Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    thewild

iRC 3200 : move from 2003 to Samba, scan to SMB fails

Hi all !

We added an Samba server on our local network.
    Our network is AD 2003 based.

At first, our ImageRunner was configured to send scans on a share that was located on the Win2003 domain controller. I had to disable compulsory signing in Domain Controller Security Policy (as mentioned in a lot of places). This worked fine after changing the security policy.

Now, we have a brand new Samba server (running on OpenSuse).
    I moved the share where the scans should go on this server, and it doesn't work anymore.

From the ImageRunner control pannel, I just changed the server name (the share name did not change, the subfolder within this share did not change either).
    I have an error "NG" when trying to scan to this share, but no error number. I don't know if I have to enable something to viex the error number ?

From the ImageRunner, I can browse to the server.
    I can see the shares defined on the samba server, but I cannot see their contents (they look empty).
    I can send scans to the root of the share, but I cannot send them to the subfolder where they should go.

Does anybody know what I should do here ?
    Also, telling me how to see the error numbers would be nice !

Thanks a lot for your help !

Quote Originally Posted by the wild View Post
    Hi all !

We added an Samba server on our local network.
    Our network is AD 2003 based.

At first, our ImageRunner was configured to send scans on a share that was located on the Win2003 domain controller. I had to disable compulsory signing in Domain Controller Security Policy (as mentioned in a lot of places). This worked fine after changing the security policy.

Now, we have a brand new Samba server (running on OpenSuse).
    I moved the share where the scans should go on this server, and it doesn't work anymore.

From the Image Runner control panel, I just changed the server name (the share name did not change, the subfolder within this share did not change either).
    I have an error "NG" when trying to scan to this share, but no error number. I don't know if I have to enable something to view the error number ?

From the ImageRunner, I can browse to the server.
    I can see the shares defined on the samba server, but I cannot see their contents (they look empty).
    I can send scans to the root of the share, but I cannot send them to the sub folder where they should go.

Does anybody know what I should do here ?
    Also, telling me how to see the error numbers would be nice !

Thanks a lot for your help !

Instead of using the server name try using the server IP address, you can do a search also using the server IP. But i'm trying to understand something you said, you said you can scan to the root folder but not the sub-folders

If this is correct your configurations should look like this:

Host: \\192.168.1.2 (example)
    File path: \\shared\sub-folder (whatever the name is within the root folder)

The browse option is the easiest way to set this up, if you see your your server then the root folder but can't see the contents within, check your security settings and firewall, ETC.

thewild
    Hi screwtape, and thank you for your answer !
    Quote Originally Posted by SCREWTAPE View Post
    Instead of using the server name try using the server IP address, you can do a search also using the server IP.
    I tried with the IP address and it does not seem to help.

But i'm trying to understand something you said, you said you can scan to the root folder but not the sub-folders

If this is correct your configurations should look like this:

Host: \192.168.1.2 (example)
    File path: \sharedsub-folder (whatever the name is within the root folder)
    In fact, it looks like this :
    Host : \\myserver\myshare
    File Path : myfolder

The browse option is the easiest way to set this up, if you see your your server then the root folder but can't see the contents within, check your security settings and firewall, ETC.
    I have double checked my security settings (no firewall here) and they are fine. The share is a public share and everybody (i.e. the "Domain Users" group) as access to it.
    The user I have created for the ImageRunner is a member of "Domain Users", and it has not changed since I switched to the Samba server.

What I described was what I got when using the "browse" function :
    I can browse the workgroup, then browse to the server and there I see the 2 shares that are defined on it. When I try to browse the shares, I get an empty listing as if the share was empty (but it is not).

If I don't specify a file path, the scan works (the imagerunner sends the scan to the root of the share).
    If I specify the file path, I get an error. Again, it is very annoying that I don't have an erro number in the log.

I just re-checked and the security settings for the root of the share and for the "scans" folder are exactly the same (in fact, they are inherited).

Any idea ?

Well it seems that your problem is Samba or AD 2003 or the integration between both setups and not the copier. Its quite clear that if can see your workgroup and the root folder when browsing plus scan with no problem ,then the copier is being setup correctly. You can't browse within the root folder when trying to setup, thats a network issue.

thewild
    I understand what you mean, bt browsing this folder works perfectly from all my client computers (Win2003, WinXP, etc...).
    So the Samba server and AD2003 are correctly set up.

There must be something specific to the SMB client of the ImageRunner that does not work with my configuration, and I don't know how to find out what this is.

thewild
    Hi Screwtape,

Printing from any workstation works fine, the only problem is with scanning to a specific folder (on a Samba share).

I deleted the last post, it kind of posted some photos that were pertaining to smb techniques not printing. I'm aware that you have no problem printing to your unit, however if you did not have a problem scanning with AD2003 and the problem occured after setting up samba, there has to be something going on with samba. Why don't you try googling samba and file printing maybe you might find something that can help you out.

Goodluck,
    Screwtape.

thewild
    Yes, I tried that but the best matches where on the copytechnet forum !

I'm going to put this aside for the moment, I'll setup the scan folder on a real windows share and I'll get back to this later.

BTW, are there firmware updates that can be installed by the users for ImageRunner printers ?
    Our iRC 3200 is quite old, and I'm almost sure it was never updated.

Quote Originally Posted by the wild View Post
    Yes, I tried that but the best matches where on the copytechnet forum !

I'm going to put this aside for the moment, I'll setup the scan folder on a real windows share and I'll get back to this later.

BTW, are there firmware updates that can be installed by the users for ImageRunner printers ?
    Our iRC 3200 is quite old, and I'm almost sure it was never updated.
    You need a utility tool called service support tool in order to upgrade firmware. No the customer should not do this, some who knows and is trained on these models is best recommended to do the flashing.

thewild
    OK, but then firmware updates do exist ?
    We have a maintenance contract with Canon for this printer of course, so I think I'll ask them about it.

Then, maybe the last question, do you know why I don't see the error codes in the log on the printer, but only "NG" ?