Technician

IR 2525 Light/faded prints

Good morning, everyone! As the title states, I have an IR2525 that is producing light prints. I have attached an example. The customer reported that the problem started last Friday morning and proceeded to worsen. I was called in yesterday to take a look. I removed the developer and drum assemblies to make sure there was nothing obvious happening such poor electrical contacts, toner on the dv roller, etc. I checked to make sure the driver was not set to toner save as well.
    Searching this site, I have seen an instance where the toner was the issue and the dv assembly had to be cleaned out and filled with fresh toner. Also, I have read about a spring on the transfer roller not being in its proper place. Can anyone think of anything else? I will be returning today to check the above mentioned remedies but want to make sure I haven't missed anything. Thanks to everyone in advance for any insight you can provide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: IR 2525 Light/faded prints

Are you sure you are using the genuine toner? If so have you tried to clean the laser unit?
    Many times if the genuine toner is used,a dirty laser unit coated with toner brings the above scenario.
    Also try to clean the charger roller of the drum.

Technician

A reply! Awesome! Genuine toner is being used. I didn't have time to return to the customer yesterday but will be going back today. I will check the laser assembly. My only concern is that a dirty laser usually causes faded printing consistently across the page. The prints coming from this copier are much more faded at the lead edge than the rest of the page. Can a dirty laser cause this? See the example I've included. I have witnessed many strange things in my tenure as a tech, so I won't rule it out until I've actually cleaned the assembly. Anyone else have any thoughts? Sample 2.jpg

Technician

Ok. I am at the customer’s location. I replaced the drum assembly and cleaned the laser assembly, however the problem remains. I read on another thread that there should be a leaf spring on the front of the transfer roller. I do not see one and have included a pic of the front side of the roller. I can’t remember what this area is supposed to look like. Does anyone notice anything missing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mattguthrie View Post
    A reply! Awesome! Genuine toner is being used. I didn't have time to return to the customer yesterday but will be going back today. I will check the laser assembly. My only concern is that a dirty laser usually causes faded printing consistently across the page. The prints coming from this copier are much more faded at the lead edge than the rest of the page. Can a dirty laser cause this? See the example I've included. I have witnessed many strange things in my tenure as a tech, so I won't rule it out until I've actually cleaned the assembly. Anyone else have any thoughts? Sample 2.jpg
    It appears a bit away from dirty laser. I wish you could try with another working dev. If it continues, check the ends corresponding to the lead edge for the transfer roller. Just a question: What is causing the different appearance at the end of the transfer roller?

Technician

Thanks for the reply. What's causing the strange appearance at the end of the transfer roller? My poor photography skills! Sorry about that. The print is laying on a towel and I failed to crop it correctly before I uploaded the image.
    I messed around with the transfer section some more cleaning contacts and making sure contact springs on the machine side were all lining up correctly and so on and trying to see if anything was bent, cracked, missing, dirty, etc. Still no luck. I wish I had a parts machine so that I could start switching assemblies to see if anything changed, but I don't. If I can't figure out anything new this morning, I'm going to have to pass this one on to the local dealer. I can't leave my customer hanging.

Technician

Replacing the HVT-PCB fixed the problem. Thanks to everyone who submitted a reply. Every little bit helps.