Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    netintegrity

Question Canon C3100 - E000020-01A9 - Error

Hoping someone can help.

Yes I know the Canon C3100 is not the best of Canon's range, and I have literally looked everywhere on the net for this issue, which is why I finally turn to you guys for help.

I have a Canon C3100, which on the whole works very well (gasp!!). However it occasionally comes up with this error only on starting which may include

1) Starting from Cold Start (e.g. all power off)
    2) Waking up from sleep
    3) Waking up from Energy saver mode

Roughly one out of every three times this error comes up and provides the usual warning on the display giving the E000020-01A9 error and asking to power off and on the unit. In almost all cases, this corrects the issue, until next time.

Just a little more info, this error does not come up until about 1 minute into the printer warm up phase, e.g. LCD has initialised, and is showing "Warming up"

I run it in energy saver or sleep more to save power as we are not using it every minute of the day (small office). Other than that it performs perfectly, no grinding noises. no crunches, nothing...

If I leave on (e.g. no sleep or energy saver modes), it has no errors, and prints happily all day.

Any pointers would be appreciated

Regards

Bob

Senior Tech 100+ Posts kwazimoto's Avatar
    How old is the drum and have you cleaned the density sensor.. that would be the first two things to check..

netintegrity
    First of all, thanks for the prompt reply....

I will be straight up and say that I do not know hell of lot about the C3100 (e.g. no service manuals etc - are there any in PDF format??). I used to service Laser printers (mainly OKI) about 10 years ago, so I know what a drum, toner, and various sensors are and do, but that is about it).

In fact my first thought is that the Drum is not coming up to Temp quickly enough.

In terms of the drum life, I can't answer the question, unless there is some details I can pull out of the C3100 to check this.

The printer count is about 350k, with almost all printing done B/W, e.g. the colour count is less than 5k per colour (mainly header sheets).

Do you know whereabouts the Density sensor is on the C3100, because that is also one possibility that it is dirty (printer was moved recently).

Regards

Bob

E020-01A9 Error Code : iR C3100 Series
    Approved

Symptom
    E020-01A9 Error Code.

Cause
    For ATR control, the detected Toner/Density ratio exceeds the lower limit (3%) 3 times continuously for Yellow

Action
    The ATR Sensor and Patch Image Read Sensor both determine toner density. Depending on the density readings the copier will or will not add toner. Check the status of the Drum Unit under COPIER>DISPLAY>MISC>DRUM-LIFE. The Patch Image Read Sensor looks at a patch of toner that is generated on the drum for each colour and determines the amount of toner that is in the patch by the amount of reflected light. If the drum is not creating the patch correctly, the patch reading will be affected. Replace the Drum Unit if it is 80% of its rated life or higher. ..

Senior Tech 100+ Posts kwazimoto's Avatar
    go into service mode check in display mode i think under misc.. it will tell you drum life.. the density sensor in above the drum until on the left top side in i think i white house.. it is a photo type sensor.. you get into service mode like all canon *2and8 same time then *

When you're asking a question about an iRC3100 series m/c it's always best to include the drum life.
    SERVICE MODE>COPIER>MISC
    If the drumlife is above 80% and you've cleaned the patch read sensor..then it may be time to change the drum.
    If you change the drum and the error continues then you swap a new patch read sensor in.
    To check whether the patch read sensor is at fault go to SERVICE MODE>COPIER>DENS and at the bottom of the 2nd page is a reading called P-SENS-P.
    If the value is less than 500 you have either a dirty or misbehaving patch read sensor.
    For example...the machine throws up the E020 code...you check the P-SENS-P value and it's reading 300...you clean the sensor,let the machine do an idle rotation after you close the door and the reading is 500+ then it was just dirty.
    If after cleaning the sensor,the reading stays around the 300 mark then the sensor is either faulty or the drum surface is worn enough that the patch read sensor is struggling(drum life over 80%)...test with a new drum...if the reading STILL doesn't move THEN you swap the patch read sensor.
    This might all sound involved..but trust me...this is just the tip of the iceberg for troubles with the 3100 series.
    Now I have written this assuming that you're a technician...if not do you have a service agreement with Canon?
    Where are you based in Sydney?
    I can give you contacts if you like.

SteveO
    Need to make sure you update to the latest firmware. Have replaced drums and gotten less than 15% out of them before getting error codes. Something was damaging the drums and Canon came out with a firmware update for it. And always clean the patch read sensor when installing the new drum.

netintegrity
    Wow!! thank you everyone, I wasn't expecting such comprehensive replies, but they are very much appreciated, especially yours OZE.

I have just learnt how to put the Canon into service mode (after finally realising that * is not the numeric *, but the * inside the head). As you can see, happy to research myself what I can.

OZE to answer your questions, it appears that the P-Sens-P is 384, so an issue there...., and worst of all, the Drum is showing 100%, so I think this is is a clear telltale sign.......

Yes in the Western suburbs of Sydney, and yes no agreement with Canon. So if you can recommend a few contacts that would be appreciated, either for parts or someone that comes onsite. Yes I am a technician, but generally not on MFC units like Canon's etc.

kwazimoto, thanks for the direction on the sensor, I have located it, might give it a bit of clean as well.

SteveO, where can I get the latest firmware, so that I can check versions??

Again guys, thank you very much for your help, I am very impressed with this forum.

Regards
    Bob

SteveO
    The latest firmware on the DC-CON is 49.01. Which is where the drum problem is. You can check the version on your machine in service mode COPIER>DISPLAY>VERSION. The only way that i know to get the latest firmware,unfortunately, is through Canon. By the way, the patch read sensor is directly over the drum. Remove the drum and it will be on the upper left side in the middle of the machine. It will have a white/tan cover on it.
    Last edited by SteveO; 03-11-2009 at 12:27 AM.

My best advice is to sign a service agreement with Canon(pretty sure that all of Sydney metro is a Canon area...no local dealers).
    A Drum will set you back approx $600+ if not on an agreement.
    Also...I hope that you're buying Genuine toner for the machine?
    3100's do NOT tolerate aftermarket toner for very long and when it causes an issue it usually costs you a full set of devs...turret gears...toner feed clutches...and so on and so on.
    I recommend ANYONE who has an iRC3100 to be on a service agreement...they're a high maintenance machine.
    A full service contract covers you for toner,travel,parts and labour.
    If you can pm me with contact details(company name and the name and number of the key operator which sounds like it will be you in this case) I'll make a call and a Canon rep will get in touch and see how they can help you out.