Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Canon IR ADV C3525 adf skew

Single pass ADF, front and back sides skew quite badly with 11x17. This machine is nearly brand new.
    Adjusting the right hinge didn't change much. We have tried all the way front, to all the way back with half turns of adj screw.
    ADF height was also adjusted on both sides with no noticeable change. We just chase it around.

A new tested and working ADF was brought out to segregate the issue. When installed on "problem" machine, it had the same skew.
    Some right hinge adjustments on this ADF didn't make any changes either.

The strange part is, when the working ADF was brought back to its original machine, the skew came with it.
    Same issue. Both sides skewed roughly the same amount. So now there are two ADF units with same issue.

Things don't add up. Makes no sense that front and back are skewed now (top side scanner was not touched at all).
    Any ideas?
    Anyone??

Havent reached out to Canon ISG yet.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar

Re: Canon IR ADV C3525 adf skew

what does it look like off the glass??

There are some service modes under copier>feeder that you can play with to adjust skew...not sure how well it really works.

Try backing up R-CON and blowing it away maybe some settings are messed up somehow.

I've had a few odd things happen like this on these new 3rd gen out of the box.

Off the glass is perfect.
    No available options to adjust skew via service mode.
    Firmware is up to date. R-CON backed up and cleared. Init All Data was performed as well.

After a call to Canon, and some testing with other machines, this is a known issue.
    There wasn't a good resolution either. It seems to fall under the "inside tolerances" umbrella.
    Not going to fly with this customer. I wouldn't accept it either.

I was told to adjust the pressure of the pinch rollers on left side (lead roller 1).
    No changes.

Seems to me, the issue is happening at the "pullout roller".
    By the time it reaches the "reg" and "lead" rollers, its skewed too badly to correct.
    And clearly the arch at reg isn't doing its job either.

You can hold the trail edge towards the back of the machine when feeding to get better results, but that is not an acceptable option.

Best of luck to all with this issue...time to perform some mental gymnastics with our customer!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chickenfatshake View Post
    Off the glass is perfect.
    No available options to adjust skew via service mode.
    Firmware is up to date. R-CON backed up and cleared. Init All Data was performed as well.

After a call to Canon, and some testing with other machines, this is a known issue.
    There wasn't a good resolution either. It seems to fall under the "inside tolerances" umbrella.
    Not going to fly with this customer. I wouldn't accept it either.

I was told to adjust the pressure of the pinch rollers on left side (lead roller 1).
    No changes.

Seems to me, the issue is happening at the "pullout roller".
    By the time it reaches the "reg" and "lead" rollers, its skewed too badly to correct.
    And clearly the arch at reg isn't doing its job either.

You can hold the trail edge towards the back of the machine when feeding to get better results, but that is not an acceptable option.

Best of luck to all with this issue...time to perform some mental gymnastics with our customer!
    Canon actually said that?? That's pretty bad.

Is this the single pass ADF or no?

I haven't actually had any new 3rd gen machines (they all seem to have the same or similar built ADF) have any skew issues...in fact, I rarely have any skewing problems on Canons. I was trying to check the older manuals I have for C5200 series since it has a similar ADF - there used to be a service mode adjustment under service mode>feeder that would let you adjust for skew...probably some kind arch adjustment with the ADF. Not sure if the new ones have this or not.

I can check the 3530 I have at office tomorrow during setup to see if anything makes sense if it helps?!

Yes it's the single pass. And I also recall that same adjustment in the past. This unit does not have that. Mechanical only. We have seen the issue on a few units. Thankfully not many customers run 11x17 through their feeders !
    And yes Canon ADF units typically work quite well, or can be adjusted.
    I have a suspicion that this issue is bigger than just these 2 or 3 units we have. But time will tell. Sometimes Canon takes a while to correct problems, but they always get around to it.
    As for the tolerances comments, I think they are just kickin the can a bit. We shall see.
    Thanks for your input! I'll reply if my boss comes up with something magical. His shot at it today, hopefully...lol