Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canon C7010 - Weak Black

Hi, folks - I've got a C7010VP that has weak black in the prints. I had swapped the entire PCB (1-1,1-2, and 1-3) rack to resolve a different issue, and have gone back over those one at a time to make sure that the issue isn't with the boards. I can switch the entire P-kit and the issue remains. If I swap the K dev unit the prints are dark for a while, but then it fades again. When I put the K dev unit into another machine it takes the weak prints with it, which makes me think there's something with the toner/dev mix maybe? I installed a new K dev unit and developer, and it held for about a day and then faded out again.

When I perform a grid-adj the black is weak or even completely absent, which had me chasing the charger for a minute but when I saw the problem follow the unit to the other machine I abandoned that route. I also swapped and checked out the environmental control board and the K potential control board.

I'm considering the controller box assembly next. I did at one point swap the video cable for the K writer, but the black being absent from the grid adjust with the laser not writing makes me wonder. I suppose I should swap that back to rule it out. If anybody has any bright ideas on it I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Canon C7010 - Weak Black

Re: Canon C7010 - Weak Black

Quote Originally Posted by neoboy3000 View Post
    Hi, folks - I've got a C7010VP that has weak black in the prints. I had swapped the entire PCB (1-1,1-2, and 1-3) rack to resolve a different issue, and have gone back over those one at a time to make sure that the issue isn't with the boards. I can switch the entire P-kit and the issue remains. If I swap the K dev unit the prints are dark for a while, but then it fades again. When I put the K dev unit into another machine it takes the weak prints with it, which makes me think there's something with the toner/dev mix maybe? I installed a new K dev unit and developer, and it held for about a day and then faded out again.

When I perform a grid-adj the black is weak or even completely absent, which had me chasing the charger for a minute but when I saw the problem follow the unit to the other machine I abandoned that route. I also swapped and checked out the environmental control board and the K potential control board.

I'm considering the controller box assembly next. I did at one point swap the video cable for the K writer, but the black being absent from the grid adjust with the laser not writing makes me wonder. I suppose I should swap that back to rule it out. If anybody has any bright ideas on it I appreciate the help. Thanks.
    well you never mentioned:
    compat toner?
    life on drums?
    I assume you cleaned laser path glass/lens?
    are you calibrating the swap units each time?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    well you never mentioned:
    compat toner?
    life on drums?
    I assume you cleaned laser path glass/lens?
    are you calibrating the swap units each time?
    OEM Toner
    Have tried different drums and drum assemblies, including new ones - as I said I switched even the entire P-Kit from a working machine
    I am looking again at the laser now, but yes, the path and glass are clear
    Yes, calibrating after swapping units. DPC, server shading correction, auto gradation, color calibration.

I said I would try the video cable for the K laser, since it had been swapped before, that did not resolve the issue. Going to look closer at the laser unit again, I have spare machines to swap parts with for troubleshooting.

Swapped the writer, no change. Wondering if toner concentration has anything to do with it, since the problem seemed to follow the dev unit to the other machine. As if the mix inside of it wasn't good. Looked like toner is getting through, will look into it.

Looking through settings for clues, found that the patch detection at ATR control - Lv 2 COPIER>DISPLAY>DENS-S-K - is reading at 542, but the value of the target - Lv2 COPIER>DISPLAY>DENS>D-K-TRGT - is set to only 365. The other three colors are around 360 and are reading normally. Tried swapping the whole black P-kit again to test a different patch and potential sensor, but no change. Going to investigate this route more. It has something to do with the density control, maybe the toner concentration.

Thanks to anybody watching the thread, trying to think out loud on this one.

Engineer

Looking through settings for clues, found that the patch detection at ATR control - Lv 2 COPIER>DISPLAY>DENS-S-K - is reading at 542, but the value of the target - Lv2 COPIER>DISPLAY>DENS>D-K-TRGT - is set to only 365. The other three colors are around 360 and are reading normally. Tried swapping the whole black P-kit again to test a different patch and potential sensor, but no change. Going to investigate this route more. It has something to do with the density control, maybe the toner concentration.

Thanks to anybody watching the thread, trying to think out loud on this one.
    Do you have service manual for this machine?

Quote Originally Posted by tbyabachwezi View Post
    Do you have service manual for this machine?
    Yes, I've been trying to read through it in regards to this issue.

Engineer

Yes, I've been trying to read through it in regards to this issue.
    Ok good to know if you have the service manual. But any success? You are getting weak print only in black? And have you tried to toner up?

Quote Originally Posted by tbyabachwezi View Post
    Ok good to know if you have the service manual. But any success? You are getting weak print only in black? And have you tried to toner up?
    The only success I did see was when I changed developing assemblies it was normal but then faded. It is only in the black, yes. I'm not sure where the control is to adjust the toner amount, but I did have the idea of trying to adjust it. I was getting ready to look for it in the service controls menus of the manual but got pulled away to replace some drive components on another machine that were more urgent. The other idea I had was bad toner, but I think it's more how much toner is being mixed.

Thank you for the replies, it's much appreciated.

Engineer

The only success I did see was when I changed developing assemblies it was normal but then faded. It is only in the black, yes. I'm not sure where the control is to adjust the toner amount, but I did have the idea of trying to adjust it. I was getting ready to look for it in the service controls menus of the manual but got pulled away to replace some drive components on another machine that were more urgent. The other idea I had was bad toner, but I think it's more how much toner is being mixed.

Thank you for the replies, it's much appreciated.
    Ok but if you think the toner is not good then go ahead and change it, if problem still there let us know but also it could be the problem with the way toner traveling to the developer. Coz you said if you change the dev print dark for sometime then fainted it could be due to lack of toner inside developer try to add some toner to the developer manual then see what happen