Scanning issue at customer place

Hello everyone, I need your help !

One of our customer got two iRA C5235i, 2 weeks ago, they sent me a mail of a strange thing happening to BOTH printers.
    Randomly (at least, 3times a day), a black strip will occur when scanning, and ONLY scanning. Copying won't trigger this.

Once it happen, it'll stay here until the printer is rebooted and will show on BOTH scans & copies.
    What were the odds of this happening to BOTH printers at the same time ?

Being concerned with it & curious to found out more about this, we switched one of their printers to a iRA C5030i.
    That was 2 weeks ago and everything worked fine until yesterday. It started again, still on both of them.
    Meanwhile, the one we took back to our place have been working flawlessy since then.

Even if our customer is certain that the printers are faulty, I hardly think so. Can their electrical network cause this ?
    Maybe the printer doesn't get enough power to fully active the scanning unit ?

Don't mind the white mark on the pdf, I feel like those informations should stay private

I may have forgotten some details and it'll be a pleasure to answer any questions !black strip.pdf

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Scanning issue at customer place

Sounds like their ele. network is bad.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Well, I've seem power related issues manifest as fuser error codes, finisher jamming, and DF jamming, but never a scan quality issue. I'm certainly not saying that it's impossible. Two weeks is a long time to wait with the power quality analyzer on the line, waiting for it to act up, but since the PQA has a looped memory, it will just continue to record, dumping the oldest data and adding new data. My Fluke will hold 72 hours worth of data, so if you arrive within 72 hours of the precipitating event you'll have captured it.

It's certainly a place to start.

Other possible causes are:
    poor flat cable connections to the CCD
    bad CCD
    flat cables

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts

I saw something similar when the user connected the machine to an outlet that was on UPS.
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Back ! Was out of town yesterday.
    I'll check again their power socket, I don't think they use an UPS tho.
    Going to ask them to move printers a bit so we can plug them somewhere else too.

And sadly, we don't have access to a PQA

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Probably going to sound random, but ask them if they're running "Power Over Ethernet" (P.O.E.) on their network.

I've seen power over ethernet to strange things to SEVERAL different brands of copiers....Canon included.

Also check your line voltage coming into the machine. Whenever I see random issues like this, that I'm unable to duplicate in our service department, first thing I check is voltage. I had a Canon imageRUNNER throwing a fuser E-Code every couple of days, and for the life of me I couldn't find out why. I have a line checker, and while I was looking at the display, someone turned on a paper shredder across the room and the A.C. Voltage dropped from 120 VAC down to 113 VAC. After the shredder stopped running, voltage went back up.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I would be more concerned the power cord ground. Go from ground to each slot in outlet, if more than .5 (half volt) Houston we have a problem.

I'm with cat on this never seen a scan issue from wall voltage. And even more strange is now 3 machines including loaner you dropped off are all doing same thing. It just don't make sense because most newer copiers have noise filters built in.

I don't know Canon that well but could it be they are trying to copy money or something and it leaves a stripe until rebooted, etc. I know Kon Min models do weird stuff like make pages black if you try and copy money, stock certificate, etc.