canon ir3225 black lines

I have a canon imagerunner 3225. I have black lines that come a good way down the sheet, they start at top and work their way down, maybe 1/2 way. They repeat every 40mm which would tell me if this is a roller it has a 12.75mm diameter. The lines seem to get lighter when there is less toner on the page and increase with more toner printed on the page. I replaced the drum with a drum rebuild kit, it did not fix the problem. Is this the fuser?
    20190809_182528.jpg

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    canon ir3225 black lines

Re: canon ir3225 black lines

Quote Originally Posted by cowking View Post
    I have a canon imagerunner 3225. I have black lines that come a good way down the sheet, they start at top and work their way down, maybe 1/2 way. They repeat every 40mm which would tell me if this is a roller it has a 12.75mm diameter. The lines seem to get lighter when there is less toner on the page and increase with more toner printed on the page. I replaced the drum with a drum rebuild kit, it did not fix the problem. Is this the fuser?
    20190809_182528.jpg
    well ...
    1) OEM genuine or compatible drums/toner?
    2) did you thoroughly clean all:
    feed/transfer/guides/transport/laser areas?
    3) copy or print?
    4) life of consumables?
    5) end user or tech?
    6) print out of consumable/service parts life?

frankly... -= IF=- you really want help you should give AS MUCH information for us to go off
    of.

PhilB. " The Dentist "

looks like the dev unit. pull it out and clean the mag roller

Service Tech

The way you are holding the sheet of paper suggests the paper is feeding out of the machine short edge first (A4R or landscape). Is that right? The lines suggest it came out long edge (portrait). If it did then your cylindrical theory stands and it looks like the Fuser since the dev roller is not 12cm diameter. Inspect the heat roller by turning it and you may see that pattern. It’s not the drum if you changed it and the exact same pattern persists.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    well ...
    1) OEM genuine or compatible drums/toner?
    2) did you thoroughly clean all:
    feed/transfer/guides/transport/laser areas?
    3) copy or print?
    4) life of consumables?
    5) end user or tech?
    6) print out of consumable/service parts life?

frankly... -= IF=- you really want help you should give AS MUCH information for us to go off
    of.

PhilB. " The Dentist "
    Sorry I'm new to posting here.

1) I use oem toner but non oem drums
    2) I have cleaned those area with a dry lint free cloth
    3) both copy and print
    4) I'm not sure what that means, the toner is probably changed every month, this has been going on now for at least 6 months
    5) I'm an end user
    6) I don't have a print out of the parts life, most would be original, and we are looking at 10 years or so.

Someone else asked about the way I was holding the paper, I believe that my picture got rotated some how in the download process. I was printing where the long side of the paper comes out of the machine first, portrait.

So I'll check out the dev unit and the mag roller and also the heat roller. Thanks
    Last edited by cowking; 08-10-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Service Tech

To be honest you’ve done well already as an end user but I would not recommend messing with developing units if you are. Removing and checking the fuser would be less intrusive for an end user but you would still probably benefit from calling a qualified technician.

i am expecting you may be an IT guy right?

Try printing solid black and seeing what the line looks like before removing the developer unit. Does it show any missing toner or slight creasing at all?

Quote Originally Posted by redzventures View Post
    To be honest you’ve done well already as an end user but I would not recommend messing with developing units if you are. Removing and checking the fuser would be less intrusive for an end user but you would still probably benefit from calling a qualified technician.

Try printing solid black and seeing what the line looks like before removing the developer unit. Does it show any missing toner or slight creasing at all?
    I'm a pastor actually, but I like tinkering, I've had this whole thing taken apart before, clogged hopper, installed a new finisher. I've even designed and 3d printed improvements to the rollers and have 3d printed new gears. (If anyone wants weighted finisher rollers let me know, they grip way better than oem). So I'm not really afraid to try anything.

I tried printing all black, and as the picture will show where it used to leave black lines they are now kind of white. (PS picture is rotated 90 degrees again I don't know why)
    20190810_093804.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by redzventures View Post

I'm not sure if my reply went through or not, sending the picture again. I tried printing in all black this is what I got. The picture is probably rotated, it did come out of the copier long side first.

20190810_093804.jpg

going off the dev mag roller suggestion, I went in and sure enough that mag roller had some gunk on it. After quite a bit of elbow grease got it off and now have beautiful prints again. Thanks guys!!! Problem solved.