks at least 4 times each and NO noise. All chec our ok. But I did finally hear the noise myself today and it sounds like it’s comeing from the exit area of the machine. But it ended so fast I couldn’t pinpoint it better. Also it has only made it one time today even with 1500 pages run. I checked the Fuser, the developer & drum with no issues noticed.

As as I was typing this message my customer PRINTED to the machine and it made the noise again. Is there something different that I should check with printing v copying? I assumed they used the same “moving parts”
    Any other ideas?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If you slide out the finisher and disconnect the connectors in the back and cheat the exit sensor you can simulate the machine not having a finisher and rule out the finisher if it is making noise but it could be a little difficult if it’s so intimate. I still think it sounds like the Hopper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

It is consistent with a rebuilt drum unit with an aftermarket Drum/ blade. Just replacing the drum can cause this noise. I tried it once and never again. The same drums worked great on the 2200.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

These intermittent problems that only happen when you're not around are the pits.
    It might be worth considering what environmental influences there may be that are precipitating the issue.

When I was thinking about this problem last evening, some possibilities came to mind in terms of finding out how to make it happen or at least predict when it is more likely:

1) Is it set off by unusual temperature or humidity? Maybe it tends to happen in the morning when the office is cold, or midday when the office is very warm.
    2) Does it happen if they print on a certain type of media? Perhaps if the prints are low or high density.
    3) Are they mixing up the paper type that they use: perhaps prolonged use of some dusty paper that they are hand feeding is having an effect later on.

I had an issue with a different machine making a noise that was hard to locate. Then someone reminded me of the old pipe trick and I found it quite quickly that way.

Apologies if you have been over these.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

After listening again to the video, something else that occurred to me is that the period of the whining is about a second.
    So you are looking for something that rotates at about 1Hz.

That sounds to me like a drum, rather than an exit roller which would probably rotate a lot faster.