Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

ImageRunner C3480i Black Horizontal Lines

Hi guys,

My ImageRunner C3480i has been working great, until a couple of months ago when these black horizontal lines (in portrait) appeared all of a sudden. I checked different rollers and didn't find any scratches that matched the pattern. There is a pressure roller that has black lines that match the ones on the printed paper. I cleaned the foam pressure roller with alcohol but the lines on the roller came back immediately after running a few pages through it. The lines on the page are never affected by anything.

I am the end user but I have always worked on my own machines for several years, so I don't mind tearing it down. (tightwad) I haven't been able to find a service manual for this one, I don't have much info to go on. I've Googled and YouTubed it till I'm sick of both.

Where would the best likelihood be for the culprit of these lines?

optimized.jpgoptimized-2.jpg

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: ImageRunner C3480i Black Horizontal Lines

Quote Originally Posted by StripedApe View Post
    Hi guys,

My ImageRunner C3480i has been working great, until a couple of months ago when these black horizontal lines (in portrait) appeared all of a sudden. I checked different rollers and didn't find any scratches that matched the pattern. There is a pressure roller that has black lines that match the ones on the printed paper. I cleaned the foam pressure roller with alcohol but the lines on the roller came back immediately after running a few pages through it. The lines on the page are never affected by anything.

I am the end user but I have always worked on my own machines for several years, so I don't mind tearing it down. (tightwad) I haven't been able to find a service manual for this one, I don't have much info to go on. I've Googled and YouTubed it till I'm sick of both.

reread your post... " i cleaned XXX it went away .. but came back."

foam " pressure roller" fuser pressure rollers are coated with a rubber coating..

WHERE is the roller you cleaned?

*** hint *** NEVER clean a SOFT foam roller with ANYTHING but a lint free soft CLOTH...DRY!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    reread your post... " i cleaned XXX it went away .. but came back."

foam " pressure roller" fuser pressure rollers are coated with a rubber coating..

WHERE is the roller you cleaned?

*** hint *** NEVER clean a SOFT foam roller with ANYTHING but a lint free soft CLOTH...DRY!

Thanks for the quick reply. The roller I cleaned is located inside the right hand door toward the bottom. Here are 2 more images. They may show its location better. This roller doesn't really have a rubber coating. It's soft foam rubber. I'm sorry, I don't have a service manual, so I'm not using the right words.

door-opt.jpg

side-door-opt.jpg

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. The roller I cleaned is located inside the right hand door toward the bottom. Here are 2 more images. They may show its location better. This roller doesn't really have a rubber coating. It's soft foam rubber. I'm sorry, I don't have a service manual, so I'm not using the right words.

door-opt.jpg

side-door-opt.jpg
    That is the 2nd transfer roller. Bad move cleanung that with IPA...

Ok.. pull drums.. more likey the K drum or ITB are the culprits..but you need a 2nd Trans roller also.
    Start a print/ copy job you had probs with..
    When you hear paper pickup..open a door. (This will cause a jam so CAREFULLY remove paper.
    Pull drums and belt.. look for a mark/smudge like you describe..
    Is it on drum? Replace..
    Just on belt? Replace cleaning blade in ITB.

You might want to be sure to cover drums with paper after removal.. light can damage a PCU

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Hi guys,

You need to replace the black drum. Order part number 0456B003AA

The roller you cleaned was the transfer roller, the lines visible on this were "transferred" from the worn out drum. (hence the name transfer roller!)

If you are a REALLY big tightwad you can swap the yellow OPC with the black you will then have yellow lines but not black this is OK if you dont print a lot of colour.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Sorry for for the lag in response, guys. All of the replies have been very helpful.

I've had to take a medical diversion for a couple weeks. Angiograms aren't very pleasant.

I did the trick mentioned of sending a print job through with several pages and then opening a door. That really threw some light on the whole process at work with these printers. It's an amazing technology.

I really didn't see any lines on any drum rollers, per se; just the ITB. I think I've got a cleaning unit for the ITB not doing it's job? It looks like the main thing that affects the copies and would cause heavy black lines on the pressure roller.

The cleaning units Canon part # FM2-5523-000 sell on ebay for about $35.

Would this be worth the gamble?

I hope in all of this troubleshooting that I haven't damaged the drums with the ambient room light. 8(

Installation help, please!

I found the new Intermediate Cleaning Unit on ebay for $25.00. It came in this morning, so I am tackling it.

I finally found a service manual that I could download. It mentions a lubricant for the 'scraper sheet'.

What is the lubricant?

Is it vital?

Thanks

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Installation help, please!

I found the new Intermediate Cleaning Unit on ebay for $25.00. It came in this morning, so I am tackling it.

I finally found a service manual that I could download. It mentions a lubricant for the 'scraper sheet'.

What is the lubricant?

Is it vital?

Thanks
    Basically its just fine chalk powder, however you can just use yellow toner, make a light dusting over the belt before you fit the cleaning unit, this is to stop the cleaning blade from flipping.

You will still need to replace the black drum for the fine lines on your prints.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk