Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Canon iRA 4235 - Accidently erased Settings - Blurred Text

Hello fellow techs! I attempted to reset the password and instead cleared "everything". When I attempted to reset the PWD-CLR, it didn't change the password back to factory, so I cleared "something else" under "Function"... Whichever one I cleared, the machine turned off, took a little while to come back up, but when it did, everything was fine, returned to factory settings, but the print is now very blurry.

I have to go back Monday and make this right and the only section I could find in the service manual is "Copier/Adjust/Laser" - "Copier/Adjust/ADJ-XY" - "Copier/adjust/HV-PRI" and Copier/Adjust/IMG-LSR"

I'm not sure what I'm doing, so the rule of thumb is, before you get DEEPER, ask for help!

HELP!! LOL

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Canon iRA 4235 - Accidently erased Settings - Blurred Text

Quote Originally Posted by chrisban35 View Post
    Hello fellow techs! I attempted to reset the password and instead cleared "everything". When I attempted to reset the PWD-CLR, it didn't change the password back to factory, so I cleared "something else" under "Function"... Whichever one I cleared, the machine turned off, took a little while to come back up, but when it did, everything was fine, returned to factory settings, but the print is now very blurry.
    I have to go back Monday and make this right and the only section I could find in the service manual is "Copier/Adjust/Laser" - "Copier/Adjust/ADJ-XY" - "Copier/adjust/HV-PRI" and Copier/Adjust/IMG-LSR"
    I'm not sure what I'm doing, so the rule of thumb is, before you get DEEPER, ask for help!
    HELP!! LOL
    well those will be some you may have to adjust ... big thing is... are all consumables in really good shape? IF they aren't and you start making adjustments with them in bad shape could cause them to fail even quicker asking them to operate on bias level that have been compromised due to condition.

FYI .... any time I KNEW i might have to attempt a step that could end up in wiping of memory, I always back u NVRAM and address books before hand ( yes like you in this situation I learned the hard way )

good luck correcting color reg on some units can be a real bitch!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

HELP!! LOL
    You have reset the ITB referance values this is why your colours are not aligned.

You may however find when you go back the machine has corrected itself, if not run IMG-REG in level 2
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yes, they're in great shape. Unit was printing perfect before I screwed it up.

Does the field manual tell me how to enter Service level 2 mode??

Thanks for your response. I've been pretty good about doing that on machines I don't know well. I'm a Xerox Dealer so Canons are machines I touch less often.

But, learning the hard way is something I guess I like to do about once or twice a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    well those will be some you may have to adjust ... big thing is... are all consumables in really good shape? IF they aren't and you start making adjustments with them in bad shape could cause them to fail even quicker asking them to operate on bias level that have been compromised due to condition.

FYI .... any time I KNEW i might have to attempt a step that could end up in wiping of memory, I always back u NVRAM and address books before hand ( yes like you in this situation I learned the hard way )

good luck correcting color reg on some units can be a real bitch!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thank you! How do I get into service mode 2? I'm a Xerox dealer so Canons are not my best depth of knowledge.

Again, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    You have reset the ITB referance values this is why your colours are not aligned.

You may however find when you go back the machine has corrected itself, if not run IMG-REG in level 2

Yes, they're in great shape. Unit was printing perfect before I screwed it up.

Does the field manual tell me how to enter Service level 2 mode??

Thanks for your response. I've been pretty good about doing that on machines I don't know well. I'm a Xerox Dealer so Canons are machines I touch less often.

But, learning the hard way is something I guess I like to do about once or twice a year now.
    Yes manual covers it.
    RE: Xerox etc. Copiers are copiers.. yes mono/dual components blah blah.
    The process is basic.. just learning diff brands is time consuming and creates baldness in some cases! LOL

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Technician

Firstly, Black and White Machine so no ITB involved..a bit easier than a colour machine laser, not a fun job, had to do alignments after a tech wiped a machine, got it in the end but by geeze it was not fun.

Secondly, re-enter values from the "door sticker" this will be a "reference point"

Black and white machine laser references are a little harder to set as you don't have a yellow reference point like colour machines

I would suggest door values, reboot, see if this improves things, most Canon printers have a sticker "birth certificate" on the door or inside frame depending on model, these values are very handy as they create a "base" reference point.

Always backup before working on machines, please...it takes a short time to save a very big headache

Also blurred prints can be bad drum / developing system

MAKE SURE all parts are IN LIFE before playing, as others said, you can make it MUCH WORSE if old parts have "compensated" for wear etc.

Good Luck

Thumbs up Re: Canon iRA 4235 - Accidently erased Settings - Blurred Text

Quote Originally Posted by shawncrowther View Post
    Firstly, Black and White Machine so no ITB involved..a bit easier than a colour machine laser, not a fun job, had to do alignments after a tech wiped a machine, got it in the end but by geeze it was not fun.

Secondly, re-enter values from the "door sticker" this will be a "reference point"

Black and white machine laser references are a little harder to set as you don't have a yellow reference point like colour machines

I would suggest door values, reboot, see if this improves things, most Canon printers have a sticker "birth certificate" on the door or inside frame depending on model, these values are very handy as they create a "base" reference point.

Always backup before working on machines, please...it takes a short time to save a very big headache

Also blurred prints can be bad drum / developing system

MAKE SURE all parts are IN LIFE before playing, as others said, you can make it MUCH WORSE if old parts have "compensated" for wear etc.

Good Luck
    yes .. the door sticker

Quote Originally Posted by shawncrowther View Post
    Always backup before working on machines, please...it takes a short time to save a very big headache ..Also blurred prints can be bad drum / developing system..
    MAKE SURE all parts are IN LIFE before playing, as others said, you can make it MUCH WORSE if old parts have "compensated" for wear etc. Good Luck
    Excellent info!

One thing I would add ( and some of my techs FAILED to do..which royally Pissed me off )

Print the total service info.. Store it in an envelope stuck to the back of the machine WITH the service Log... makes it easier on you and the next in line!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

YOU DID A MMI clear if mc rebooted after clear.

yes sticker as reference
    not sure what you mean by blurred text
    does it look like bk is missing in lines?broken line.LINE NOT SOLID

thats normaly HVT
    YES no ITB in mc

but if mc was working fine before you cleared it then its just settings in mc...unless mc wasnt in good shape where other techs changed bias settings to overcome issues andby you clearing setting you set mc back to standerd settings.
    you should post a pic of issue.