Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

C5030i A3 paper size not available

Hi all,

We have a C5030i but at present are not able to use it. I have installed the Canon driver for our Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon operating system but cannot print anything as I get the error message
    The most proper size of A3 is not available

This applies even if I attempt to print either a test or self test page, both of which are A4 pages. The same if I attempt to print from an application and actually select an A4 paper size. I still get the A3 error.

I have posted in the Mint forums but there is no one there that can offer any suggestions as it is a Canon thing. Can anyone here help please?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: C5030i A3 paper size not available

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherBigAl View Post
    Hi all, We have a C5030i but at present are not able to use it. I have installed the Canon driver for our Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon operating system but cannot print anything as I get the error message
    This applies even if I attempt to print either a test or self test page, both of which are A4 pages. The same if I attempt to print from an application and actually select an A4 paper size. I still get the A3 error.
    I have posted in the Mint forums but there is no one there that can offer any suggestions as it is a Canon thing. Can anyone here help please?
    does the driver show setup n options installed?
    are the TRAYS set?
    what does the display say for set media sizes per tray?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If you're using Mint, what print driver are you using?

I've had the best luck on Linux using Codehost. I never tried the Canon branded Linux driver, so I can't offer much in the way of suggestions.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    are the TRAYS set?
    Oh dear, this is all over my head. Where would I look to see the driver setup options please? The printer has four paper trays and from top to bottom they correctly shew A4, A4, A4r and A3. I am not sure what you mean by set media sizes by tray. The paper disks that display the paper size for each tray are correct and inserted properly.

I have been around Linux for many years now, but am a complete novice when it comes to printers. Previously they have all been HP injet types and just worked. The printer terminology is still a fog but I WILL get there. Thank you for looking at our little problem.

By the way, as an addendum, I find the I cannot log into the printer without a password or even into cups using localhost:631

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post

I've had the best luck on Linux using Codehost. I never tried the Canon branded Linux driver, so I can't offer much in the way of suggestions.
    I have just been looking at Codehost's web pages. Is it commercial or free software? I cannot make that out. As you are a user how do you rate their support/forums please?

Technician

PrinterDriver/Canon/UFR-II - Debian Wiki

I notice that there is no 'News' on their website since 2005. Are they still providing support?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    are the TRAYS set?
    We were experiencing some issues with colour and stapling bur apart from that the printer was working fine. That is, up until the time when the operating system was re-installed which meant that we lost the driver. Trouble started with the new, current driver from the Canon website.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

are the paper guides set in the proper paper trays? do you also get an error if you try to print from a windows PC?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by dalewb74 View Post
    are the paper guides set in the proper paper trays? do you also get an error if you try to print from a windows PC?
    Yes, the paper guides are correctly set. I cannot say about Windows. We have not used Microsoft Windows on any machines here for at least ten years, possibly nearer 15.

Although there was an issue with colour rendering the printer was working fine up until recently when the server operating system was reloaded. By then Canon had updated their deb and rpm drivers and as our Mint OS is Debian based it is the deb driver that I am trying to get working.

Thank you for looking at this problem for me. I confess to being at a complete loss.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherBigAl View Post
    I have just been looking at Codehost's web pages. Is it commercial or free software? I cannot make that out. As you are a user how do you rate their support/forums please?

It's free, once you fill out the form. I've never had to use Codehost support, so I can't speak to that.... it's pretty straightforward once you install the drivers, and configure the printer.