Technician

Canon C2030 Gear Skipping

I have a c2030 that is clearly making the sound of a skipping / jumping gear when printing. Usually only does it on the first couple pages then goes away and stays away while the machine is warm, comes back when cold. No printing quality or jamming issues. No codes. Sound appears to be coming from center of the machine, around ITB and / or fixer area.

ITB and pickup rollers on tray one are about 130% usage, fixer 75%.

Quick inspection shows no noticeable stripping on any gears, but my gut / ear are pointing me to the ITB.

Any thoughts?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Canon C2030 Gear Skipping

Could be a couple of things, weird machines these, hate them with a passion. Usually find its the fixing assy causing this, but also drums click and make a noise too, you can actually take each drum out in turn and close the door, it will go into rotations before coming up with the drum message but will let you know if the drum is making the noise, but id go with the fixing assy, often sounds like its coming from the ITB

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SIN3R6Y View Post
    I have a c2030 that is clearly making the sound of a skipping / jumping gear when printing. Usually only does it on the first couple pages then goes away and stays away while the machine is warm, comes back when cold. No printing quality or jamming issues. No codes. Sound appears to be coming from center of the machine, around ITB and / or fixer area.

Quick inspection shows no noticeable stripping on any gears, but my gut / ear are pointing me to the ITB.

Any thoughts?
    ======================================

if they are Helical Gears__ it's sometimes hard to notice worn down teeth, they usually skip/jump/or walk over in spots on opposite engaged helical gear __make some noise_ usually cause no jamming.
    ================================================== ===============

ADVANCE C2225 / C2230 / C2030 / C2025 / C2020
    Clicking noise from the rear of the machine.

Clicking noise from the rear of the machine.

Isolation of the noise was difficult and several assemblies were replaced from a working machine trying to isolate the clicking noise coming from the rear of the machine.

Removed and inspected ITB. Turned the ITB by hand, checking for binding. = Replaced ITB to rule out assembly.
    Removed drum, let machine go through rotation, = still has noise.
    Fuser was replaced,= still has clicking noise.
    Replaced waste toner assembly, = still has noise.

Check set on hopper operation for binding and run by hand to check gear meshing and turning without binding.

Replacing the main drive resolved the noise issue.

imageRUNNER ADVANCE C2030 / C2025 / C2020 Series
    Part number = FM4-7716-000 MAIN DRIVE ASSEMBLY

imageRUNNER ADVANCE C2230 / C2225 / C2220 Series
    Part number = FM0-4719-000 MAIN DRIVE ASSEMBLY

**Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

NEVER do a second hand main drive on these machines
    ALWAYS new but try and upsell to 3530

I have had the pleasure of doing a main drive on one of these machines
    Biggest POS I have ever had to do it on, seriously what was Canon thinking releasing this model to the market
    500k or more, end of life

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Any thoughts?
    I have had drums make that noise. You just have to find which one.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I had one that the noise was caused by the ITB, another couple that had a fuser gear that was wonky...but the remaining ones I had that gave me that noise was usually a drum unit that was the culprit.

Follow the troubleshooting steps for the drums listed above... that should narrow it down for you.

Any thoughts?
    If it doesn't make the noise when (re)booting and it only does if it's warming up, my money is on the fixingunit, had this several times. Drum's can make noise but its lik krr-krr-krr... Fuser goes like KRRRGGGGG...
    Johan